4.0 sGPA 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theworldatlarge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a cGpa of 3.97 and a sGpa of 4.0. I am ky resident and would really like to go the MD path. Unfortunately my application will be a little late and that MCAT and is Low. I'm going to apply to Uof, Marshall and UK. I'll know I look pretty good for the majority of DO schools but I would like some advice on what you think my chances are and also some other MD schools that give preference to students from Appalachia or are newer and around the east coast I'd have a shot at. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a cGpa of 3.97 and a sGpa of 4.0. I am ky resident and would really like to go the MD path. Unfortunately my application will be a little late and that MCAT and is Low. I'm going to apply to Uof, Marshall and UK. I'll know I look pretty good for the majority of DO schools but I would like some advice on what you think my chances are and also some other MD schools that give preference to students from Appalachia or are newer and around the east coast I'd have a shot at. Thanks!!!

If I were in your shoes I'd consider retaking the MCAT and applying next cycle. You have a great GPA. It is too late to apply MD and with your MCAT I don't think your chances are very good for MD schools.

Good luck!

If I were in your shoes I'd consider retaking the MCAT and applying next cycle. You have a great GPA. It is too late to apply MD and with your MCAT I don't think your chances are very good for MD schools.

Good luck!

I second this. Also, the discrepancy between your GPA and MCAT will be a red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go ahead and apply in state. 28 might be enough for KY.

I would go ahead and apply in state. 28 might be enough for KY.

On second thought, your KY state school might take a 28 MCAT. I'd consider applying only to your state schools this cycle, so as to save yourself money. It'd come out to maybe a few hundred bucks.

At the same time I'd prep for the MCAT and re-take it in case you don't get in.

I know there is a big discrepancy there but I do have a very strong personal reason ( death of a parent ) that occurred two days before I took the exam. I feel if the 28 can get my personal statement into someones hands I will get an interview invite from my state schools. I know UofL's average is only a 29 or 30 which isn't detrimental and Marshall's is equally as low and they do show preference to students from Appalachia I'm pretty sure. Maybe I'll get lucky guys!!! If not I will retake and reapply or accept an offer from a DO school, waiting another year to become a physician so i'll have different letters after my name seems silly. It isn't like I want to be a NeuroOrthoThoracic Surgeon anyway. The cheaper in-state tuition would be very nice though, if you know what i'm saying!

I'd suggest all low tier MD programs, especially those in VA, Wake Forest, MCW, NYMC and all new MD programs. I think you best chances will be in KY, natch. Take a crack at IU as well.

QUOTE=theworldatlarge;14465866]I have a cGpa of 3.97 and a sGpa of 4.0. I am ky resident and would really like to go the MD path. Unfortunately my application will be a little late and that MCAT and is Low. I'm going to apply to Uof, Marshall and UK. I'll know I look pretty good for the majority of DO schools but I would like some advice on what you think my chances are and also some other MD schools that give preference to students from Appalachia or are newer and around the east coast I'd have a shot at. Thanks!!![/QUOTE]