3rd year Pre-Med, looking for general advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M_C

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

To provide some background, I'm a third year biochemistry major at Northeastern University. I graduate december of 2020 (4.5 years) and I am aiming to start medical school in the Fall of 2022. I have an interest in Psychiatry/neurology but am also interested in all forms of medicine. I am looking for some general advice in terms of schools to consider, but mostly ways I can improve any part of my application. As of now, I'm really just focusing on striking a balance between school and extracurriculars/social life, which explains why I may not have the most extensive pre-med related extra currics as compared to others.

Anyways some background info.

Cumulative GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: Haven't calculated this, but around 3.8?

Volunteering/Shadowing:
Shadowed for 1.5 months at veterans hospital ER
Volunteered through the asian american community at my school
I've been busy with my co-op + on campus involvement, but i'm hoping to do some more volunteering and shadowing within the next year.

Leadership:
2 Years executive board of my cultural club
1 year representative on the asian american council at school

Research Experience:
3 Months experience Psychology lab research (emotion regulation study)
2-3 months Organic Chemistry organic synthesis/drug discovery lab (haven't done this yet, but I have an opportunity set up with a faculty on campus for this upcoming summer)

Work Experience:
Residential Counselor (Co-OP, full time 40+ hours a week) for 6 months at a psychiatric hospital for children
Great opportunity for me to gain a lot of exposure to clients (ages 4-13) with a range of psychiatric conditions, behavioral issues and diverse backgrounds. I had a great opportunity to not only work with these kids behaviorally, but work with the team of social workers, clinicians, nurses and psychiatrists to develop treatment plans for the children. I also got to shadow the psychiatrists as they interviewed/checked in with clients throughout my time there.

Summer Camp Counselor
This is more of just a chill summer job I do back home for the last 2 years. Academic summer camp for 1st-3rd graders.

Extracurriculars/interests:
Cultural club (filipino student organization)
Asian student mentoring program
Dancing
Running
Public Speaking

Anyways, thanks to everyone who read through all of this. Any advice you can give to me would be great since I am starting to really think about the medical school process now!

Members don't see this ad.