4.0 gpa.. but degree is 6 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if dental schools look at our course load along with our GPA. I know some people that have a 4.0 gpa, but have never taken more than 2 classes together, so that they won't complete their B.S. until after their 6th year. What's better? To take a full load and get an okay grades, or drag it out, and get a higher gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

kct said:
I was wondering if dental schools look at our course load along with our GPA. I know some people that have a 4.0 gpa, but have never taken more than 2 classes together, so that they won't complete their B.S. until after their 6th year. What's better? To take a full load and get an okay grades, or drag it out, and get a higher gpa?

Take the courses like a MAN (or woMAN). D-schools look at course difficulty and load almost as much as they look at the actual grades themselves. Of course if you are working part time, and have other sitautions then it won't be looked down upon. BUT if you are living the life of Van Wilder, and take 7 years to get your degree then even a 4.0 won't look that good. At dental school they will throw 4,5, or 6 classes at us in one semester. They want you to be able to handle the heavy course load. :cool:

^^not just that, but do you really want to spend/waste extra years of your life in college? even the five-year seniors got made fun of at my school: everyone just assumed that they're either dumb or partied too hard. to do it by choice, you have to realize that you're esentially stalling for time, you're "wasting" another year in undergrad when you should be getting on with your career and life. that's one less year of working salary you'll have later on!

Members don't see this ad :)
vandy_yankee said:
^^not just that, but do you really want to spend/waste extra years of your life in college? even the five-year seniors got made fun of at my school: everyone just assumed that they're either dumb or partied too hard. to do it by choice, you have to realize that you're esentially stalling for time, you're "wasting" another year in undergrad when you should be getting on with your career and life. that's one less year of working salary you'll have later on!

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, as some schools have some ridiculous requirements. At my school it is very common do graduate in 4.5 years and you wouldn't be slacking off. The biggest answer to this question is that if you want to go to your school of choice, you have to try to get good grades in multiple classes per semester.

Schools will definitely look at your course-load to determine if you can handle the rigorous schedules in dental schools. Getting a 4.0 while only taking 2 classes may not mean much, but getting a 3.5 or better while maintaining 18 hours or more a semester means you might be able to handle dental school. Of course, schools would like to see a high course load to go along with that high gpa. :)

vandy_yankee said:

at our school, only 31% get out in 4 years and we have 30,000+ undergrads..

The budget sucks and its hard to get into the classes you need, when you need them..

I'm going an extra semester because i have no choice...But six years are just waaay too much..

JamesD said:
at our school, only 31% get out in 4 years and we have 30,000+ undergrads..

The budget sucks and its hard to get into the classes you need, when you need them..

I'm going an extra semester because i have no choice...But six years are just waaay too much..

Wow that sounds very much my school, except we have 40,000 students. Let me guess, you go UCLA? UW - Madison here.

boree said:
Wow that sounds very much my school, except we have 40,000 students. Let me guess, you go UCLA? UW - Madison here.

<<<<<UW-MADISON here too...

How come you chose BU, did you get into Marquette?

BuckyBoy_DDS said:

I'm from Madison, too. Not going to Marquette, either. I've got some friends at Marquette and they don't appreciate the head games and sickening amounts of nepotism that occurs there. I know people from UW that apply only to Marquette and maybe Minnesota, and have to wait 3+ years to get in (with good stats)!! Not sure I understand that reasoning. I think the pre-dent advising is totally slack at Madison. If you can graduate from Madison and have good numbers, you should be able to get in somewhere. Don't you think it's funny how there are hardly any Badgers at schools outside of Marquette and Minnesota?

BuckyBoy_DDS said:

Well for starters, I'm an out of stater. I'm from Boston and have always wanted to go back home for dental school, so I didn't even apply to Marquette or MINNI. I chose BU over a couple other schools because it was my top choice (I wasn't getting into Harvard). But it does seem like every predent here wants to stay around Wisco for whatever reason. You guys from WI?

Ronald Jeremy said:
I'm from Madison, too. Not going to Marquette, either. I've got some friends at Marquette and they don't appreciate the head games and sickening amounts of nepotism that occurs there. I know people from UW that apply only to Marquette and maybe Minnesota, and have to wait 3+ years to get in (with good stats)!! Not sure I understand that reasoning. I think the pre-dent advising is totally slack at Madison. If you can graduate from Madison and have good numbers, you should be able to get in somewhere. Don't you think it's funny how there are hardly any Badgers at schools outside of Marquette and Minnesota?

Agree 100%..I really dont like Marquette. My cousin goes there and he basically tells me that it has an "ultra-cliquey-high school attitude" with people thinking they are better than each other student in every way possible...

