4.0GPA, 36R MCAT - Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nymeria2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been reading these forums a lot lately and am looking for some help figuring out where to apply. I go to a top 20 public university, am a Massachusetts resident and, as noted, have a 4.0 GPA with a rigorous double major (both sciences), and got a 36R (13PS/10CR/13BS) on my MCAT.

My ECs aren't as great as most people on this forum, but I think they're okay:
- 100 hours of clinical volunteering (70 emergency room, 30 book cart)
- Year and a half of peer tutoring in physics, chemistry and calculus
- One semester of 15 hours/week biochemistry research. I'm working on my own project and will eventually write a senior thesis. I will be continuing the project full time this summer
- 30 hours of shadowing in various specialties
- Summer abroad in Spain
- Healthcare-related alternative spring break (9 days)
- Assisted with a short research project collecting anthropometric data from high school students (30 hours)
- 5 years working at a grocery store
- Honors program, pre-medical society
I should have pretty standard LORs/personal statement.

So with all this in mind, my question is how high can I reach when applying to schools? I will of course be applying to my state school and a safety, but I'm wondering what would be my chances at the really prestigious top-notch medical schools like Harvard and UPenn. Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a shot with those stats. If you are great at interviewing/writing you will do well. Although I am really not qualified like others here to judge your chances, I really like the grocery job and study abroad you did. Not sure how your research is on par for the giants

Members don't see this ad :)
Have people with similar scores/ECs had success with these high caliber schools?

Your stats enable you to apply to every school in the country. Your EC's might keep you out of the top programs though. The "top" programs strive to pump out the future leaders in medicine and put a strong emphasis on research. From this perspective, your lack of research will not make you a desirable candidate but you never know. If you are not aiming to be in research or academia, getting into A medical school should be your only concern, which you will.

So I've put together a list of potential schools and am looking for some feedback:

Boston University, Columbia, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UPenn, Tufts, UMass, Pitt, Brown, and maybe Mount Siani, NYU and Jefferson.

I would really appreciate any reasons to eliminate any of these schools, or any ideas for adding new ones.

So I've put together a list of potential schools and am looking for some feedback:

Boston University, Columbia, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UPenn, Tufts, UMass, Pitt, Brown, and maybe Mount Siani, NYU and Jefferson.

I would really appreciate any reasons to eliminate any of these schools, or any ideas for adding new ones.
Your EC are weak, so I wouldn't apply too top heavy. I suggest 5 top, 10 mid, 5 safety.

Your EC are weak, so I wouldn't apply too top heavy. I suggest 5 top, 10 mid, 5 safety.

Agreed. Furthermore, many of the schools on your list are research giants. Beware.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk