4.0 gpa but not a good mcat taker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wfent21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 4.0 and have taken practice mcats with scores of 18, 27 and 30. I obviously am all over the place with my scores and am hoping for a 33, but preparing for a 28ish. I have worked MOSTLY full time my whole college career, have done over 200 hours of shadowing, am currently doing some research over the summer, have volunteered at nursing homes and with local animal shelters. I feel as if I don't have as much EC as most, but I never really had a lot of time with working constantly while in school. With a 4.0 and score of 28 on my mcat what schools would I be able to get into (md or do)?

Members don't see this ad.

Please give me more information on your practice test scores. Was the lowest (18) scored at the beginning of the studying and the highest (30) scored most recently? It is normal to have practice test scores go up throughout your course of studying.

I currently have a 4.0 and have taken practice mcats with scores of 18, 27 and 30. I obviously am all over the place with my scores and am hoping for a 33, but preparing for a 28ish. I have worked MOSTLY full time my whole college career, have done over 200 hours of shadowing, am currently doing some research over the summer, have volunteered at nursing homes and with local animal shelters. I feel as if I don't have as much EC as most, but I never really had a lot of time with working constantly while in school. With a 4.0 and score of 28 on my mcat what schools would I be able to get into (md or do)?

You'd definitely be fine for DO, and probably fine for MD too. Are those AAMC practice test scores? I don't know when you're taking the MCAT, but if you have a little bit of time, see if there are any particular topics where you need detailed content review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so I have really bad eyes and have trouble looking at a computer screen for longer than 2 hrs, so the 18 was the computer practice test. (I have had eye surgery 3 times so I think that's why I have issues) Everything starts getting blurry and I just start guessing or not reading questions all the way to get it over with because it just puts too much strain on my eyes. I have contacted the disability/special request whatever you want to call it at aamc about letting me take a written test since I do MUCH better on those (27&30). Still waiting on the response for that. The 27 I took my sophomore year before doing anything, then the 30 was after taking some ochem and gen chem, but still without studying anything as far as MCAT books or courses. Obviously I know that if I can't get any accommodations then I'm probably screwed, but I'm studying until then in case that happens.

You'd definitely be fine for DO, and probably fine for MD too. Are those AAMC practice test scores? I don't know when you're taking the MCAT, but if you have a little bit of time, see if there are any particular topics where you need detailed content review.
One of them was AAMC (18) the other two were from the REA MCAT prep book, not sure if those are released AAMC MCATs or not.

Well it sounds as if you really need to get that approved by the AAMC. I have no idea how that process works but I really hope that you get the disability request that you deserve. I would certainly keep on studying and the fact that you can still score a 30 should give you some hope!

Time to stop taking MCAT, since you've finally hit the magic 30 mark, and start applying. Try low tier schools, your state school (if you have one) and DO schools (which will be more forgiving). You should be able to score some interviews.