4.0 cGPA, 505 MCAT, do I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n1097

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently debating whether I should retake my MCAT or apply this next cycle and see what happens... I know my MCAT is my weakest area, but just wanted to get your opinion on where I should apply if I choose to do so.

-4.0 cGPA
-200 hours clinical volunteering
-800 hours clinical job as an Emergency Department Scribe
-350 hours non-clinical volunteering (President of a community service fraternity and leading/implementing a spring break trip focused in rural health care)
-55 hours of shadowing (felt like my job as a scribe made up for this)
-2 Publications and a summer undergraduate research experience in neuro-oncology
-Very strong LORs from faculty and physicians
-Female Asian, Oregon Resident, very strong commitment to diversity and personal statement

I have always leaned more towards M.D due to my background in research. Should I even apply and what schools should I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at some MD schools with your stats and I suggest all these:
Oregon
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July

Hi Everyone,

I am currently debating whether I should retake my MCAT or apply this next cycle and see what happens... I know my MCAT is my weakest area, but just wanted to get your opinion on where I should apply if I choose to do so.

-4.0 cGPA
-200 hours clinical volunteering
-800 hours clinical job as an Emergency Department Scribe
-350 hours non-clinical volunteering (President of a community service fraternity and leading/implementing a spring break trip focused in rural health care)
-55 hours of shadowing (felt like my job as a scribe made up for this)
-2 Publications and a summer undergraduate research experience in neuro-oncology
-Very strong LORs from faculty and physicians
-Female Asian, Oregon Resident, very strong commitment to diversity and personal statement

I have always leaned more towards M.D due to my background in research. Should I even apply and what schools should I apply to?

Hey, I would definitely retake. Your stats are imbalanced, and you have several months to make up a MCAT study schedule and retake the exam. If you can score a 512+, then I think you can expand your school list a bit and be more confident with your application cycle. If you have the time, I would recommend a retake in the spring. PM me if you have questions on how to study for a retake or so; there are also plenty of resources in SDN as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too late to apply this cycle. Retake the MCAT and try for a 505+. Add Tulane to that list as well. PM me if you have questions.

With a 505 MCAT, here is what I suggest. You need DO school on the list; beggars can't be choosy.
Wake
GWU
Gtown
MCW (maybe)
Rush (maybe)
Creighton
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Oakland U Beaumont
Rosy Franklin
SLU
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
VCU
WVU
OR HS
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.