4, 5 or 6 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AP03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 2nd semester of my Sophomore year (6 credits away from being a Junior). I could easily graduate in 2 years but my GPA is quite low. I was thinking about going an extra year or two (for a total of 5-6 years in undergrad) with hopes that this would help to boost my GPA, at least a little. Is this acceptable for med schools or would it be better to just graduate and complete a post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you will be told that it is difficult to tell you how long you should stay in school without knowing your current GPA.

My AO GPA at my current school is 3.56 but I had some mess ups in the past at the first school I attended which brings my AO GPA to a 2.91 when both are calculated. I understand I'm going to have to pull off a 3.9-4.0 in my remaining semesters but I would just like to know what would be the best route to go from here.

Members don't see this ad :)
a 3.9/4.0 in the next 4 semesters will bring you to a 3.4.. so if u do excellently on ur mcats.. and have excellent EC's... apply at the end of ur senior year.. that means u'll be in med in three years from now.. assuming u got in

If you decide to go ahead and graduate, that's fine. Post-bac classes will be calculated into your undergrad GPA anyway. The advantage of not graduating is that seniors usually get priority to register for classes. If you are a non-degree candidate, you are last on the list after the freshmen. Also, if you need financial aid, it might be harder to come by if you in an informal post-bac.

Graduating in 5 years is not uncommon at all. Graduating in 6 might get a bit of a closer look.

Whether or not the extra year is worth it depends on your exact grades at the end of your fourth year, what classes you take (ie how you use the time) and your MCAT score.

Consider taking Summer classes to squeeze in those classes for 5 years. However, be sure to get A's in the short summer terms.