• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

4.0 GPA, 519 MCAT, Nontrad FL resident

mhagerman

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2016
University of Middle Earth
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions on my school list given my application as it stands. I'm a non-traditional applicant so I'm not really sure how my app measures up compared to others.

GPA: 4.0 (UCF Molec & Microbio)

MCAT: 519 (130/131/130/128)

Research: ~500 hours at an ivy studying epidemiology and ecology of foodborne pathogens
    ~ 500 hours at a major beverage manufacturer's R&D
    ~ 1500 hours working as a research chemist at a chemical manufacturer. This was paid employment, so I'm unsure if it counts as traditional research (but I still did a lot of it while I was employed there).
    ~ 300 hours total in two different biology labs during college (plant ecology and DNA studies, mostly)

No publications. I gave informal presentations to research groups after both of my 500-hour stints above, but my name isn't on any papers. Most of my research at my job was driven by production needs and therefore not really publishable (it was also very much proprietary).

Employment: ~ 2 years teaching chemistry and biology (high school)
    ~ 3.5 years in the aforementioned research chemist position (I was eventually promoted to Manager of QC before I moved to my teaching position)
    ~ 2.5 years tutoring chemistry at my university

Clinical: ~175 hours volunteering in the ED of a local hospital
    ~ 50 hours shadowing multiple primary care doctors

Non-clinical: ~1500 hours volunteering at a local community theater over the past 4 years. I've been performing for over 20 years (singing, acting, and dancing) but I only listed this theater on my application since it was the most consistent. I volunteer there both on and offstage. My offstage projects include founding and heading an initiative to renovate the theater's backstage: fundraising, installing floors and walls, all that jazz.
    ~ 70 hours in a mentoring program for disadvantaged youth through my school
    ~ 50 hours at Give Kids the World, an organization that hosts children with life-threatening illnesses and their families (this is not very consistent or recent)

Letters: - manager while I was a research chemist
    - shadowed physician
    - two professors (one from 2011, one from 2016)
    - PI in the R&D lab

School list so far:

I'm definitely applying to all my state schools (UCF, USF, UF, FSU, etc) but I'm unsure where else. I do not know if my application makes me competitive at top 20 schools. I'm content applying to all mid-tiers but I don't know where else to go from here.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    1. Non-Student
      You're golden; aim high.

I suggest:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA

U MI

U AZ

U VM

U WI
      Ohio State

Jefferson
      U IA
      UCSF

UCLA,

U Cincy
      Miami
      Albert Einstein
      Tulane
      Loyola
      Emory
      BU
      USC/Keck
      JHU
      Mayo
      Pitt
      Northwestern
      NYU
      Vanderbilt
      Columbia
      Sinai
      Cornell
      Duke
      Case
      Hofstra
      ALL FL schools

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions on my school list given my application as it stands. I'm a non-traditional applicant so I'm not really sure how my app measures up compared to others.

GPA: 4.0 (UCF Molec & Microbio)

MCAT: 519 (130/131/130/128)

Research: ~500 hours at an ivy studying epidemiology and ecology of foodborne pathogens
      ~ 500 hours at a major beverage manufacturer's R&D
      ~ 1500 hours working as a research chemist at a chemical manufacturer. This was paid employment, so I'm unsure if it counts as traditional research (but I still did a lot of it while I was employed there).
      ~ 300 hours total in two different biology labs during college (plant ecology and DNA studies, mostly)

No publications. I gave informal presentations to research groups after both of my 500-hour stints above, but my name isn't on any papers. Most of my research at my job was driven by production needs and therefore not really publishable (it was also very much proprietary).

Employment: ~ 2 years teaching chemistry and biology (high school)
      ~ 3.5 years in the aforementioned research chemist position (I was eventually promoted to Manager of QC before I moved to my teaching position)
      ~ 2.5 years tutoring chemistry at my university

Clinical: ~175 hours volunteering in the ED of a local hospital
      ~ 50 hours shadowing multiple primary care doctors

Non-clinical: ~1500 hours volunteering at a local community theater over the past 4 years. I've been performing for over 20 years (singing, acting, and dancing) but I only listed this theater on my application since it was the most consistent. I volunteer there both on and offstage. My offstage projects include founding and heading an initiative to renovate the theater's backstage: fundraising, installing floors and walls, all that jazz.
      ~ 70 hours in a mentoring program for disadvantaged youth through my school
      ~ 50 hours at Give Kids the World, an organization that hosts children with life-threatening illnesses and their families (this is not very consistent or recent)

Letters: - manager while I was a research chemist
      - shadowed physician
      - two professors (one from 2011, one from 2016)
      - PI in the R&D lab

School list so far:

I'm definitely applying to all my state schools (UCF, USF, UF, FSU, etc) but I'm unsure where else. I do not know if my application makes me competitive at top 20 schools. I'm content applying to all mid-tiers but I don't know where else to go from here.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

mhagerman

2+ Year Member
      Apr 13, 2016
      University of Middle Earth
      1. Medical Student (Accepted)
        You're golden; aim high.

I suggest:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA

U MI

U AZ

U VM

U WI
        Ohio State

Jefferson
        U IA
        UCSF

UCLA,

U Cincy
        Miami
        Albert Einstein
        Tulane
        Loyola
        Emory
        BU
        USC/Keck
        JHU
        Mayo
        Pitt
        Northwestern
        NYU
        Vanderbilt
        Columbia
        Sinai
        Cornell
        Duke
        Case
        Hofstra
        ALL FL schools

Thank you for your response!

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.