4.0 gpa and 29Q mcat; retake or apply anyway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

What do you guys think. I definitely want to go to a somewhat respectable school, but my mcat is a bit of a stretch. If I apply, where do you think I should apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, you're fine. 29Q is a better score than you think, at least based on what I've heard around here! If the rest of your resume is at least competitive, I would just apply like you're sure you'll succeed!

where did you go for undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have got to be kidding me! What makes you think that a 29 is a bad score. It is average for most medical school acceptances. And what is your idea of respectable? Cause I can think of none that are not respectable.

apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply apply

Got it?

hey
thanks guys---you made me feel a teensy bit better. i got a 29 as well and i thought it was pretty bad(probably because i've been sneaking around these boards for a while reading about people re-taking the mcat because they thought their 31 was unacceptable)...maybe there is a chance in heck that i'll get in...:rolleyes: :laugh:

It's amazing how damn stupid so many of us can be. A 29 is perfectly fine, unless it was like 12, 12, 5.

Come on guys. We're perpetuating and propagating a bunch of junk when we are telling be to retest at a 30.

Ya, around here a 43 is a descent score and anything below a 37 is subpar. Or at least thats the way it seems. Everyone with low scores needs to understand that 25 is the average that people get taking the MCAT and that 29 is typically the average for getting into medical school.

AVERAGE is 29. This means that for every 35 that got in, a person as low as maybe a 23 got in. Think about it, we all know lots of people with a 30 or above that may have already been accepted. Yet the average is below 29. This shows that people below 30 get accepted a lot.

Best of luck.

I agree with everyone. 29 is average for PEOPLE WHO GET IN. Are you going to Harvard? Probably not. But there are a ton of med schools who would love to have someone with your numbers.

You should definitely apply. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't get in, and you can retest and apply again next year.

Those stats are fine. I think you have a good chance of getting in. :)