4 weeks left; 180 on UW Self Assessment; best way forward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruitloops

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got 4 weeks left before I take Step 1. Just took UW Self Assessment and scored 180. In my dreams, I'd like to score 240 on the real thing, but would be very happy with 220. I've covered physiology and pathology pretty well from just doing review questions from book sources and I've also done a general overview reading and highlighting (ie no memorizing) of First Aid. I just signed up for UW Question Bank. Any other ideas on how I can kick up this score in the next 4 weeks? And, what is the best way to go over First Aid thoroughly so that I know everything in it?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got 4 weeks left before I take Step 1. Just took UW Self Assessment and scored 180. In my dreams, I'd like to score 240 on the real thing, but would be very happy with 220. I've covered physiology and pathology pretty well from just doing review questions from book sources and I've also done a general overview reading and highlighting (ie no memorizing) of First Aid. I just signed up for UW Question Bank. Any other ideas on how I can kick up this score in the next 4 weeks? And, what is the best way to go over First Aid thoroughly so that I know everything in it?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

I haven't taken the boards yet but i sort of have a plan to tackle it this upcoming summer. If i were you i would save first aid mostly for the last 2 weeks esp the last week before boards because its just a summary of everything you gathered, so if you spend too much with first aid you might end up burning more time just reading some bullet points with little context. I think you should just hit rest of your sources hard along with UW questions every night until the last week before board prep when you should eliminate every book except for first aid and uw questions...hope my opinion helps!

I haven't taken the boards yet but i sort of have a plan to tackle it this upcoming summer. If i were you i would save first aid mostly for the last 2 weeks esp the last week before boards because its just a summary of everything you gathered, so if you spend too much with first aid you might end up burning more time just reading some bullet points with little context. I think you should just hit rest of your sources hard along with UW questions every night until the last week before board prep when you should eliminate every book except for first aid and uw questions...hope my opinion helps!

When I studied for the boards I would read my review books (ie BRS phys, RR path) for the allotted time and then spend around half to one day reviewing the appropriate section in FA. For instance i used 5 days to go through RR path and then 1 day to review the path sections of FA.

After I got through all of the books, I used 5 days to wrap up by going through FA cover to cover. Doing it this way allowed me to go through FA twice. I thought going through FA along with the books was a good idea. It really made the wrap up time go smoothly and it worked out well for me.

the best way to "evaluate" your current standing as far as scoring goes, the NBME exams are the best tests hands down (UW tests are pretty good, but the NBME exams are better).

so take 1-2 NBME tests (whichever ones you choose - i don't believe that any test is more predictive than the others), and use the detailed scoring report (in which your performance is broken down by subject) to devise a strategy to improve on any subjects that you are weak(er) in.

Best of Luck