MD 4.0 GPA 519 MCAT Cookiecutter EC, help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarPlatnium

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Consider adding these schools:
St. Louis
Tulane
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Hofstra
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Vermont

Consider adding these schools:
St. Louis
Tulane
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Hofstra
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Vermont

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of "safeties", I think you'd be better off picking schools that you are well qualified for stats wise, meaning you are at or slightly above their medians.

Emory
Rochester
USC-Keck
Einstein
Dartmouth

You could also try for some of the schools that favor research and high MCATs (Wash U, Vandy, NYU).

Good luck!

Instead of "safeties", I think you'd be better off picking schools that you are well qualified for stats wise, meaning you are at or slightly above their medians.

Emory
Rochester
USC-Keck
Einstein
Dartmouth

You could also try for some of the schools that favor research and high MCATs (Wash U, Vandy, NYU).

Good luck!

Thanks, my ultimate goal is to get into a US MD. You think I have a good chance of doing so? (provided that I do good on my application and interview)

As long as your experiences were meaningful I think you have such a good chance that it's almost silly to even ask!

Thanks, my ultimate goal is to get into a US MD. You think I have a good chance of doing so? (provided that I do good on my application and interview)

Yeah I'd say so, your scores are good and you've checked most of the pre-med boxes. If you have time this summer you could add in a longitudinal shadowing experience in primary care (40+ hours) since it seems like your shadowing experiences were short lived if that 40 hours is split across 3 specialties. You also could get some experience providing service to people less fortunate than yourself (soup kitchen, free clinic, Habitat for Humanity, Big Brothers Big Sisters, etc.). If you can accumulate ~100 hours you could send this experience and the shadowing experience as updates to med schools in the late fall (November) if you haven't been offered interviews. It never hurts to have something new to tell them about your app.

As far as your list, I had a friend with similar stats (slightly lower) who applied to 16 "safeties" and received 3 interviews. He also applied to 6 schools where he matched the median student and also received 3 interviews. So you can see it is more worth your time/money to apply to places you are well qualified for.