4/9/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just jumped ship from the Jan MCAT. It was the earliest one I could get after January. Anyone else signed up for this date??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you guys on the peeing. Like jeez I peed a lot during each break! And yeah, PS was brutal :/

Is there just one test given out today or multiple versions?

On mine I felt physical and bio were pretty hard. Ochem was easy actually, maybe one or two hardest quetions.

In terms of verbal (my lowest): it started out easy and got a little harder along the way. Passage 5 messed me up, Idk if it was hard for others. But then the next two were really hard too. So Idk, I hope the curve is what it was for AAMC 11.

i ****ing ran out of time for verbal. had like less than 10 minutes left with one incomplete passage + many others marked from others...had to read it quick and make educated guessed on everything.

it seemed like it was one of the reading heavy verbal sections, which usually means that the questions are straight-forward...my guesses seemed alright. no idea what im getting on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
on my later tests, i scored 10/11...i got a 13 on a test before once. i should have practiced my timing a lot more...i got lazy and did a lot of verbal sections untimed. i could seriously get anywhere from an 8-13...on my 13 test, i was running out of time too and had to make educated guesses on a bunch.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was extremely difficult. I think there are different tests because I only remember 2 ochem passages... unless it mind f__ked me to the point of no longer remembering :scared: The discretes were definitely tougher than AAMC's

PS: Definitely harder than the practice tests which I routinely finish with 20 min to spare and score 13 most of the times except for two 14 and one 11. How I feel about the test usually depends on this section so I seriously thought about voiding it. I may be paranoid since I usually do so well on this section. Guessing a 12 here.

VR: Passages are more interesting compare to the practice tests. I really have no idea how I did on these which is often how I feel really. Many times after practice tests I thought I blew it but ended up getting a 10. Hopefully it is the same this time? Another reason made me think about voiding. Hoping for a 10.

BS: Standalone questions are harder than passages questions oddly enough. They asked really weird topics that I did not see the review covers. I know for sure I missed 51; I talked myself out of the correct question. Fortunately this happened at the end of the test. More O chem than expected but not hard. I feel this is the easiest section of the test. Guessing a 12 or 13 here.

Can people please post on their feelings for verbal? I'm trying to gauge how I did...

What did you guys think compared to AAMC 11?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...definitely harder than any practice test or MCATs that I remember (except for TPR number 8), especially PS, which is usually my best section as well. More orgo than usual too, and the last two passages in verbal were a little ?? to me. Don't think I did my best writing today either.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was hard...though I envy those of you who thought it was easy.

Hopefully thinking it was hard means I actually did well, as opposed to my previous tests when I thought they were okay and didn't measure up to par. I think I'm gonna keep studying at least until the scores come out just in case :(

i disagree with most of you. i think BS was the easiest section. everything made perfect sense.

Can people please post on their feelings for verbal? I'm trying to gauge how I did...

What did you guys think compared to AAMC 11?

Harder. Passage 6 was :wtf: to me, though that may be because I didn't pace myself well either.

PS was harder, and that's usually my best section. BS was harder too actually. Seriously thought about canceling after finishing the test...but what's another $235 or whatever...:eek:

I thought PS wasn't too bad, probably my best section. VR no clue. BS killed me, discretes were really tough and I spent alot of time on the first couple of passages. Hoping for a forgiving curve.

Did you guys feel that the first like 4 passages were ok and then the last three were a lot harder. I know I messed up one passage, but I'm hoping I did ok on the rest...

Might want to read the AAMC rules before joining this chat room

AAMC can't do **** lol. It's a public chat room. Unlike SDN, chat dialogues don't save on tinychat. Once it's gone it's gone.

It felt rough, but hopefully that's just the normal post-test pain. My last three AAMCs were 32 (10PS, 13VR, 9BS), 29 (8PS, 11VR, 10BS) and 34 (9PS, 14VR, 11BS), so hopefully it is something in that range. I know I walked out feeling pretty abused though. Glad it's over!

Say you didn't click "save" at all after you wrote out your entire passage, will you still get credit? I thought you just had to write it out....

