Aug 29, 2016
Okay I'm in the first quarter of my second year of college . I'm about to withdraw from 2 classes because of financial reasons . Over all I'll have 4 W's so far .

Here are the reasons for the W's ...

W #1 : I withdrew from math because it was my first semester of college and I was slightly overwhelmed being that I also have to work to support myself . I still managed to get an A and two B's .

W #2 : I withdrew from college success because my advisor told me that I didn't need to take that class and that I would be okay if I withdrew it . I already had 4 more classes, in which I made two B's and two C's .

W #3 & 4 : I recently transferred to a school because it's closer to home and I don't have to drive an hour everyday to school . Keep in mind that I was a transient at this same school over the summer and I made two A's . When I transferred I didn't meet with an advisor or anything I just started going to the school since I was already familiar with it from the summer . I recently found out that one of the classes I'm taking isn't needed so I withdrew from it because I don't wanna pay for a class I don't need . Well after I did that it dropped me below full time credit hours and they took away my financial aid which left me not being able to afford biology for this quarter so I had to also drop that class .

( I transferred from a semester system school to a quarter system school, so I'll be able to pick up the same classes in about three weeks once my financial aid settles )

Please tell me if this will still let me be able to get into med school ...

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
As long as you're doing well in your course, you're fine. But make better choice from now on.

OP
D
Aug 29, 2016
As long as you're doing well in your course, you're fine. But make better choice from now on.
Do you mean as long as I'm doing well in my classes now or as long as I WAS doing well in the classes I withdrew from ?

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
Do you mean as long as I'm doing well in my classes now or as long as I WAS doing well in the classes I withdrew from ?
From now on. The past performance in classes you have a W in doesn't really matter. In the end it is still a W.

Reactions: Goro

mwsapphire

-_-"
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
A slightly irrelevant question, but how does W'ing impact your financial aid? Doesn't the aid just adjust, or you have to pay back for the class you withdrew? My friend at another school ( who has FA) said that W'ing from a class can't be a reason to revoke financial aid, and normally it just adjusts to reflect that you aren't full time anymore, even if in most plans, a grade of "w" is not considered the same thing as not being full time ( that's the reason withdrawing didn't impact my scholorship)

cactusman

2+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You need to drop below 12 credits to be considered part-time, and the regular course load is 16 credits, so most people would need two withdraws to be considered part-time and lose federal financial aid.

mwsapphire

-_-"
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
You need to drop below 12 credits to be considered part-time, and the regular course load is 16 credits, so most people would need two withdraws to be considered part-time and lose federal financial aid.
But you just get readjusted aid, FA can't legally be taken away. My school's Solutions Center said that you just get less aid, like half or three fourths or whatever, and you may be asked to reimburse the government for that class.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I think it depends when the course was dropped. If you withdraw from a course halfway through the semester or more (depending on your institution's rules) I don't think your status as part/full time is affected anymore. At least, this is the way it works at my school.

mwsapphire

-_-"
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it depends when the course was dropped. If you withdraw from a course halfway through the semester or more (depending on your institution's rules) I don't think your status as part/full time is affected anymore. At least, this is the way it works at my school.
That sounds about right. Because the point of FA is to make college more equal opportunity, and it's not really equal opportunity if a poor person can't reap the benefits of a gpa-saving W the way a well-off person can? That thought really bothers me...