4.0/38 - Lacking in Volunteering/Clinical Exp.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnmike

carrying a message to garcia
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all! I just received my MCAT score (applying this cycle), and I am working on putting together a list of schools to consider. I recognize my GPA/MCAT are very good, but I am concerned some with the low totals of volunteering/clinical experience and at which schools that might most strongly affect my chances (I'd like to apply to at least some top 10-20 schools). I plan to apply to all in-state (TX) schools plus numerous out-of-state ones, but I am looking for ways to improve my app over the next couple months.

White male
TX resident
21 y.o.
No notable hardships
Major: Environmental Geosciences
Minors: Oceanography, Geology

strengths: GPA, MCAT, leadership, unusual major and work experience (?)
weaknesses: little clinical exposure, no real consistent non-clinical volunteering, limited research

GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 38 (14 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)

-Clinical volunteering: 50 hrs over two summers in oncology clinic & on surgery floor; will hopefully complete additional 40-50 hours at different hospital this coming summer

-Shadowing: 40 hrs (18 in radiology, 12 burn doc, 10 gastroent.)

-Research: 1-semester independent project in microbial oceanography + later poster presentation of work (won 1st place in competition); will likely also do independent geochemistry research project senior year

-Nonclinical volunteering: approx. 70 hrs of one-time events and a couple recurring things

-Employment: completed 6-week internship abroad working on databases for professor at university in Spain; in summer '13, will work full, paid summer internship doing environmental data analysis for large chemical company

-Leadership: president of pre-health fraternity, executive officer in five other organizations over last three years, from student government to a science radio show to a dean's advisory panel (my student organization leadership positions have taken much of the time I probably should have devoted to clinical volunteering)

Assuming a good personal statement and three decently strong LoRs, what looks weakest in the ECs in this application? What could I improve and where should I look given that my strengths are in my academic numbers and my leadership? Are certain schools more numbers-based?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Research would likely be the largest deficiency in your application if you do those additional clinical hours. You could try to do a summer research fellowship to bolster your research credentials, and fit in additional clinical/non-clinical volunteering if possible. A few schools I would suggest applying to in the top 20 with your application: Penn, WashU, Yale, Michigan, UChicago, Vanderbilt.

Research would likely be the largest deficiency in your application if you do those additional clinical hours. You could try to do a summer research fellowship to bolster your research credentials, and fit in additional clinical/non-clinical volunteering if possible. A few schools I would suggest applying to in the top 20 with your application: Penn, WashU, Yale, Michigan, UChicago, Vanderbilt.
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, with the internship and clinical volunteering this summer, I won't have time to start research until next fall, when I would have to do it here at my university. If I line up a project this spring, would I be able to indicate that somehow on my application?

Members don't see this ad :)

Why do you recommend those specific schools? Are they known for favouring high stats?

Since you're a TX resident with great numbers, you've got all sorts of great options. Some things to consider:

- The cost of attending medical school OOS will be about $150 - $200K MORE than attending one of the Texas schools (this translates to an extra $2,000 per month for 10 years when you pay it back :eek:). So for that reason, you should only consider those schools that are worth that much more money to you.

- Many of the top-ranked schools are research-focused, so if research is your weakest area, that's what I'd focus on building. If you don't especially *want* to do research, then search out the best primary care schools you can find and apply there (in addition to TX, of course)