4.0 M.S., 3.2 B.S. & 34 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arty123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Never thought I'd resort to speculating here, but I think I might have something to benefit from people's thoughts on my situation. I've searched and scrolled through the pages, but couldn't find a thread with stats on the unique-end like mine. So without divulging too much info --

I have a 3.2 GPA for my B.S. in mol bio. I performed poorly my first 2 years due to extended problems including familial and financial difficulties. Half way through junior year I started performing really well in my upper division biology classes and this helped my GPA a bit.

Immediately before completing B.S., I started working in a microbio lab and this turned into an opportunity to pursue an M.S. degree. After 2 years there, I'll be defending my thesis graduating with a 4.0 this June. No publications yet, but will be submitting a paper very soon in a pretty decent journal, impact factor 5.

Taking the MCAT in about two weeks. Judging from my practice exams, a 34 is a conservative estimate - but lets hypothetically assume this is what I have to work with.

I'm also employed by a laboratory as a research scientist, which will turn into a full time position upon graduation. No shadowing experience, havent volunteered in a hospital since high school, and work history is a bit scattered. In the context of a personal statement, I've had a difficult life, and (in my opinion) it's a damn good story of perseverance. I am a California resident. I plan on applying to 30 schools (based on what I've read this seems to be the safe minimum).

In your educated and infinitely valuable opinions, what are my chances? Better still, what tier schools do you think I should apply to? And finally, should I have even a glimmer of hope for the possibility of a school in CA?

Members don't see this ad.

I think as of right now, you won't get in anywhere because you have zero clinical and zero volunteer activities. At this point it doesn't matter what you GPA or MCAT is and how amazing your story is, you need to get some clinical exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think as of right now, you won't get in anywhere because you have zero clinical and zero volunteer activities. At this point it doesn't matter what you GPA or MCAT is and how amazing your story is, you need to get some clinical exposure.

I have about a year (well over 300 hours) spent shadowing a GP in their private practice towards the end of high school and beginning of college. I figured it was too long ago to be worth mentioning, was I correct in that assumption?

I have about a year (well over 300 hours) spent shadowing a GP in their private practice towards the end of high school and beginning of college. I figured it was too long ago to be worth mentioning, was I correct in that assumption?

You could include the portion completed during undergrad. The lack of other meaningful service activities and clinical exposure will still be prohibitive, though.

Concur strongly. You need to show your humanity and altruism with volunteering.

Thank you guys all for the honest and quick responses. I know you're not an admissions committee, so dont get the impression that I'm trying to convince you I'm qualified when I'm not, this is just a follow up question.

I've never been super hesitant about my lack of volunteer hours because I somewhat convinced myself that my M.S. research subsidized that area in the sense that the work I was doing (in addition to work in the lab that employes me) was part of an effort to directly help people in the developing world (medically, for something that effects on the order of 2 billion people). These combined efforts have totalled 60hrs a week over the last two and a half years leaving little room for other ECs. Does this have any weight?

Thank you guys all for the honest and quick responses. I know you're not an admissions committee, so dont get the impression that I'm trying to convince you I'm qualified when I'm not, this is just a follow up question.

I've never been super hesitant about my lack of volunteer hours because I somewhat convinced myself that my M.S. research subsidized that area in the sense that the work I was doing (in addition to work in the lab that employes me) was part of an effort to directly help people in the developing world (medically, for something that effects on the order of 2 billion people). These combined efforts have totalled 60hrs a week over the last two and a half years leaving little room for other ECs. Does this have any weight?

The research does carry weight but the big issue here is that you have not seen a physician in action nor been in a hospital setting. This leads admissions committees to wonder if you have an understanding of what being a physician and in health care entails. It is not that you don't know but more showing the proof you understand.

Also, Goro is a faculty member of a medical school. So I am pretty sure he has been an adcom member. Thus his words do mean a lot.

Hi all. Never thought I'd resort to speculating here, but I think I might have something to benefit from people's thoughts on my situation. I've searched and scrolled through the pages, but couldn't find a thread with stats on the unique-end like mine. So without divulging too much info --

I have a 3.2 GPA for my B.S. in mol bio. I performed poorly my first 2 years due to extended problems including familial and financial difficulties. Half way through junior year I started performing really well in my upper division biology classes and this helped my GPA a bit.

Immediately before completing B.S., I started working in a microbio lab and this turned into an opportunity to pursue an M.S. degree. After 2 years there, I'll be defending my thesis graduating with a 4.0 this June. No publications yet, but will be submitting a paper very soon in a pretty decent journal, impact factor 5.

Taking the MCAT in about two weeks. Judging from my practice exams, a 34 is a conservative estimate - but lets hypothetically assume this is what I have to work with.

I'm also employed by a laboratory as a research scientist, which will turn into a full time position upon graduation. No shadowing experience, havent volunteered in a hospital since high school, and work history is a bit scattered. In the context of a personal statement, I've had a difficult life, and (in my opinion) it's a damn good story of perseverance. I am a California resident. I plan on applying to 30 schools (based on what I've read this seems to be the safe minimum).

In your educated and infinitely valuable opinions, what are my chances? Better still, what tier schools do you think I should apply to? And finally, should I have even a glimmer of hope for the possibility of a school in CA?

You sound a lot like a person I know working in the lab I'm in. :eek: You wouldn't happen to longboard, would you? :laugh:

Anyways, definitely get some clinical experience. You don't want adcoms questioning your commitment to patients.

You sound a lot like a person I know working in the lab I'm in. :eek: You wouldn't happen to longboard, would you? :laugh:

Anyways, definitely get some clinical experience. You don't want adcoms questioning your commitment to patients.

you caught me... :laugh: