4/9/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just jumped ship from the Jan MCAT. It was the earliest one I could get after January. Anyone else signed up for this date??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys plan on following the 3 month schedule posted in the sticky thread?

Do you know where the best place would be to get my hands on some berkeley review books?

Do you guys plan on following the 3 month schedule posted in the sticky thread?

Do you know where the best place would be to get my hands on some berkeley review books?

hey, yeah I plan on loosely following the 3 month plan.

I think the best (and probably the cheapest) place to get the berkley books are on the sale forum on SDN, that's how I got mine. Here's the link.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

or you could get them the traditional way - through their website

Hello all. Happy to have a club to discuss the MCAT.
If you go through TBR to order the books they give you a discount on their
CBTs.

No, not using the three month schedule. For me personally that is overstudying.

I'll be taking it on April 9th too.. woo... and I'm scheduled to run a half marathon the day after. Will be quite the weekend..

I'm taking it on Apr 9 as well :) It's my birthday...sort of a sad birthday, lol. I am new to these forums.

I was planning on doing the 3-month thing. However I'm not sure about buying the BR books, since they are so expensive. (and they seem to go quickly on these forums :p) I also just took a practice test (AAMC #6) and did much better than I expected, so I also am wondering if the 3-month thing might be a bit much for me as well (like overstudying). I want a really high mcat though bc my GPA is so horrible. ^^

I'm in for 4/9 in London. Starting the 3 month plan tomorrow to allow for some missed days. Going to be a little more difficult studying while abroad, so definitely going to need this for motivation!

I'm in for 4/9 in London. Starting the 3 month plan tomorrow to allow for some missed days. Going to be a little more difficult studying while abroad, so definitely going to need this for motivation!

i'm finding it so hard to focus with christmas and new years looming. must be even harder abroad. isn't it freezing in london! oh well - good luck everyone! i've barely been studying - so busy with work. the BR books take a really long time to review - compared to EK.

Yeah so I got the next day of studying in before the holidays took over me haha. I'm still in the U.S. for the next two weeks. I'm studying in Spain in the spring, but the MCAT isn't offered there so I figured London would be best. As for the studying, starting back up tomorrow...I promise ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking it on Apr 9 as well :) It's my birthday...sort of a sad birthday, lol. I am new to these forums.

I was planning on doing the 3-month thing. However I'm not sure about buying the BR books, since they are so expensive. (and they seem to go quickly on these forums :p) I also just took a practice test (AAMC #6) and did much better than I expected, so I also am wondering if the 3-month thing might be a bit much for me as well (like overstudying). I want a really high mcat though bc my GPA is so horrible. ^^

I thought I had it bad with my bday the next day! Let's hope we get a great bday present and join the 30+ club :)

I started studying, but it's hard with the holidays :(

me too friends. :/

i totally wasnt shaking when i signed up and my parents dont think im a drama queen. (except maybe a little bit..)

Hey I've been reviewing biology and after my first practice (3R) I have been wondering how much of the embryology and such will be tested anyone have any ideas?

Also I just wanted to clear up a question I had. we aren't allowed to use a watch during the test right?

add me in for april 9th. i'm SO excited to re-familiarize myself with o-chem:bang:

to whoever was doing the MCAT in London.... I'm studying in the UK this semester, but I'm flying home to take it over my spring break. We'll have to cheer each other on with studying for the MCAT while studying abroad.

You guys picked a good date to take the mcat. Everyone I know who took it in april ended up happy with their scores. Some of my friends did better than expected whereas people who I know that took it in jan, jun, or sept are not so happy...

either way everyone i know including me felt like crap walking out of the mcat:D

Just wanted to check and see how's everyone's studying is going. I'm taking a winter intersession course in physio and my finals are next week so I'm really behind in my 3 month plan (on day 34). Kinda stressing out :scared: but hoping to catch up after my finals. How are you guys doing?

410, I'm on day 44, but I gave myself at least a week of buffer days. :) I'm sure you'll be fine; you could probably cram a few days together.

I do well when I'm reviewing, but once I stick a timer on myself, I start freaking out and I don't do so well - that can't be good... Still plugging away, though.

Studying is going decent. Trying to do a full exam every week. The verbal section is what is killing me. Any tips?

I've taken the exam before but I'm focused this time around.

Studying is going decent. Trying to do a full exam every week. The verbal section is what is killing me. Any tips?

I've taken the exam before but I'm focused this time around.

I'm using TPR for verbal right now and all I've gathered thus far, is beware of using answer choices with definitive words like "only" "all" "always". I also circle any words/phrase that may give a clue of the author's tone, usually adjectives. I also circle any analogies because they usually ask about that. It's probably not much help, but that's my 2 cents for now. GL!

I'm way behind in my 3 month plan, have to double up so I have enough time for all the FL. :bang:

I'm using TPR for verbal right now and all I've gathered thus far, is beware of using answer choices with definitive words like "only" "all" "always". I also circle any words/phrase that may give a clue of the author's tone, usually adjectives. I also circle any analogies because they usually ask about that. It's probably not much help, but that's my 2 cents for now. GL!

They really just focus on focusing on Extreme answer choices as opposed to moderate answer choices. The moderate choice will most likely be the answer, however you need to use that short strategy with other things and use it cautiously

any tips on verbal?

i am having problems with understanding some passages (art, philosophy, tone of author ! :( )
and what are softener words that i should look for in answers?
if i was good in verbal, the mcat would be a piece of cake :/

Hey guys I am taking the April 2011 MCAT and was wondering if there was anyone here that is doing so as well that lives in the Houston area or knows of anyone who is?

Wow--I can remember when it was January. My semester hadn't started yet so I was studying EK books everyday and taking a prep course. I was actually excited for April to come so I could get the MCAT done and out of the way.

Now it's almost here, my practice exam grades are fluctuating/hovering at numbers with which I am really not satisfied (January: 29,26,31, February: 28, March: 31) and I'm studying for classes, too.

Anyone else as scared out of their mind as I am? In January I had a high goal (36+ :rolleyes:), and in my dreams I still hope...but I'm still scared!

On a good note I finally finished content review a couple of days ago. *phew!*
I also had the bf change my facebook password so I couldn't log on anymore hahah. Starting to get into the routine of waking up early and eating the breakfast and snacks I plan on having come test day.

Anyway, took AAMC practice test 3 a few weeks ago as a diagnostic and then just took Test 4 and scored +1 in VR but -2 in PS, stayed the same in BS :(. So frustrated with myself because I missed some of the "easy" ones. My scores are all lopsided. Here's hoping I only improve from here on out and can break 30 at least.:xf:

How are you guys doing? Our thread is pretty quiet compared to others. I'll take that as a hint that you guys must be all busy studying :idea: which I what I need to do too. ok gl everyone!:luck:

I've been taking practice tests and doing a second round of content review. I thought physics was my weak area, but chemistry turns out to be my Achilles heel! Not sure what to do except practice, practice, practice.

My scores haven't been great; 26 and then a 28. Trying to improve. :)

I'm taking it this day too. How do you all afford all of this study material? I've taken the free AAMC test and a Kaplan diagnostic test and got the same score on each. Just finished my content studying. Anyone else getting higher verbal scores than PS and BS?
Also is anyone else having trouble accessing the Princeton Review practice test?

I'm taking it this day too. How do you all afford all of this study material? I've taken the free AAMC test and a Kaplan diagnostic test and got the same score on each. Just finished my content studying. Anyone else getting higher verbal scores than PS and BS?
Also is anyone else having trouble accessing the Princeton Review practice test?

Fortunately for me my bf took the mcat this past sept and still had all of his TBR books and resources. As for my verbal scores, they are definitely higher than ps and bs :( Definitely not the even distribution I'm looking for, but I somewhat expected that since I graduated with an english degree. I'm hoping my my science scores go up at least 2 pts and I'll be happy.

Hi guys, we have about 4 weeks left and I just wonder how you guys are all studying for verbal? I am doing EK101 and AAMC practice test every Sat. Is there any other good sources of verbal practice or humanities essays, articles that I can read? I did BR verbal and it is not really helpful.
Scores for EK101 test 5 to 12 are 9 9 10 11 10 11 8 11.
But my scores for verbal in AAMC for test 4 to 8 are 9 11 9 8.
I really feel like I am not going to get a 10 on the real test. Please share whatever tips you have in verbal I really appreciate it.

If you have any questions about studying for PS I will do my best to help. I never score below 13 in PS ever (practice tests) and I got 14 on the last MCAT I took. Thanks.

Mr. or Ms. Slug,

Verbal (as I am told by a currently-in-residency-doctor) is all about strategy, so it depends on your personal style. I hear that Kaplan suggests "mapping", EK tells you to read the passages once and only once, but to take the main point away from each paragraph and there are a bunch of other strategies suggested on SDN. Try lots of different things and see which works best for you.

Fatty Slug,

I agree with adenine. Verbal is all about the approach you take. I was making 4-5s on practice tests 2 months ago, but when I started doing the EK strategy of main idea and author's purpose I began making 8-9's. So if you haven't given the EK strategy a shot, it might be worth it. Never forget practice makes perfect! I did 2-3 passages from EK 101 every single day.

Could you give me some pointers with PS and even BS? I'm still scoring sub 10's on those. Thanks!

I am using EK's approach and my scores did improve since the last mcat but not by much so I guess I will have to do more practice or figure out a new approach somehow. Thanks for the reply. If anyone knows good source of reading for humanities and philosophy please let me know.

To misterdoctor,
I don't know which books you are using but I use EK bio and BR for Gchem, Physics and Ochem. I can tell you how I use those books.

Physics and Gchem:
I like to write out a summary for each chapter that only hits on the big points. I took the BR review course so they gave out their own handouts but I think you can totally write your own. I made very heavy annotation on the handouts they gave and keep reading that.

Don't worry much about the details. It is very important that you understand the principle behind each topics. If certain chapters confuse you (Light topics in physics for me) then write a bit more notes on your handout to help you remember. For topics you understand well just write enough to remind you of what you have to know. The benefit of writing down outline like this is that on the test when you see certain key words your brain will recall that part of knowledge in your memory. You don't need to be able to recall everything without looking at the summary. Just read your summary and as you see a key word look away and try to recall everything you know about it. Rinse and repeat.

Ochem:
The BR Ochem books made summary for you at the end of each chapter so you can use that. Of course write in there what you need to know. For me I write down the ppm shift for H NMR, IR peaks. Even though the BR books for Ochem look thick and wordy, the summary at the end is everything you really need to know for the mcat. Again the goal is connect knowledge to certain key words. For ex: if you read SN2 reaction you should know the solvent, substitute of the reactant... be able to contrast it to SN1.

Biology:
I just read the EK bio and try to put everything into a big system that would help me remember. EK did a good job organizing the book so you won't have a problem. Most of the bio passages are like verbal reasoning passages except it is much easier and usually presents an experiment; pretty much everything you need to answer questions are in there so just read it, use common sense and logic to answer the questions. The stand alone questions mostly require your own knowledge and these are usually easy.

Final tip: the more practice tests that you do you will have a better idea of what the test want from you and modify your summary accordingly.

I hope it helps.