4 vs 5 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cstaud1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-med undergrad beginning sophomore year. Freshman year, I did poorly, coming away with a 3.0 GPA. I wanted to take some time to "slow-down" and improve study skills. I am also switching schools my junior year and may have some credit loss from the transfer. My question is: does graduating in 5 years rather than 4 hurt chances for medical school admission? I would imagine not, but the people on this forum would have a much better idea.

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation. I hate transfer credits that don't transfer!!! AHHH!!! It messed me up so much. I wouldn't worry about it though. It won't hurt you, and it might help because you are a year older and you have more classes. (more diversity?)

You might get a question about it in interviews. In the grand scheme of things, it will mean very little in comparison to GPA, MCAT, everything else and will factor in very little to your overall application. It will also give you the opportunity to develop a broader portfolio of clinical and/or research experiences . I applied after 6 years of classes (but this was because I did poorly overall, and my poor grades were a significant barrier - but not the amount of years)