4 "c"s in pre-req's and still have great sci gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rae_Kel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumour. But, I am not sure if it is true.

A classmate stated, "You can have 4 "c"s in your pre-med req's, as long as your sci gpa is not affected. If this is true one can rely on upper division science courses and college science courses taken for humanities majors and still get a great BCPM gpa.

I have a feeling that the 4 'c's in the req's don't look good. Please tell. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Rae_Kel (edited April 28, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

I can definitely tell you that a C doesn't look good in any pre-req courses. When in doubt strive for a B+ or better, However, if I did get a C I would want it to be in something like English or Psychology rather that O-Chem or Physiology. That's just my opinion.

hey,
i had a few C's(i don't remember how many exactly) and was still accepted to three of the five schools that i applied to and wait-listed at another. i know a couple were in sciences too, so don't worry about it. but you may get asked about it and will need to be able to give a plausible explanation. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the misfortune of getting four C's, all in chemistry courses, so this really lowered my science GPA. My non-science GPA was fine, these clases are easy anyways.

Rae_Kel,

If your sci gpa is >3.5 or so, you *should* be o.k. The fact that the four Cs are all in chem may be interpreted as a weakness in this area, however. I had 2 Cs, both in chem, but got into several schools. I have no doubt, however, that I lost interviews because of those two Cs, even though my sci gpa was about 3.6. Is there an option of retaking any of these courses and improving your grade? Do you have other, non-C grades in chem classes?

Be prepared to explain these grades, either in your personal statement or at interviews.

Good luck.

Dr.No,

Are you in at a med school?

I got straight "C's" in General and O-Chem....still got accepted (I think I may have gotten a C in Genetics too...but I don't remember). The point is that you CAN get in with C's. Just keep your GPA high and try to take "other" courses to show that those C's aren't a trend. For me, I took Biochem I & II, got A's and that seemed to do the trick!

Good Luck!

My science GPA was 2.9 where (A=4) I only got one interview, and one acceptance. I was lucky to be accepted on my first try...

congrats to cobragirl and Dr. No

Cobra, your going to school in florida right? which one?

and Dr. No,
which school did you get accepted to?

Hope I'm not prying... :)

Hi. This question is for everyone who posted their acceptances with low sci GPAs. I'm curious what schools you applied to and what other credentials you possessed which you feel were influential in your success to gaining admission. Thanks

I have been accepted @ NYCOM and received interviews @ Univ. of Missouri (wait list) and New York Medn (have not heard back yet) in addition to NYCOM. I only had about a 3.2 Science GPA, with C's in two semester of calculus and a C in my 2nd semester of physics. The rest of my grades were B's and A's. The things that I feel were most important in overcoming the mediocre grades were a solid MCAT (with no huge gaps between sectional scores) and hospital work experience. I also think that being a Russian Lit major helped some. Unusual majors and study abroad experience help your app stand out in a crowd of Biochem majors. Just my 2 cents. I'm interested in hearing what everybody else did.

I had a few C's on my transcript, but did very well in other classes. I did work throughout my undergraduate education 40-60 hours/week though. Sometimes 60+. I still got accepted. Be persistent.