Haha, my MCAT was last month, and I freaked the f out when I realized during the course of my second essay that I never hit "save" during the first. After getting home I did a little digging, and as best as I can tell, the essays auto-save every 10 sec or so and then again when you submit. Apparently the "save" feature is just insurance against a freak power-outage or something along those lines... I hope? Anyway, I'll let you know when I get my scores in a couple weeks.

Just a friendly reminder guys:

"MCAT Reminder Notice: Don’t Discuss Exam Content After You Take the MCAT, on Internet Postings or Otherwise

The AAMC has requested that SDN provide the following reminder notice to all MCAT® examinees:

When you take the MCAT exam, you agree to a nondisclosure agreement that includes a prohibition on disclosing exam content. This means:

You MAY comment on your general exam experience such as test center conditions or how you felt about a particular section, such as the writing section or biological sciences.

You MAY NOT:
  • Post the text (full or partial) of a test question and/or a test answer
  • Reconstruct a list of topics tested in a particular section
  • Mention a specific topic that was tested on an exam
  • Outline the steps or process to answer a specific question
  • Speculate about which passages are field test or experimental items

This policy is intended to protect the fairness and integrity of the examination process for all examinees. Thank you very much for you cooperation.

While you may read or hear other guidelines that are not consistent with these statements, keep in mind that this information is directly from AAMC and is meant to help you share your MCAT experience without violating the nondisclosure agreement. For more information, go to https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...iscussion.html."

Verbal was absolutely brutal. :(
PS seemed average and Bio was easy (??!) but did have a lot of genetics - makes me extremely happy that I took genetics in undergrad!

So happy to be done. GRats everybody.

I'm the "bio was harder than usual" camp, and I'm kind of pissed that there were 3 o**o sections (yes, three oslo sections). Whatever- its all in the past now!

Hey so I guess I wasn't the only one who felt literally AMBUSHED by Phys Sciences. In all my practice tests I'm pretty rock steady at a 10, but I just felt so thrown off course by that section yesterday...I wonder what that was all about, was it particularly difficult or just beginning nerves? Unfortunately I thought the VR was difficult too, I had to rush through my last passage, but the last two practice tests I took were both 10's, (up from highly variable 8-11's). Oh yeah, the girl sitting next to me was sniffing her snot SO loudly during VR, I almost reached over and strangled her. :mad: (Put on the headphones for the remainder of the test).

I loved the writing section. During practice tests sometimes I felt stuck coming up with good examples but I just took off on those prompts and actually enjoyed the intellectual exercise of writing the essays (I'm a fairly good writer). I also felt really confident on the BS, except for some of the discrete q's that I had to guess on. Hope I rocked the passages to outweigh any flubs on discretes.

I took all AAMC practice tests, up until this week however, my scores were disappointingly around 28-29 (goal: 32Q). BUT, just this week I took the last two AAMC's 10-11 and got 31 both times! So that was comforting going into the test, but PHEW, who knew PS could be so ridiculous.

This was my 2nd time taking the test (July 2010 first time).

Here's hoping all the effort was worth it and it makes my application complete!

my thoughts.
PS: Not too bad
VR : same ol' same ol' VR
BR: ok. except for a few discretes here and there.
Thanks guys.

i actually dont know how to feel about this exam.....

i couldnt sleep the night before. i actually got like 2 hrs maybe. Then while taking the practice exams, i usally feel rushed etc on ps and v. but on this test i did not. i felt like i did everything correctly and missed maybe only a few. when on practice exams i feel as if im guessing a lot. the same with verbal, lots of guessing and skimming and rereading and time runner outing (if you will. lol) didnt happen on the real thing.. bio was about the same..

this makes me uneasy however.. idk if ive fallen for mcat tricks or what.. on practice exams i felt owned..and still made decent scores in the end.. avg about 32.. this time i didnt feel owned.. idk how i feel.. im sure someone out there gets what im saying..

i actually dont know how to feel about this exam.....

i couldnt sleep the night before. i actually got like 2 hrs maybe. Then while taking the practice exams, i usally feel rushed etc on ps and v. but on this test i did not. i felt like i did everything correctly and missed maybe only a few. when on practice exams i feel as if im guessing a lot. the same with verbal, lots of guessing and skimming and rereading and time runner outing (if you will. lol) didnt happen on the real thing.. bio was about the same..

this makes me uneasy however.. idk if ive fallen for mcat tricks or what.. on practice exams i felt owned..and still made decent scores in the end.. avg about 32.. this time i didnt feel owned.. idk how i feel.. im sure someone out there gets what im saying..

Are you talking about AAMC practice tests? If so I think you are the only one that even imply that this test is about the same as the practice tests. Read my post above for my feelings about the test.

Are you talking about AAMC practice tests? If so I think you are the only one that even imply that this test is about the same as the practice tests. Read my post above for my feelings about the test.

no no not at all.. im sure my thoughts typed up there are just as scattered as they are in my head.. sorry about that.. i was saying that after practice exams i usually feel as if i guessed mostly.. and am never too sure of my self.. on this exam.. i felt like i missed no more than 5-6 questions per section .. which i never feel like that after practice exams..i feel as if i did horribly.. and then i do ok..

that being said.. this is a new feeling.. i would very much rather feel as if i got owned.. because thats how i always feel after practice exams.. but i dont feel like that.. and usually when that happens.. i either did really well..or i bombed.. i just hope i didnt fall for a bunch of tricks..

I'm really happy to hear i wasnt alone. I studied my butt off for this exam. I feel that if I studied more I couldnt have done any better.
Normally the discrete questions are easy points but it seems in physics they made this especially tough!

Physics- normally my best section, I was rushing to finish and once the section ended I felt uneasy.

Verbal- DEATH TO THE VERBAL SECTION! can't believe we had a passage on energy efficiency smh. Anyway finished on time but I guessed so much than normal

Bio- was ok. Wish I had more time to recheck my answers.

Overall the test was so so. I did several practice exams but never felt like I did walking out of the real exam. Semi defeated feeling. Now it's the waiting game. By the way I had taken the MCAT before.
Siiiiigh now it's the waiting game

Yeah waiting sucks. I took the MCAT 2 years ago and got a 32. I didnt get in that year, and then that test expired, which is why I took it again last Saturday. I think the test went well, but if I score less than 32, it will look really bad on my app - pressure!

Whatever - need to find something to distract myself for the next month. Does anyone feel like they have about 600% more free time now than they did a week ago:laugh:. Dont know what to do with myself.

Yeah waiting sucks. I took the MCAT 2 years ago and got a 32. I didnt get in that year, and then that test expired, which is why I took it again last Saturday. I think the test went well, but if I score less than 32, it will look really bad on my app - pressure!

Whatever - need to find something to distract myself for the next month. Does anyone feel like they have about 600% more free time now than they did a week ago:laugh:. Dont know what to do with myself.

Same here!! just a few days ago I had no time to eat, and now I'm just chilling and relaxing... I think working on your primary application (if you haven't started already) is good enough to keep you distracted for some time!!

Good luck to all of us on May 10th :)

Hookers and blow.

Is there any way we can find out our scores before may? I can't wait that long I'm going crazy already, I have no idea how I did.

Is there any way we can find out our scores before may? I can't wait that long I'm going crazy already, I have no idea how I did.

I wish there was a way to find out earlier.. I don't know why it takes that long to grade the test when the computer can do it in seconds (excluding the writing section, which could be graded at their convenience as no one cares about it)..

But then again, this whole med school process is about waiting. Waiting for MCAT scores, then for primary application to get verified, then waiting for a secondary application to be received, then waiting for an interview invite, then waiting for the final call.. my point here is - get used to waiting!!

Good luck to all of us!!

lol im in the exact same boat as you. got a 12/8/12 3 years ago and didnt get in when i applied in 2009 so reapplying this summer. really hope i dont get lower than a 32 but even with how hard that test was i dont think i got below a 32.

its crazy getting to do literally nothing after work now because ever since i started my job 7 months ago ive spent every day after work studying for the mcat. feels great!

What are your guys' plans? This is my second time taking. I bombed verbal the first time and I'm hoping I did decent this time around. I feel ok about four of the passages but then passage 5-7 were tough. I used my best judgement but I'm not sure how I did. I feel better overall this time than the first, but I've read some stories about people feeling good then bombing verbal again. What do you guys suggest? I was considering dental, but that's not what I want to do.

I'm applying no matter what this time. I just hope I get in somewhere. I have a high gpa from a good school and pretty good ECs. Just waiting on my mcat score....