4/9/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just jumped ship from the Jan MCAT. It was the earliest one I could get after January. Anyone else signed up for this date??

Members don't see this ad.

Yay so excited to be done with this in like 6 days. Practice scores are where I had hoped they would be, but just hoping that that is reflective of what my real scores will be! Good luck all!

I tend to do better on verbal when I don't over-analyze. I write a very very short summary of every paragraph, and highlight the odd or unnecessary words... hope this works on test day! Lowest verbal was a 9 and I'm taking the last FL today.

Don't freak out, guys, we can do this! Stay calm and focused. :)

Edit: I have a question for you guys, though - a lot of the threads I've read concerning what to eat/not to eat during the MCAT suggest drinking gatorade so that you don't need to urinate frequently. How does that work? D: I've never heard of that before...

Last edited:
I tend to do better on verbal when I don't over-analyze. I write a very very short summary of every paragraph, and highlight the odd or unnecessary words... hope this works on test day! Lowest verbal was a 9 and I'm taking the last FL today.

Edit: I have a question for you guys, though - a lot of the threads I've read concerning what to eat/not to eat during the MCAT suggest drinking gatorade so that you don't need to urinate frequently. How does that work? D: I've never heard of that before...

Well I would assume that higher concentration of ions/solutes in the gatorade increases osmotic pressure of blood and thus reduces glomerular filtration rate :thumbup:

All that studying coming to use already!

Members don't see this ad :)

It wouldn't. Unless it was some uber salt filled gatorade. I just would limit fluid intake in general, if that's a worry. The small spurts glucose from the gatorade might not be a bad idea instead of a heavier snack though.

Well I would assume that higher concentration of ions/solutes in the gatorade increases osmotic pressure of blood and thus reduces glomerular filtration rate :thumbup:

All that studying coming to use already!

How would increasing blood osmolarity cause you to urine? A high osmolarity solution wants to become more dilute which means retaining water so urinating less.

Is it maybe that the blood gains higher osmolarity and then retains fluid from the body increasing the blood volume and THEN you urinate to decrease that?

Someone please answer, this is a good example to solve.

How would increasing blood osmolarity cause you to urine? A high osmolarity solution wants to become more dilute which means retaining water so urinating less.

Is it maybe that the blood gains higher osmolarity and then retains fluid from the body increasing the blood volume and THEN you urinate to decrease that?

Someone please answer, this is a good example to solve.

No we're saying that gatorade makes you urinate LESS. Higher blood osmolarity means you retain more water (i.e. lower glomerular filtration rate= less urine).

No we're saying that gatorade makes you urinate LESS. Higher blood osmolarity means you retain more water (i.e. lower glomerular filtration rate= less urine).

Someone told me that yesterday and after I thought about it, it made a lot of sense

I don't want to risk full sized beverages so I'm bringing 5 hr energy drinks . I love those things! Oh and granola bars too. Almost there everyone! :xf:

I don't want to risk full sized beverages so I'm bringing 5 hr energy drinks . I love those things! Oh and granola bars too. Almost there everyone! :xf:

Ugh those 5 hour energy things made me crazy anxious - never again! :(

And I don't like gatorade to begin with; also don't have a problem with public restrooms, so I think I'll just stick to some water. :)

Cliff BUILDERS Bars , 22g protein, carbs all u need for ur brain and not much fat to make u tired!! Oh, and coffee in the morning, and another coffee if i need it in case in my locker

I hear you guys on the motivation front... I'm having a hard time caring these next few days, but I really want to keep reinforcing information till the last minute. I'm mostly nervous about staying focused for the full five hours. I'm fairly good at BS until I do it on a full length practice exam, then my score falls by a few points...

In other exciting news, 35 on the aamc 5. But I think the VR must have been ridiculously easy, because I got a 14 while watching the news in the background... another aamc tomorrow, here we go!

WE CAN DO IT GANG! IT'S GOING TO BE WORTH IT! :thumbup:

I hear you guys on the motivation front... I'm having a hard time caring these next few days, but I really want to keep reinforcing information till the last minute. I'm mostly nervous about staying focused for the full five hours. I'm fairly good at BS until I do it on a full length practice exam, then my score falls by a few points...

In other exciting news, 35 on the aamc 5. But I think the VR must have been ridiculously easy, because I got a 14 while watching the news in the background... another aamc tomorrow, here we go!

WE CAN DO IT GANG! IT'S GOING TO BE WORTH IT! :thumbup:

Dude wow..14? Are you a genius? lol. I consistently hit 12~ on PS and BS now, but dude.. VR is killer for me. I get like 8(+/-2)

I spent the past quarter doing an essay-based study abroad program, and it's really helped my VR. I guess there is an upside to spending four hours a day writing? :) But we'll see how I do on the real thing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had a mini anxiety/panic attack :scared: Scores are not where I need them to be....blah!

same here :scared:

My friends keep telling me different things about taking a practice test this week. What do you guys think? One more practice test or spend the rest of the week going over everything and doing practice passages?

