4.0 GPA 495 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdwannabe973

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas Resident
Wanting to apply to MD schools
My MCAT is very bad, but I want to know if I have any chance at Texas MD schools.
I constitute my low MCAT score to having a lot of pain, having to schedule surgery, and having major hip surgery during that time. :( I am only 3 weeks post op from my surgery.

I have about 550 normal clinical experience, 200 patient contact clinical experience, 200 research lab hours, 50ish ED hospital hours. I had to stop volunteering due to my hip. I have held vice president position in my school's chemistry club, and been a member for 2 years.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go to a Texas MD school you will need to retake the MCAT and score at least 505. Do not retake until your practice scores are at least 505. If you score at least 505 you could apply next June.

I'm going to amend Faha's statement. If you want to get into any medical school then you need to retake and put your best effort into studying. Don't make excuses, if you were going through all of that then you shouldn't have taken the test. You can definitely get in but your MCAT score currently really makes your 4.0 look inflated, if you get a 505+ then you should be in decent shape for Texas MD (ideally though 508+)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but no admissions committee is going to care what your excuse was for why you scored low... They WILL care about the actual score on paper. If you want to attend any MD school and the majority of DO schools, you need to retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Your score is horrific. You have no chance with that score.

I think the new MCAT scores (which are beyond stupid, with a range of 475 to 528) are giving people hope when they should not have any.

in the old system, a 495 is a 22.... and you want a 31 or so to get in Allopathic and 40 is outstanding. So when you get a 22, you understand your score is HORRIFIC.

With the new system, 520 is SUPER AWESOME and 495 is only 5% below that, so that must be pretty good, huh??

Reactions: 2 users
You have a chance, especially with the GPA. However, I would say your only chance is if you have extensive research and/or ECs. Just an average applicant with those stats will not go far. I would not advise applying with those stats. I applied with a 496 last cycle with similar GPA, 3 publications, tons of volunteering/shadowing/missions, and I did not get a single interview. I've considerably increased my stats this cycle, and I have 4 II so far.

Prilozac, did you retake your MCAT? How did you study differently? What did you do with that extra year? Do you think being a reapplicant hurt you in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A 495 is lethal for MD and DO, and is a risk factor for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

You have a chance, especially with the GPA. However, I would say your only chance is if you have extensive research and/or ECs. Just an average applicant with those stats will not go far. I would not advise applying with those stats. I applied with a 496 last cycle with similar GPA, 3 publications, tons of volunteering/shadowing/missions, and I did not get a single interview. I've considerably increased my stats this cycle, and I have 4 II so far.

Your score is horrific. You have no chance with that score.

I think the new MCAT scores (which are beyond stupid, with a range of 475 to 528) are giving people hope when they should not have any.

in the old system, a 495 is a 22.... and you want a 31 or so to get in Allopathic and 40 is outstanding. So when you get a 22, you understand your score is HORRIFIC.

With the new system, 520 is SUPER AWESOME and 495 is only 5% below that, so that must be pretty good, huh??
agreed- but at least there are percentiles right next to the scores

EDIT: 495 is 35th percentile

What schools did you get an II from this year?

4.o GPA and a 495? Something isn't right, what happened? Kill the MCAT and you'll be golden.

do you mind sharing your stats for this cycle?
i applied with a 498 last year (no interviews) but am reapplying this cycle with a 505 and wanted to get an idea of what my chances would be

i applied with a 498 last year (no interviews) but am reapplying this cycle with a 505 and wanted to get an idea of what my chances would be
I'll give you a small range because I want to keep anonymity. But I have between 498-506 MCAT and between 3.65-3.75 GPA.

And by the way, I know people with 498 who have gotten MD and DO acceptances. It depends on so many factors and many schools actually care about your ECs and essays.

And by the way, I know people with 498 who have gotten MD and DO acceptances. It depends on so many factors and many schools actually care about your ECs and essays.

they are probably the 1% of people right? Like something really extraordinary in their application I assume...