Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

4.0 GPA and 97 PCAT but...

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by kkelloww, Nov 27, 2005.

1. kkelloww

kkelloww Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I only have 14 hours completed over last summer. I was planning on applying to most of the schools after the Fall 2005 semester ends when I'll have 32 hours completed with a 4.0. However, I had to apply to Pacific because of their early deadline. Of course, with only 14 hours, I haven't heard from them.

I am an older candidate and it is vital that I get in this year. I have carefully planned the prereqs and I can complete them by next summer.

Is anyone else in my situation with so few prereqs completed? Do you think it would be better to apply now or wait until I get my updated transcripts?

2. dana92085

dana92085 **dana adell**
    5+ Year Member

i just sent in all of my app stuff and i have only completed 43 hours. when i met with the pharm school (in texas) counselor they said that that they would wait to look at my stuff until i get in this semesters courses. i dont know if this helps any. good luck.

3. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think most schools require about 60 hours in prereqs. (?) You won't be considered by any shcool unless you're able to finish all or most of your prereqs before Pharmacy school classes start. You MIGHT get an interview with 32 hours completed... But you still have to be able to finish the prereqs before Pharm school starts. Don't bother applying if you only have 14 hours completed.

4. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't know that no school would consider the application. I can definitely see them holding it pending further grades, though. You may be better off at someplace without rolling admissions. Fall grades are in soon, so then you'll have a higher total.

I find it troublesome that it's this year or never for you. Why wouldn't you be willing to start the program 1 year later? In the grand scheme of life, 1 year is nothing, even if you are 50.

5. pharmeronadell

5+ Year Member

You have an awesome attitude, Bananaface!

6. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Amen, sistah. Life doesn't always go according to plan, folks. Do the best with what cards you have, and if you have a goal, never give up on it, no matter how long it takes to accomplish it.

7. kkelloww

kkelloww Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist

Well, I never said that it was this year or never. However, I don't want to wait another year after my prereqs are completed. I'll have 65 hours by the end of the summer. Has anyone else taken their prereqs in a little over a year and been accepted? And I'm not quite 50. ;)

8. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't believe you were being called "50." That was in reference to "it's vital that I get in this year" and showing that it's okay if it doesn't happen that way, because 1 year isn't a long time, no matter how old you are. ;)

9. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

we had a guy who was 50+ when he started with my class....

not that anyone here is...
    just to say....

10. SearsTower

SearsTower Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    So? I had a guy who was 90 in my class.

11. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You can definately get them done in a year if you work hard. :thumbup:

You can go ahead and apply if you like for 2006, but I think you'd have a much better chance if you waited until 2007. You never know, though. If you have the money and time and energy to do the application process now, go ahead. But I agree that you should not be so strict with yourself... Next year you will be 51 no matter what... either applicant to Pharm school or not. So don't deny yourself the chance if you apply and don't get in this year. Good luck!

12. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'll be 49 in 3 more days. It took me over two years to complete my prereqs, going to school full time. My university didn't let you take Organic I & II until you completed Gen Chem I & II. So, by default it was at least 2 years.

I don't think that the adcom will care if you completed them early. The problem is that you don't have a lot of credit hours right now. When I got conditionally accepted to UF, it was contingent upon my remaining classes - those I was currently enrolled in that spring and the one class I needed to finish over the summer. You need to have the bulk of your coursework done. What classes have you taken and what classes do you have left?

13. kkelloww

kkelloww Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Completed Gen Chem I and II, Economics, History. Currently taking Biology, Organic I, Calculus, Anatomy I, Psychology. I'll be done with those in 2 weeks and I'm taking another 19 hours in the spring.

14. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    When I got accepted, I had not completed Orgo II, Physics II, A & P I or A & P II. That's 16 credits with labs. You should be okay.

15. usi

usi
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Cool! I am applying to UF, and I am taking A&P I in the spring, A&PII and speech in the summer. :)

16. kkelloww

kkelloww Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Cool Dr. Groulx, you made my day! I wish I could apply to UF, I lived in Florida for 15 years, but I'm not a resident anymore. Besides, all my friends are Canes fans so they would give me hell.

17. RLK

RLK Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    97 pcat, 4.0 huh? Bragging sucks.

18. dana92085

dana92085 **dana adell**
    5+ Year Member

and if you want to make god laugh tell him your plans.

(things never go as i planned)