MD 4.0 GPA 31 MCAT, help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkymonkey0987

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try to not give too much personal information away in this post, so this may not be very detailed.

I have a 4.0 gpa from a well known, private university and a 31 MCAT (10/11/10)
I'm a finance major with a biochemistry minor.
I have research experience, extensive volunteering in a hospital (for 5 years total), I'm an officer in a pre-med organization at my school and I have a really good internship lined up for this summer that is related to healthcare. I have quite a bit of shadowing, over 100 hours. I have really strong recommendation letters also.

As a Texas resident, an obvious reach school would be UTSW. I plan to apply to all medical schools in my state but would like some help in coming up with a school list to some others outside of Texas also. If you would like to post what you think about how competitive I would be at different schools, that would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think you can raise your MCAT to 35+ if you try again? 31 is good but having over a 35 will really make your app awesome.

I don't have time this summer to retake it because I'm at a leadership conference for the next two weeks and then I start my internship

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to try to not give too much personal information away in this post, so this may not be very detailed.

I have a 4.0 gpa from a well known, private university and a 31 MCAT (10/11/10)
I'm a finance major with a biochemistry minor.
I have research experience, extensive volunteering in a hospital (for 5 years total), I'm an officer in a pre-med organization at my school and I have a really good internship lined up for this summer that is related to healthcare. I have quite a bit of shadowing, over 100 hours. I have really strong recommendation letters also.

As a Texas resident, an obvious reach school would be UTSW. I plan to apply to all medical schools in my state but would like some help in coming up with a school list to some others outside of Texas also. If you would like to post what you think about how competitive I would be at different schools, that would be very much appreciated! Thank you.
Your best MD chances really are IS. Unless you have a compelling connection to another state and you can somehow convince us that you would rather come to our state in the secondary (even though tuition is much lower in TX), you are much less likely to get an interview than similar candidates from other states.

Reactions: 1 user