4.0cGPA, 33Q MCAT, LATEEEEEEEE :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amweatherly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
This is my first post here after lurking around for awhile. What are my chances of getting in ANYWHERE and which schools should I apply to if I'm applying this late? I literally submitted my primary on Thursday.

Physiology major at University of Arizona, resident of AZ
4.0sGPA, 4.0cGPA, 32Q MCAT
I'm a scholarship pole vaulter at UofA and I score points at big meets
2 shadowing experiences
100 community service hours
25 medical community service hours

How screwed am I?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you withdraw your app and not be seen as a reapp next season?

Your stats are great, but your ECs are lacking vastly. That plus how late you are does not put you in a good spot at all.

If you can withdraw, I would take a gap year and do a ton of volunteering and maybe some research. If you can't withdraw, apply to IS, schools with a bias for your region, and lower tier schools.

Don't get stressed though. Even if you don't get in this cycle if you do a lot of EC work and reapply early next cycle you will certainly get an MD invite.

OP, If you are going to continue to apply this year you have a shot at MD schools even with your lack of ECs. However, based on the fact that you submitted your primary fairly late on top of everything else I would suggest you apply broadly. Here are a list of schools I would recommend you pursue:-

Albany
Albert Einstein
Arkansas
Boston
Commonwealth
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
George Washington
Hofstra
Jefferson
Mayo
NYMC
Oakland
Rochester
Rosalind and Franklin
Rush
SLU
Stony Brook
Tulane
UCI
University of Central Florida
UMD
Ohio
VCU
Wake Forest
Wright

Members don't see this ad :)
flodhi, how come this list of schools? Are they not rolling decision? A school that interviews late? Or keeps some space open for late applicants? A good match for the stats given?

There's a mix of schools listed there that probably match OP's stats and a few I'm sure that aren't rolling. Arkansas for instance isn't rolling and won't invite OOS to interview until either late December or January if I'm not mistaken.

There's a mix of schools listed there that probably match OP's stats and a few I'm sure that aren't rolling. Arkansas for instance isn't rolling and won't invite OOS to interview until either late December or January if I'm not mistaken.

Exactly I interviewed at Arkansas last year in mid December I think? they invite all OOS applicants together in one day. The school list might not be perfect but the broader OP applies the higher his chances at this stage. Even though some are rolling admission they are going to take a second glance at his impressive GPA and MCAT combination. Best of luck OP get those secondaries in ASAP! You should start by going to the Allopathic School Specific Discussion forum and looking at the first page of each school. You will find all the secondary questions listed which will give you a chance to pre-write. Even though it's not too late it would be best to get those secondaries out very soon. I believe that you can get into medical school this year, just stay positive! :xf:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=688

Exactly I interviewed at Arkansas last year in mid December I think? they invite all OOS applicants together in one day. The school list might not be perfect but the broader OP applies the higher his chances at this stage. Even though some are rolling admission they are going to take a second glance at his impressive GPA and MCAT combination. Best of luck OP get those secondaries in ASAP! You should start by going to the Allopathic School Specific Discussion forum and looking at the first page of each school. You will find all the secondary questions listed which will give you a chance to pre-write. Even though it's not too late it would be best to get those secondaries out very soon. I believe that you can get into medical school this year, just stay positive! :xf:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=688

You guys are the nicest people ever! And I applied to about 75% of the list you gave me naturally so I will go back and apply to the others too! And I know that its really late but track season goes until June and I couldn't take my Kaplan course until the summer because I'm always traveling. Figured I'd apply this round and give it a shot, if it doesn't work oh well. Then I can come back stronger next year, , I know I can score better on my MCAT

PS, I'm a girl :)

What do you think my U of A chances are?

You guys are the nicest people ever! And I applied to about 75% of the list you gave me naturally so I will go back and apply to the others too! And I know that its really late but track season goes until June and I couldn't take my Kaplan course until the summer because I'm always traveling. Figured I'd apply this round and give it a shot, if it doesn't work oh well. Then I can come back stronger next year, , I know I can score better on my MCAT

PS, I'm a girl :)

What do you think my U of A chances are?

Sorry about that! Well my stats were way lower than yours and I got an interview. U of A is pretty strict though they have some crazy legislative laws that force the medical school to give massive preference to IS applicants (district specific acceptance laws). They do accept a decent amount of OOS applicants and I definitely think you have a shot with your stats however they do value ECs a lot. If God forbid you don't get in this year I would focus more on the ECs and not retake the MCAT.

Fortunately I am an Arizona resident so I'm hoping that will give me some pull! What medical school did you end up going to??