4/9/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just jumped ship from the Jan MCAT. It was the earliest one I could get after January. Anyone else signed up for this date??

Members don't see this ad.

So we all have some time to kill. I made a very informative graphic about the MCAT we all took last Saturday - posted it at my blog. Check it out if you, too, have time to kill.

is it the norm that if you feel crappy after the exam, chances are that you scored in your average?

My cousins all felt like they bombed and they ended up doing fine.

JW what you April test taker/experienced test takers think

Members don't see this ad :)
The more time goes by, the ****tier I feel about it. I feel so stressed waiting for my score. I think it went ok. I can't think of any mistakes I made but I definitely had to guess a few times. Especially in verbal.

What did you guys think about the verbal compared to AAMC 11?
Also as an example, on the AAMC to get an 8 you needed 24 correct...on the real thing we took do you think you would need less or more than 24 to get an 8?

Thats what I want to know. I hope a 24 still gives you an 8. I feel the verbal was ok at the beginning but it got progressively harder. I looked at all previous scales and an 8 ranges from missing 14 to 16. I hope its 16 on this test.

I thought this verbal was definitely tougher than the AAMC verbal including AAMC 11. Also, one would think that actual MCAT scale is more lenient then the AAMC scales since you don't necessarily take in test like conditions when you take the practice tests. Don't know how far this is true but this is what some have been telling me...any one have any insight to my above two questions?

It doesn't matter about the testing condition. The curves from the AAMC were the curves used to create scores when those actual tests were administered. Thus the curve is accurate. If you thought that the test was harder than AAMC 11 and thats how most people feel, then the curve should be like AAMC 11. But it just depends on how people do.

The best way to predict the curve is just like Calidoc said. Go over all AAMC practice tests and use those curves. I hope the most lenient curve would be apply for this one since it is harder than any of the AAMC I have taken. This whole waiting thing is eating me up inside. This is my last shot and if I did horrible I don't know what to do.

Well I agree it was challenging. I would say on par with AAMC 11. So hopefully, you can miss 16 and still get an 8?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi 4/9'ers Im taking the test in 3 more weeks and I have a question for you. Of those of you that worked on EK 101 (VR) how do you feel about it now that you have taken the real deal? Easier/harder? similar? anything you might do differently? I am personally timing myself a little tighter, since i have heard the MCAT is abit more dense and takes longer but dunno..Anyone?

Hi 4/9'ers Im taking the test in 3 more weeks and I have a question for you. Of those of you that worked on EK 101 (VR) how do you feel about it now that you have taken the real deal? Easier/harder? similar? anything you might do differently? I am personally timing myself a little tighter, since i have heard the MCAT is abit more dense and takes longer but dunno..Anyone?

The topics in EK 101 is easier and the passages are much easier to understand. AAMC practice VR is the closest thing to the real deal for obvious reason. I don't think timing yourself tighter is gonna help since giving you less time doesn't make the passages harder content wise.

friends of mine had 2 organic and one very easy bio passage. I had 3 organic passages without the easy bio passage. any chance one of them was experimental? do they usually mix up a whole passage with a different subject on tests at the same time? it seems they shouldve at least been bio/bio or ochem/ochem passages. kind of sucks because that wouldve been a guaranteed 6 or 7 more questions right for me, instead of a maybe 6 or 7 more with the ochem.

No one can make the predictions about the experimental passages/questions. Only the AAMC know. All you can do is hope for the best and see if the score reflects your performance before deciding to retake (if you DO decide to retake). Sad, but true.

Hey so how do experimental questions work? If you get 2 exp questions then they grade you on 50 questions only? Isn't that worse since now each question is weighted more?

I tried to think of the bio passages and I can remember all except for one. I dont know why I cant remember it. Maybe that one was the easy one and therefore I just went through it and it didn't leave an impression? Idk. Can we mention the vague topics of each passage or not?

Also, maybe that is why it takes so long to make the curve. If there are different versions, they have to make a different curve for each.

EK 101 gets REALLY bad after test 11 or so. I've done well on all AAMC tests, and the final 3 EK 101 passages were poorly written. I got like an 8 on every one. On the earlier ones I was getting around 11 every time with a 12 or two.

I did not find PS particularly difficult. Then again, I was really in the zone and didn't really let anything alter my goal of just answering as correctly as possible.

Then I got to VR and did pretty badly. Man. That one passage from that one book really got me hahaha. The overall length of passages was more than I expected.

Essays topics were pretty simple/generous to write about.

I remember that there were a few questions in bio that made me scratch my head. I typically finish this section with about 15-20 minutes to spare, but I ended up going down to the last second.

