4.0 GPA 520+ MCAT Illinois Resident from mediocre school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longshot6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I am beginning to make a school list for this coming cycle. I just got my mcat score today. I am an Illinois resident from a school in the 140-200 rank in US News rankings. I would like comments on my school list and feedback on my general chances to get into medical school. I am an ORM.

Research:
  • I have 3 years of research and starting a research tech position in June for a job during my gap year. No Pubs though, posters in school research forum, and I received one nationally competitive research grant.
  • Held two competitive industrial research and development internships at a fortune 100 company.
Volunteer:
  • Volunteer tutor to underserved elementary school students for 3 years and served on the board of the organization. (most significant activity): 150ish hours
  • volunteer lab assistant at a high school class: 2 years: 50 hours
Clinical:
  • Hospital volunteer hours: 150 hours, going to continue volunteer during the cycle.
  • EMT-B never used it though
  • shadowing: 50ish hours w/ pediatrician.

School List:
All Illinois schools except SIU
WashU
Penn
U of Cincinnati
Hopkins
Michigan

I also receive FAP, so definitely would like to use all 16 free primary apps. More schools to add to the list would be appreciated.

@gyngyn and @Goro I would love the adcom members of SDN's advice as well!
Suggest forgetting about Rush and Loyola.

Consider
Pitt
Duke
Harvard
all four Manhattan Titans
Einstein
Vandy
Keck
UCLA
UCSF
BU
Hofstra