The advising totally sucks at Madison..It seems as though, if you're not pre-med, they dont want to help you. I have basically used SDN for everything, because my advisor is crap and is also part of the reason that I'll have to be here another year..

It is sort of funny that most UWers go to Marquette and Minnesota, but then again the majority of the schools in the Midwest are public/in-state schools and are hard to get into if you're out of state.

BTW, what would you consider 'good numbers'.. I havent applied yet..

boree said:
Well for starters, I'm an out of stater. I'm from Boston and have always wanted to go back home for dental school, so I didn't even apply to Marquette or MINNI. I chose BU over a couple other schools because it was my top choice (I wasn't getting into Harvard). But it does seem like every predent here wants to stay around Wisco for whatever reason. You guys from WI?

That makes sense. If you are from Boston, i would go there instead. I'm from WI but i grew up down south..

BuckyBoy_DDS said:
Agree 100%..I really dont like Marquette. My cousin goes there and he basically tells me that it has an "ultra-cliquey-high school attitude" with people thinking they are better than each other student in every way possible...

The advising totally sucks at Madison..It seems as though, if you're not pre-med, they dont want to help you. I have basically used SDN for everything, because my advisor is crap and is also part of the reason that I'll have to be here another year..

It is sort of funny that most UWers go to Marquette and Minnesota, but then again the majority of the schools in the Midwest are public/in-state schools and are hard to get into if you're out of state.

BTW, what would you consider 'good numbers'.. I havent applied yet..

That makes sense. If you are from Boston, i would go there instead. I'm from WI but i grew up down south..

I had to figure most of the app process stuff out on my own. I worked directly with a few of the dental schools that I ended up applying to. It all worked out for me in the end, so whatever.
The people I know who applied 2-3 years to get into Marquette all had numbers above that year's average numbers, which isn't saying much for Marquette. Brian Trecek (DOA) would keep telling me how it was getting 'exponentially' more difficult every year to get into Marquette. So I got a kick out of asking him why the DAT AA was 17.01, PAT was 17, and Science GPA was around a 3.4.....you know, if it's so competitive! Knowing a handful of people who got into Marquette, it seems as if you have bloodlines to the school, don't worry. But, I am a Badger. Maybe that has something to do with me hating on that wanna-be community college in the MKE who's biggest news-maker (besides shafting that dental school student for blogging) was the changing of their mascot from the Golden Eagle to the Gold back to the Golden Eagle with no stop at Warrior. It's good to see that "University" spends it's money on worthwhile things!

Ronald Jeremy said:
I had to figure most of the app process stuff out on my own. I worked directly with a few of the dental schools that I ended up applying to. It all worked out for me in the end, so whatever.
The people I know who applied 2-3 years to get into Marquette all had numbers above that year's average numbers, which isn't saying much for Marquette. Brian Trecek (DOA) would keep telling me how it was getting 'exponentially' more difficult every year to get into Marquette. So I got a kick out of asking him why the DAT AA was 17.01, PAT was 17, and Science GPA was around a 3.4.....you know, if it's so competitive! Knowing a handful of people who got into Marquette, it seems as if you have bloodlines to the school, don't worry. But, I am a Badger. Maybe that has something to do with me hating on that wanna-be community college in the MKE who's biggest news-maker (besides shafting that dental school student for blogging) was the changing of their mascot from the Golden Eagle to the Gold back to the Golden Eagle with no stop at Warrior. It's good to see that "University" spends it's money on worthwhile things!

Hey i read you are going to Buffalo for D-school, or are you already a student?

I was planning on applying there because i'm interested in their DDS/PhD program.

How do you like the school?

BuckyBoy_DDS said:
Hey i read you are going to Buffalo for D-school, or are you already a student?

I was planning on applying there because i'm interested in their DDS/PhD program.

How do you like the school?[/QUOTE
I'll be starting this July at Buffalo. I liked it when I was applying because it seemed like it was a complete, solid school in many aspects. Great clinical experience with your own operatory in years 3 and 4, good specialty placement rates, cool, but not required research (which, as far as I understand, is easy to get involved with), and the fact that Buffalo has the Center for Esthetic Dentistry on campus makes it totally unique when compared to any other school. Buffalo just has many more options and avenues than other schools.
The city is about the same size as Madison, and the metro area is a little smaller than Milwaukee, without all the crime! Amherst (between the two campuses) was just ranked the 3rd safest city in the country. Plus Toronto is about 1.5 hours away.
I was totally impressed at my interview. Oh yeah, if you need to get back to WI for family functions or maybe a football game, it's only $81 round trip from O'Hare! I'm serious! My wife and I couldn't believe that when we checked for flights.