4.00 sGPA, 4.00 cGPA, 511 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoteBlock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so resident newbie here. I'm still getting a feel for the forums, obviously, but just figured I'd try posting here because I'm curious if I aimed for the right schools or not.

Grades: 4.00 sGPA & 4.00 cGPA
MCAT: 511 on the August 22, 2015 test (127 C/P, 130 CARS, 126 Bio, 128 Psych)
Residency: New York
Race: Caucasian
Degree: B.S. in Biomedical Sciences from RIT.
Clinical Experience: ~175 clinical hours as a volunteer health coach.
Laboratory Experience: Worked full-time in a stem cell laboratory for a biotechnology company in summer 2015. Amounted to roughly 360 hours of work.
Shadowing: ~60 hours (oncology, otolaryngology, and radiology).
Other Volunteering: Served as a peer mentor for RIT's undecided program (University Studies), SAT Math tutor for disadvantaged high school students, and other opportunities through my fraternity (e.g. Adopt-A-Highway, helping run an annual 5K for cadiomyopathy research, etc.).
Other Extracurriculars: 3 years as a brother of Phi Sigma Pi (including 1.5 years as chapter president), 3 years on the Model UN team, teaching assistant for Anatomy & Physiology and Organic Chemistry.
Gap Year Activities: Working full-time as a clinical lab technician for a local hospital. Also volunteering with a local outreach group that supports cancer patients on the side.

I had intended to apply for fall 2016 but a family emergency popped up before I could even register for the MCAT in 2015 and I knew it was going to spill into summer and fall, so I opted for the gap year instead. It was something important and I wanted to help resolve it before applying. Yes, the MCAT score's probably not as high as it should be, but I took several practice tests while studying and never got higher than a 500 so I was pleased with the score.

Anyway, here are the schools I applied to:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston U
Brown
Case Western
Columbia
Emory
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Buffalo
NYMC
NYU
Northwestern
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Miami (FL)
Tufts
Pittsburgh
U of Rochester
Wake Forest
Weill Cornell

I know, long list. But I'd been saving up money for awhile anticipating this. So did I make reasonable decisions or have I aimed too high? Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You have a few slight reaches but that is OK since you have many schools that are not reaches.

Thanks. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a few interviews, especially for the NY schools, but I know there are a ton of factors in this process, some of them beyond my control. So I'll keep fingers/toes crossed until then.