Jul 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi, so resident newbie here. I'm still getting a feel for the forums, obviously, but just figured I'd try posting here because I'm curious if I aimed for the right schools or not.

Grades: 4.00 sGPA & 4.00 cGPA
MCAT: 511 on the August 22, 2015 test (127 C/P, 130 CARS, 126 Bio, 128 Psych)
Residency: New York
Race: Caucasian
Degree: B.S. in Biomedical Sciences from RIT.
Clinical Experience: ~175 clinical hours as a volunteer health coach.
Laboratory Experience: Worked full-time in a stem cell laboratory for a biotechnology company in summer 2015. Amounted to roughly 360 hours of work.
Shadowing: ~60 hours (oncology, otolaryngology, and radiology).
Other Volunteering: Served as a peer mentor for RIT's undecided program (University Studies), SAT Math tutor for disadvantaged high school students, and other opportunities through my fraternity (e.g. Adopt-A-Highway, helping run an annual 5K for cadiomyopathy research, etc.).
Other Extracurriculars: 3 years as a brother of Phi Sigma Pi (including 1.5 years as chapter president), 3 years on the Model UN team, teaching assistant for Anatomy & Physiology and Organic Chemistry.
Gap Year Activities: Working full-time as a clinical lab technician for a local hospital. Also volunteering with a local outreach group that supports cancer patients on the side.

I had intended to apply for fall 2016 but a family emergency popped up before I could even register for the MCAT in 2015 and I knew it was going to spill into summer and fall, so I opted for the gap year instead. It was something important and I wanted to help resolve it before applying. Yes, the MCAT score's probably not as high as it should be, but I took several practice tests while studying and never got higher than a 500 so I was pleased with the score.

Anyway, here are the schools I applied to:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston U
Brown
Case Western
Columbia
Emory
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Buffalo
NYMC
NYU
Northwestern
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Miami (FL)
Tufts
Pittsburgh
U of Rochester
Wake Forest
Weill Cornell

I know, long list. But I'd been saving up money for awhile anticipating this. So did I make reasonable decisions or have I aimed too high? Any help is appreciated.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You have a few slight reaches but that is OK since you have many schools that are not reaches.

OP
NoteBlock
Jul 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Thanks. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a few interviews, especially for the NY schools, but I know there are a ton of factors in this process, some of them beyond my control. So I'll keep fingers/toes crossed until then.