mhagerman

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2016
University of Middle Earth
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions on my school list given my application as it stands. I'm a non-traditional applicant so I'm not really sure how my app measures up compared to others.

GPA: 4.0 (UCF Molec & Microbio)

MCAT: 519 (130/131/130/128)

Research: ~500 hours at an ivy studying epidemiology and ecology of foodborne pathogens
~ 500 hours at a major beverage manufacturer's R&D
~ 1500 hours working as a research chemist at a chemical manufacturer. This was paid employment, so I'm unsure if it counts as traditional research (but I still did a lot of it while I was employed there).
~ 300 hours total in two different biology labs during college (plant ecology and DNA studies, mostly)

No publications. I gave informal presentations to research groups after both of my 500-hour stints above, but my name isn't on any papers. Most of my research at my job was driven by production needs and therefore not really publishable (it was also very much proprietary).

Employment: ~ 2 years teaching chemistry and biology (high school)
~ 3.5 years in the aforementioned research chemist position (I was eventually promoted to Manager of QC before I moved to my teaching position)
~ 2.5 years tutoring chemistry at my university

Clinical: ~175 hours volunteering in the ED of a local hospital
~ 50 hours shadowing multiple primary care doctors

Non-clinical: ~1500 hours volunteering at a local community theater over the past 4 years. I've been performing for over 20 years (singing, acting, and dancing) but I only listed this theater on my application since it was the most consistent. I volunteer there both on and offstage. My offstage projects include founding and heading an initiative to renovate the theater's backstage: fundraising, installing floors and walls, all that jazz.
~ 70 hours in a mentoring program for disadvantaged youth through my school
~ 50 hours at Give Kids the World, an organization that hosts children with life-threatening illnesses and their families (this is not very consistent or recent)

Letters: - manager while I was a research chemist
- shadowed physician
- two professors (one from 2011, one from 2016)
- PI in the R&D lab

School list so far:

I'm definitely applying to all my state schools (UCF, USF, UF, FSU, etc) but I'm unsure where else. I do not know if my application makes me competitive at top 20 schools. I'm content applying to all mid-tiers but I don't know where else to go from here.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You're golden; aim high.

I suggest:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA

U MI

U AZ

U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCSF

UCLA,

U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
ALL FL schools

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions on my school list given my application as it stands. I'm a non-traditional applicant so I'm not really sure how my app measures up compared to others.

GPA: 4.0 (UCF Molec & Microbio)

MCAT: 519 (130/131/130/128)

Research: ~500 hours at an ivy studying epidemiology and ecology of foodborne pathogens
~ 500 hours at a major beverage manufacturer's R&D
~ 1500 hours working as a research chemist at a chemical manufacturer. This was paid employment, so I'm unsure if it counts as traditional research (but I still did a lot of it while I was employed there).
~ 300 hours total in two different biology labs during college (plant ecology and DNA studies, mostly)

No publications. I gave informal presentations to research groups after both of my 500-hour stints above, but my name isn't on any papers. Most of my research at my job was driven by production needs and therefore not really publishable (it was also very much proprietary).

Employment: ~ 2 years teaching chemistry and biology (high school)
~ 3.5 years in the aforementioned research chemist position (I was eventually promoted to Manager of QC before I moved to my teaching position)
~ 2.5 years tutoring chemistry at my university

Clinical: ~175 hours volunteering in the ED of a local hospital
~ 50 hours shadowing multiple primary care doctors

Non-clinical: ~1500 hours volunteering at a local community theater over the past 4 years. I've been performing for over 20 years (singing, acting, and dancing) but I only listed this theater on my application since it was the most consistent. I volunteer there both on and offstage. My offstage projects include founding and heading an initiative to renovate the theater's backstage: fundraising, installing floors and walls, all that jazz.
~ 70 hours in a mentoring program for disadvantaged youth through my school
~ 50 hours at Give Kids the World, an organization that hosts children with life-threatening illnesses and their families (this is not very consistent or recent)

Letters: - manager while I was a research chemist
- shadowed physician
- two professors (one from 2011, one from 2016)
- PI in the R&D lab

School list so far:

I'm definitely applying to all my state schools (UCF, USF, UF, FSU, etc) but I'm unsure where else. I do not know if my application makes me competitive at top 20 schools. I'm content applying to all mid-tiers but I don't know where else to go from here.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

OP
mhagerman

mhagerman

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2016
University of Middle Earth
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You're golden; aim high.

I suggest:

Harvard

Wash U