I just got a 29 on AAMC 10 :(
All I want is a 30! Is that so much to ask lol

Trying to stay positive and focused, but that's easier said than done... we can always retake, right?!

same here :scared:

My friends keep telling me different things about taking a practice test this week. What do you guys think? One more practice test or spend the rest of the week going over everything and doing practice passages?

I'm doing one more today. Then just going over everything for the rest of the week.

I think doing one FL today or tomorrow should be it. After that, I'm relaxing, memorizing equations, flashcarding. We're not really going to be able to add much more content in to our brains- this is a time for getting comfortable with the little things/testing procedure etc. I'm sooooo ready to be done with this :)

FOUR MORE DAYS!! Good luck everyone, stay focused and calm. What are your plans for the next few days?

I think doing one FL today or tomorrow should be it. After that, I'm relaxing, memorizing equations, flashcarding. We're not really going to be able to add much more content in to our brains- this is a time for getting comfortable with the little things/testing procedure etc. I'm sooooo ready to be done with this :)

Hmmm...I have AAMC 8 and 10 left to take. I was going to take one today and one Thursday--bad idea?

Any thoughts on which to do if I'm only going to do one?

Hmmm...I have AAMC 8 and 10 left to take. I was going to take one today and one Thursday--bad idea?

Any thoughts on which to do if I'm only going to do one?

I dont know if there's a difference, and I dont think it's necessarily a bad idea - whatever works for you. Just dont get burnt out - I feel like it's important to be getting good sleep, eating well, staying upbeat in these last few days. I've been waking up early (to get used to the 8am MCAT time), doing a section, then mostly taking it a little easier than I have for the last 6 months lol!

I guess the one thing you dont want is to show up on saturday exhausted from taking 5 full-lengths in the last 6 days, with no sleep. Just make sure you are feeling good, healthy, and awake!

took the AAMC 11. 11 PS, 13 VR, 11 BS. I'll be okay with this on the final thing, but I'd LOVE to crack 35. I'm hoping some focused review on what seem to be my problem areas will do the trick :xf:

Good luck to everyone else trying to squeeze in a few more full length exams before saturday!

took the AAMC 11. 11 PS, 13 VR, 11 BS. I'll be okay with this on the final thing, but I'd LOVE to crack 35. I'm hoping some focused review on what seem to be my problem areas will do the trick :xf:

Good luck to everyone else trying to squeeze in a few more full length exams before saturday!

Your VR looks great! I've been pretty consistent with 12~ on BS/PS, but VR is all over the place, and it might be a reason for me to retake in case I get a low score. Hoping for the best though!

I didn't mention that I'm not at my target score yet :( ... if you were me would you keep reviewing and practicing or take aamc 11 tomorrow or thursday?

I think I would take aamc 11 tomorrow. And review the heck out of it. And just review weak spots tomorrow and Thursday. Take it easy Friday. Rock it Saturday

Whats all your plans the day before the MCAT?

I plan to wake up early at 6AM, do laundry, and get a nice haircut. Then eat lunch, and I booked a hour massage at a nice salon here in Madison. After that, I will chill out, maybe go buy some clothes and stuff and make a nice dinner with my lovely girlfriend and go see a movie before bedtime at 10PM. Probably the most exciting day I've had in months...finally something to look forward to haha.

Oh, and then after my MCAT in the afternoon, I'm going to do some serious damage to all of my physiological systems with some ethanol...we're having a big house party with plenty of kegs if you guys wanna come if your here at UW-Madison :)

Last edited:
I just got a 29 on AAMC 10 :(
All I want is a 30! Is that so much to ask lol

Trying to stay positive and focused, but that's easier said than done... we can always retake, right?!

Same here!+pissed+

I REALLLLLLLLLY hope I don't have to take it again. That would be the best birthday gift ever.

Friday is chicken parmesan night. :) I'm asked the boyfriend to make me a carbalicious dinner. And then a few days after the test we're going on a date to Ikea.

Today I'm studying the last bits that I got wrong on AAMC 10, and then Thurs/Fri are going to be flashcard days.

Hope I get at least a 30, that's about my average on the practices - although a 45 wouldn't hurt. ;)

Same here!+pissed+

I REALLLLLLLLLY hope I don't have to take it again. That would be the best birthday gift ever.

right on- my bday is 5/11, which is right after we get our results. Not having to restudy would pretty much make my life awesome :)

my biggest fear is getting sick between now and d-day... it happened to me during finals last term and i was trying to not pass out during the exam (which I nearly failed no surprise)

but after the fact, agree with zhaizor on "serious damage to physiological systems" haha

right now i can't keep focus because i keep daydreaming about how amazing life will be after Saturday

right on- my bday is 5/11, which is right after we get our results. Not having to restudy would pretty much make my life awesome :)

Hahah nice! From the looks of it though, you should have nothing to worry about! I pray all of us 4/9ers need only go through this once in their life. I'm going to enjoy the month after, because I have a sinking feeling I won't be thrilled come results day. :shrug:

my biggest fear is getting sick between now and d-day... it happened to me during finals last term and i was trying to not pass out during the exam (which I nearly failed no surprise)

but after the fact, agree with zhaizor on "serious damage to physiological systems" haha

right now i can't keep focus because i keep daydreaming about how amazing life will be after Saturday

ME TOO! My left eye is starting to hurt and last time this happened it got infected and became swollen shut! I also get terrible allergies in the morning. Man, if that happens it would be such a cruel joke!:(

Im taking the test this sat too. Im trying to do my final aamc but my order is not showing up. I called them and they said theyre updating their "database" and it will be available later this afternoon. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hahah nice! From the looks of it though, you should have nothing to worry about! I pray all of us 4/9ers need only go through this once in their life. I'm going to enjoy the month after, because I have a sinking feeling I won't be thrilled come results day. :shrug:

I'm sure you'll do great - positive attitude and confidence will go a long way. If you go in with the attitude that you have done all you can and that you are going to tear it a new one, you'll be less nervous - it'll be a self fulfilling prophecy:thumbup:

Dude, the month after the MCAT I'm pretty much going to do 5 things only:
1) sleep
2) go to work work (boo)
3) play guitar
4) play video games
5) sleep

so stoked - almost there!!

I got a 29 on AAMC 10 :(

I was doing so well... and now I enter the exam with low confidence haha

I did the exact same thing - got one of my lowest scores yesterday. It's ok! You know what you are capable of - 1 sample does not appreciably change the average!

Hey guys I took AAMC 11 today, and I had questions on 1 from the PS section. I'm not sure of the rules about posting AAMC question information, so I will just say # 20
I got 10^4 and their solution says 0.01 X 0.05 X (2 x 10^8) /10 =10^2....which I still get 10^4? Am I just losing my mind or is the math wrong?

YES.

I also fly back to the UK about 48 hours after taking the exam, so I suppose I should do some packing for spring too. Cramming for this thing has seriously interfered with the shopping I was planning on doing before heading back... I might try to make up for that on Sunday.

Thinking about being done with the exam makes me so happy! :claps:

Hey guys I took AAMC 11 today, and I had questions on 1 from the PS section. I'm not sure of the rules about posting AAMC question information, so I will just say # 20
I got 10^4 and their solution says 0.01 X 0.05 X (2 x 10^8) /10 =10^2....which I still get 10^4? Am I just losing my mind or is the math wrong?

I missed this one too, for the same reason. I brushed it off as a math mistake on their part.

Hope this helps!:)

It's alright! We got this guys! :highfive:A positive and confident mentality is key to taming this beast. I'm done being scared of this thing and want to literally tackle this stupid test. :diebanana:

been averaging 34-35 on the aamc's and after getting a 38 on aamc#10, aamc#11 crushed my confidence when i got a 32, especially since im retaking a 32 from 3 years ago and hadn't gotten below a 33 on any of the other aamc's.

oh well trying not to think about it too much

good luck to everyone else on saturday!

Me too! The curve on that thing is harsh. On all the others where I got 114 correct the score came out to 31.

I can't wait for this to be over.

Me too! The curve on that thing is harsh. On all the others where I got 114 correct the score came out to 31.

I can't wait for this to be over.

Yeah :/ anyways it feels great to lay in bed at 7am on my iPhone with nothing to do... Goin to look over kidneys and immune system one last time and do one more VR passage pair today and I'm done!! Except for some physics equation review.

Oh and I'm signing up for LSAT also... Anyone else still undecided law or med? I figure that with a 170 on LSAT which is what my brother got I could get into a top 10 law school where as medicine a 30 won't

Yeah :/ anyways it feels great to lay in bed at 7am on my iPhone with nothing to do... Goin to look over kidneys and immune system one last time and do one more VR passage pair today and I'm done!! Except for some physics equation review.

Oh and I'm signing up for LSAT also... Anyone else still undecided law or med? I figure that with a 170 on LSAT which is what my brother got I could get into a top 10 law school where as medicine a 30 won't

I'm tackling the GRE next. Still haven't decided between MD, PhD, or some combination of med/grad school.

I'm freaking out about the writing section at the moment, to be quite honest. I can write well, but timed writing is not my thing - it takes me longer than anyone else I know to put together an essay. :scared:

Took my last real AAMC today (10) and got my worst PS and BS ever....ahahahahahaaaaaa .. =(
what to do from here...give up? rest? review more like crazy?

Took my last real AAMC today (10) and got my worst PS and BS ever....ahahahahahaaaaaa .. =(

AAMC 10 is ridiculous - got a 29 on it. 114 questions correct. On previous AAMCs where I got 114, that came to be a 31. Not sure what's up with 10...

Just review it (lightly). See where you went wrong, but mainly just forget about it and dont beat yourself up. Most importantly after this afternoon, just get rest and get your mind focused for Saturday.

It's alright! We got this guys! :highfive:A positive and confident mentality is key to taming this beast. I'm done being scared of this thing and want to literally tackle this stupid test. :diebanana:

I agree! I'm sick of practice. After taking a dozen AAMC and Kaplan practice tests (averaging ~35), I'm sick of practice! I'm ready to destroy this test!

I'm tackling the GRE next. Still haven't decided between MD, PhD, or some combination of med/grad school.

I'd probably end up doing something along the lines of an mph or phd in ph with a combination of medical anthro or history of med etc.