I found that there were definitely a lot more "ah ha!" moments than most TPR / AAMC practice tests I took; there was clearly trickeration:mad: happening (or maybe I just noticed it more)...like the science passages that had SO much content, but the questions were extremely simple. Or some very peculiarly worded Bio questions :D

:luck:Hope you did well. Hopefully I did really well :luck:

Last edited:
Can everyone remember the 7 bio passages? I cant remember which the seventh one's topic was, but I'm sure I did them all because I pressed the review button to go look at the ones I marked and there weren't any blank ones. I'm nervous that I can't remember them all. But I can't remember all the physics ones either. Is this normal?

Hey guys and gals.

So the 4/16 test date seemed to be met with a 'weird' PS section.

Was what most of you saw completely different than all the AAMC practice exams?

For this test day...physics didn't have any 'weird' passage ...at least what I remember as of now

Also, what do you think it will be around to get an 8 in verbal?....the number of questions that have to be correct to get an 8

Hey guys and gals.

So the 4/16 test date seemed to be met with a 'weird' PS section.

Was what most of you saw completely different than all the AAMC practice exams?

Our PS was pretty standard, and I thought a little easier than the average AAMC practice exam, but the bio was, I thought, harder than the average AAMC exam- more orgo.

Can everyone remember the 7 bio passages? I cant remember which the seventh one's topic was, but I'm sure I did them all because I pressed the review button to go look at the ones I marked and there weren't any blank ones. I'm nervous that I can't remember them all. But I can't remember all the physics ones either. Is this normal?

From reading other threads, this sounds about right. And yeah, I really don't remember ANYTHING about the test anymore, except this one PS question I got wrong :(

2 more weeks!

Hey 4/9ers! I hope you all are enjoying your post MCAT lives. I am taking it 5/7 and was reading through this thread and noticed the majority saying that the PS was more difficult than the AAMC practice tests. For those of you who took Kaplan FLs, did it compare in difficulty? I'm hoping not harder than the Kaplans because the sciences on those tests can be ridiculous sometimes. Thanks guys and hoping for great scores for all of you...and future me. haha.

Hey 4/9ers! I hope you all are enjoying your post MCAT lives. I am taking it 5/7 and was reading through this thread and noticed the majority saying that the PS was more difficult than the AAMC practice tests. For those of you who took Kaplan FLs, did it compare in difficulty? I'm hoping not harder than the Kaplans because the sciences on those tests can be ridiculous sometimes. Thanks guys and hoping for great scores for all of you...and future me. haha.

Okay, so I have not weighed in at all on my testing experience, but I feel like this is a question I have a legitimate answer to. I took the Kaplan classroom course and used their online and paper materials to study. Physical Science was pretty consistently my worst subject--I REALLY struggled witih Physics at school, as well.

The best way I can describe PS on the 4/9 MCAT was "weird". I found that in most practice tests (both AAMC and Kaplan) there tended to be 1 or sometimes 2 passages that were so convoluted and advanced in their subject matter, that barring some sort of coincidental specialization in the topic at hand, there was no way you'd be able to truly wrap your head around exactly what the passage was talking about--like they specifically WANTED you to be too confused to comprehend to see how you'd handle yourself. Now, in practice tests, I sometimes found that I'd actually do better on these types of passages--the questions tended to be very conceptual and not require a lot of calculations, and the answers tended to be in the passages, even if obscured by complicated details. What blew my mind was that I felt like at least half of the passages on the 4/9 MCAT PS section were in this format. It left me feeling as if I'd done a LOT of guessing...

Don't know if this answers your question at all, but if you know the kind of passages I'm talking about, it should help you understand why the PS section was perceived as extra difficult.

EK 101 gets REALLY bad after test 11 or so. I've done well on all AAMC tests, and the final 3 EK 101 passages were poorly written. I got like an 8 on every one. On the earlier ones I was getting around 11 every time with a 12 or two.

Were your aamc scores in line with EK101 for all the ones but the last 3?

Okay, so I have not weighed in at all on my testing experience, but I feel like this is a question I have a legitimate answer to. I took the Kaplan classroom course and used their online and paper materials to study. Physical Science was pretty consistently my worst subject--I REALLY struggled witih Physics at school, as well.

The best way I can describe PS on the 4/9 MCAT was "weird". I found that in most practice tests (both AAMC and Kaplan) there tended to be 1 or sometimes 2 passages that were so convoluted and advanced in their subject matter, that barring some sort of coincidental specialization in the topic at hand, there was no way you'd be able to truly wrap your head around exactly what the passage was talking about--like they specifically WANTED you to be too confused to comprehend to see how you'd handle yourself. Now, in practice tests, I sometimes found that I'd actually do better on these types of passages--the questions tended to be very conceptual and not require a lot of calculations, and the answers tended to be in the passages, even if obscured by complicated details. What blew my mind was that I felt like at least half of the passages on the 4/9 MCAT PS section were in this format. It left me feeling as if I'd done a LOT of guessing...

