Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD 4.0 GPA 31 MCAT, help with school list?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by funkymonkey0987, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. funkymonkey0987

funkymonkey0987

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    I'm going to try to not give too much personal information away in this post, so this may not be very detailed.

I have a 4.0 gpa from a well known, private university and a 31 MCAT (10/11/10)
    I'm a finance major with a biochemistry minor.
    I have research experience, extensive volunteering in a hospital (for 5 years total), I'm an officer in a pre-med organization at my school and I have a really good internship lined up for this summer that is related to healthcare. I have quite a bit of shadowing, over 100 hours. I have really strong recommendation letters also.

As a Texas resident, an obvious reach school would be UTSW. I plan to apply to all medical schools in my state but would like some help in coming up with a school list to some others outside of Texas also. If you would like to post what you think about how competitive I would be at different schools, that would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. barsoum.michael

barsoum.michael 2+ Year Member

Do you think you can raise your MCAT to 35+ if you try again? 31 is good but having over a 35 will really make your app awesome.

4. funkymonkey0987

funkymonkey0987

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    I don't have time this summer to retake it because I'm at a leadership conference for the next two weeks and then I start my internship

5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Your best MD chances really are IS. Unless you have a compelling connection to another state and you can somehow convince us that you would rather come to our state in the secondary (even though tuition is much lower in TX), you are much less likely to get an interview than similar candidates from other states.

funkymonkey0987 likes this.
  6. barsoum.michael

barsoum.michael 2+ Year Member

I see. You should apply to MD and do sxhools

About the ads