4 Verbal....need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pudgyp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did poorly on the Verbal section and really need help choosing which materials to use to raise that score for August. I already bought the Bio, orgo, phys., chem books from ExamKrackers. Is their verbal book worth purchasing?

Members don't see this ad.

have you considered Princeton Review. I'm currently taking the course and I think their verbal workbook/review is really challenging. They also suggest outside readings because they think that the more you read, the better you will be at zeroing in on main points and learning to read for key points instead of getting lost amongst detail. If you want the book list or periodical list, let me know... but just keep on reading and good luck in august. I'll be right along with you studying!!

dude examkrackers verbal is the best I have seen so far. I already have the Princeton Review ones, their verbal workbook passages are very challenging but their technique on how to approach the verbal section doesn't flow with me. Kaplan is the same. I heard berkeley's is bad. But with the examkracker's techniques I have been able to increase my score 3-4 points on the practice exams (I originally got a 6 in my MCAT verbal). so definitely get it, it's worth it!

Hey...

Is there a specific book devoted just to verbal that Kaplan and/or Princeton review puts out? If so, please give me the title. All I can find for them is their comprehemsive MCAT books and I'd prefer to concentrate just on passages.

If anyone knows any good books that have only passages, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Examkrackers, and did everything they said and I got a 4 twice. I even took EK course. This time I am using Berkely and I am going to order 101 passaged from EK and do princeton passages for practice.

I just wanted to add that neither EK, TPR or Kaplan is really responsible for the scores we get. Only we are. Please only post your own experiences with each test prep company, not what's "heard around the block."

To those that are actually posing questions:: know that a lot of people responding here are also tutors for one test prep company or another. Would it surprize you if they were advertising their own company other others, while not advocating other prep companies based on "other people's experiences?" So please, take advice with a grain of salt and know that how you do on the MCAT is purely subjective, and not because a certain prep course is "good or bad." DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. TALK TO THE COMPANIES!! Again, please refrain from making comments about a prep company UNLESS you have tried them. You all know who you are.

Thank you,
Tweetie

Hey,
Well, I used Princeton Review, the Hyperlearning books. When I took my practice test, I alway did consistently bad on the verbal, I usually ended up with 5's or 6's. Princeton gave ALOT of practice verbal passages, they know that section is perhaps the most troublesome for many. After working hard with the material, I managed to get my score up to a 9 on the real thing. Not the highest, but I was very happy with my score considering how I was doing on the practice tests. I personally recommend Princeton, but I also talked to people who had success with Kaplan. Anywho, good luck!
David

Thank You Tweetie!!! Doing your job well, girl! :D Because of some posters, we are no longer allowed to discuss a certain prep company. Yeah, you know who you are. :rolleyes:

P.S. I don't believe Toodles is a real person...only registered Monday and has only 4 posts. I don't know, things are just fishy around here with a tutor from a certain prep company always promoting and stuff.