Don't know if this answers your question at all, but if you know the kind of passages I'm talking about, it should help you understand why the PS section was perceived as extra difficult.

Thanks for the insight. I know what you mean about the 1-2 difficult passages. Hopefully there's a generous curve on the PS section since it was perceived to be so difficult.

Thanks for the insight. I know what you mean about the 1-2 difficult passages. Hopefully there's a generous curve on the PS section since it was perceived to be so difficult.

And let me just clarify--its not that the passages are just difficult, they're more "out there."

I found the AAMC practice exams to be easier than the official MCAT because:

1) The passages were much longer on the official MCAT; so there was a major timing issue. I used to finish the AAMC practice exams with about 15 min to check my work. On the official MCAT I didn't have time to fully answer the last passage to the best of my abilities.

2) The practice exams have more content and memorization style questions than the actual exam. For example: most of the practice exam questions coming from the passage I could answer with previous knowledge without having to read the entire passage.

3) It's the real @$&$#&*$ so of course it's harder because your heart is about to pop out your chest! LOL

Thanks for the input MermaidMD. Based on your thoughts, I can say that the passages were like TBR science passages. Some passages are about subjects that go over your head, but still maintain the main concepts. The problem with TBR are the questions, I feel like the questions and answer choices are wordy and confusing. I'm averaging 11-12s on the PS and BS, but I'm missing 2-3 questions per question on the TBR passages. My question is: should I continue with the TBR passges (both PS/BS) or focus on EK/Kaplan passages?

Also, besides the EKs/AAMCs, what are some sources of good verbal practice that mirrors the real deal? Are Kaplan verbal passages good? I agree with people about the EK 101 being easier to understand; so I'm looking for passages and/or questions that are equally difficult or more difficult than those in the AAMC verbal section.

Thanks.

**I wouldn't mind input from any of you fellow MCAT takers.

I dreamed that I got a 7 in verbal last night. I still remember feeling really sick in the stomach as I saw the score sheet. The funny thing was that I realized I was dreaming the moment I saw the score sheet. In the dream I thought to myself "Wait a minute. It couldn't be this bad since I have never scored a 7 in practice before so statistically this is unlikely. It must be a dream" and it was. Only 10 more days.

If scores come out early, someone post here immediately! It's been known to happen; my score came out several days early back in 2008. Don't hold your breath though... my buddy took the 4/9 test so I just want to be able to tell him when scores are up. Thanks :)

I found the AAMC practice exams to be easier than the official MCAT because:

1) The passages were much longer on the official MCAT; so there was a major timing issue. I used to finish the AAMC practice exams with about 15 min to check my work.

Same here; I usually finished the practice tests with plenty of time to spare, but on the real thing on 4/9 it was down to the final seconds on all three sections. At least I had time to answer every question...

Good luck, guys!

And remember, this number is only going to dictate about 86-94% of the rest of your time on Earth.

:xf:

jakes, everyone will be okay.

Interesting illusion in your profile pic, there are only 5 people but if it weren't for the super-white person I'd think there were 10 individuals :)

Hey 4/9ers. As you are waiting this final week for your scores, I am less than a week a way from taking mine. Based on your recent experience, do you have any last words of wisdom for me (ie - important topics that showed up, etc.)

Er...well, the topic's aren't gonna be the same...just rest up a bit before the test, read that manual thing beforehand so you know what to expect, get there early, don't change your "test routine" (like drinking 10 5-hour energy shots if you don't normally do that), and good luck! :luck::luck::luck:

Some good advice a doctor gave me before the 4/9 test was to forget about the score you want and just focus on the questions while you're taking the test; just relax and concentrate on what's on the screen, and the score will take care of itself.

Also, no one can tell you what specific topics showed up on our MCAT, so don't ask. It wouldn't be useful to know anyway because your test will be different.

Good luck!

Based on your recent experience, do you have any last words of wisdom for me (ie - important topics that showed up, etc.)

I agree with the previous posters - don't change your routine. You've done your studying, you've got it down, you're ready to destroy the MCAT. Relax for couple days and do minimal studying.

You know what you need to know to get an awesome score - just focus and be smart.

You'll do great. And if not, at least you can come back here and flame me about it.

Good luck!!

Hey Guys,

I'm in the midst of finishing up the EK101s for my upcoming mcat and I feel that the last 3-4 tests are much harder than first 10 sections. Did anyone feel that way too? Also, would the last 4 VR sections from EK101 match the difficulty (passage/questions) that I would expect on the real deal?

Last edited: