4 year HPSP spots remaining

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when the February bord meeting is?
I just talked to my recruiter and he said that they did not end up meeting on Jan 13th. He said there was a change of personal, and that we got pushed back to the one in February (I believe he said they meet this coming Tuesday the 14th, but do not hold me to that).

Members don't see this ad.

I was recommended in January by the board, but I was not final selected-I got accepted to a different school later in January and had to send the new acceptance letter and academic year statement. My application is otherwise complete. My recruiters assured me that I'm fine, they are holding my spot, and will be final accepted as soon as they get my AYS. However, I have been accepted into the Army program, and they are asking me to make a decision.

My preference is Navy, but I've been scared of some of the posts here where people were professionally recommended but later placed on a wait list or deferred until the next fiscal year.

Any advice? Would I be stupid to turn down the Army and wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and could someone explain what "final selection" even means? Does the board have to meet to approve it? Is it a paperwork formality? Are there more people professionally recommended than are scholarships available? I'm confused by the whole thing honestly....

Oh, and could someone explain what "final selection" even means? Does the board have to meet to approve it? Is it a paperwork formality? Are there more people professionally recommended than are scholarships available? I'm confused by the whole thing honestly....

Professionally recommended just means you meet the requirements or qualify to be able to get the scholarship. Final selection is the board meeting when your application is compared to those of the other applicants who made the deadline for that meeting. If you come out with a scholarship, then your in luck, if not, then you could be put on the back burner and end up getting a 3 year scholarship the next year (if they even do that anymore). The only thing you can do is put everything in and wait and hope for the best. Hard to do, but you just have to have patience...the military is the job of "hurry up and wait."

Thank you for explaining! I'm starting to understand that the Navy's timeline and my timeline are not the same thing....

But my original question still stands-with a sure offer from the Army, is it wise to wait on a Navy "final selection?"

Thank you for explaining! I'm starting to understand that the Navy's timeline and my timeline are not the same thing....

But my original question still stands-with a sure offer from the Army, is it wise to wait on a Navy "final selection?"

Maybe you could tell your recruiter the situation.. You would rather go Navy but don't want to end up empty handed. Then I would judge what your recruiter says based on how reliable he has been thus far. I'd hate to be paying a 20 year loan back thinking you turned down a scholarship.... Maybe that is worse than the alternative -- spending 5 years as an Army Denis in stead of a Navy dentist. Tough choice!

That depends. Did the Army recruiter call you telling you that you have the scholarship? If so did he/she give you a deadline to get back to them on it? If not, I would tell them you really want the scholarship but you can't make it in to sign for a few weeks...then call up your Navy recruiter and explain to him your situation and ask him if there's anything they can do to speed it up, to please do so or you'll have to take the Army scholarship. Make sure that you reaffirm that you want the Navy scholarship over the Army one to the Navy recruiter.

Just found out I've been professionally recommended for the Navy HPSP. Anyone else hear the good news?

Last edited:
Just found out I've been professionally recommended for the Navy HPSP as of Feb 9th. Anyone else hear the good news?

Nothing yet. Do you know if you were on the January or February bard?

Maybe you could tell your recruiter the situation.. You would rather go Navy but don't want to end up empty handed. Then I would judge what your recruiter says based on how reliable he has been thus far. I'd hate to be paying a 20 year loan back thinking you turned down a scholarship.... Maybe that is worse than the alternative -- spending 5 years as an Army Denis in stead of a Navy dentist. Tough choice!

Thanks for the advice! My final selection letter came through, right after my recruiter sent the Academic Year Statement. Guess that's all they were waiting on.

Has anyone commissioned yet? If not, any word when that would happen? I'm so excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! My final selection letter came through, right after my recruiter sent the Academic Year Statement. Guess that's all they were waiting on.

Has anyone commissioned yet? If not, any word when that would happen? I'm so excited!

It should happen within 2 weeks. I commissioned a few days ago. I am officially an Ensign (O-1) in the Navy :)

Also bring a blank check with you so you can provide your direct deposit info.

My kit was sent in the last week of January. I've been trying to contact my recruiter every week since then to find out the progress, but I've not received a response. Is it typical for recruiters to ignore you after everything is done, until you are accepted? Frustrating!

It should happen within 2 weeks. I commissioned a few days ago. I am officially an Ensign (O-1) in the Navy :)

Also bring a blank check with you so you can provide your direct deposit info.

can you get on base and use their exchange now?

My kit was sent in the last week of January. I've been trying to contact my recruiter every week since then to find out the progress, but I've not received a response. Is it typical for recruiters to ignore you after everything is done, until you are accepted? Frustrating!

I have the same thing! My recruiter told me they publish a list of who will be on each board and as of last week he said that they had not published it. It sounds like he is just giving me an earful. Does anyone know if they will be reviewed on the February board yet or when the February board is?

Has anyone from the January board received their final select letter?

Talked to my recruiter today, she said that 30 of the 60 or so spots have been filled for the 4 year HPSP.

Have people from the February board heard already?

will there be any scholarship left after this next board meeting? (march 7)

I thought the next board is supposed to meet on March 9th. Question: how soon after the board meets did you guys hear back from them? Are there any scholarships left as of the early March board?

My board was.. well, I don't even know, either Feb or Jan, and it wasn't until mid-Feb that I was given the scholarship.

However. Because I submitted with Midwestern-AZ, they turned around a week later and told me I had a contingent select and would have a grace period for MWU-AZ to become fully accredited before commissioning me officially for the scholarship. Of course MWU-AZ is receiving this in April and my grace period is up to June, so I basically have it.

By the way, this is a very recent change in policy (according to the Navy people in LA <--Where us Hawaii people go to for important stuff), as the last few years "initial accreditation" status by a new school was acceptable, now apparently (at least for the Navy) it isn't good enough to guarantee a scholarship. Of course, take this with a grain of salt, as the information that gets passed around here and by recruiters seems to be incredibly varied and case-by-case.

Have people from the February board heard already?

I received notice today that I've been professionally recommended! I just have to wait a week or so to get the papers and sign. I was in for the February board.

I received notice today that I've been professionally recommended! I just have to wait a week or so to get the papers and sign. I was in for the February board.
Great accomplishment, congratulations!

We are supposed to find out about the March board any time now. I thought the February one was cancelled. So maybe this is the start of the March selections. Either way, congrats...

Great accomplishment, congratulations!

We are supposed to find out about the March board any time now. I thought the February one was cancelled. So maybe this is the start of the March selections. Either way, congrats...

Thanks! I didn't realize the February board was cancelled... I was just patiently waiting. Could be that I was considered during the March board then. Good luck!

When you recruiter said you were selected, had he received your final select letter yet? I only ask because my recruiter said my status was waiting for final select, and hopefully should get a final select letter soon. Just wanna figure out if waiting for final select means I was selected for sure.

When you recruiter said you were selected, had he received your final select letter yet? I only ask because my recruiter said my status was waiting for final select, and hopefully should get a final select letter soon. Just wanna figure out if waiting for final select means I was selected for sure.

When you get the final select, then you're selected for sure (unless something weird happens to you or your school doesn't get full accreditation, etc), while you're waiting for that, you're still in limbo, but at least at the very last step toward selection.

When I got my final select my recruiter said: "now you have proof of receiving the scholarship". So perhaps waiting for it means you have it, but you can't prove it officially? In any case, I wouldn't assume I had it until I got that final select.

No, my recruiter said the final select letter should be in next week. That's why I'm just "professionally recommended" right now. Sounds like you're at the same point. Its not official yet, but my recruiter said I'm guaranteed the spot if I still want it. My recruiter hasn't been the most reliable however.

No, my recruiter said the final select letter should be in next week. That's why I'm just "professionally recommended" right now. Sounds like you're at the same point. Its not official yet, but my recruiter said I'm guaranteed the spot if I still want it. My recruiter hasn't been the most reliable however.

My board was.. well, I don't even know, either Feb or Jan, and it wasn't until mid-Feb that I was given the scholarship.

However. Because I submitted with Midwestern-AZ, they turned around a week later and told me I had a contingent select and would have a grace period for MWU-AZ to become fully accredited before commissioning me officially for the scholarship. Of course MWU-AZ is receiving this in April and my grace period is up to June, so I basically have it.

By the way, this is a very recent change in policy (according to the Navy people in LA <--Where us Hawaii people go to for important stuff), as the last few years "initial accreditation" status by a new school was acceptable, now apparently (at least for the Navy) it isn't good enough to guarantee a scholarship. Of course, take this with a grain of salt, as the information that gets passed around here and by recruiters seems to be incredibly varied and case-by-case.

I heard the same thing because I'm also going to Midwestern-AZ. My recruiter contacted the program director and got everything sorted out. I was selected mid-Feb from the January board and got my final select letter a couple of weeks later. I just got my commissioning papers early this week, and I'll sign everything either Monday or Tuesday. See if your recruiter can contact the director so you can officially get the scholarship. Good luck

I've just found out that I'm also "Professionally Recommended" for the 4 year HPSP. Still waiting for the final letter and hopefully everything else left would work out just as the whole process did. Congratulations to everybody who's already commisioned.

I also just found out I have been professionally recommended. However, my recruiter did not make it very clear as to what this means in regards to actually GETTING the scholarship...if you are professionally recommended, is this just another hurdle that you have to pass, but there is still a substantial chance that you won't get the scholarship? Or does it mean something more along the lines of 'you almost have it'....I am just confused!

I also just found out I have been professionally recommended. However, my recruiter did not make it very clear as to what this means in regards to actually GETTING the scholarship...if you are professionally recommended, is this just another hurdle that you have to pass, but there is still a substantial chance that you won't get the scholarship? Or does it mean something more along the lines of 'you almost have it'....I am just confused!
Well I can tell you what my recruiter told me - my recruiter called me yesterday to tell me that he had called and confirmed that I had been evaluated at the recent board and was selected for the scholarship. He did use the lingo "professionally recommended" later on in the conversation. He told me that all we were waiting on was final approval and signatures and then we should receive the final select letter in the next few days. Take it for what you will I suppose. I went ahead and told my parents and family that I got it, so hopefully I won't have to retract that statement later on...

I thought about telling everybody about it, but I'd better wait for the final letter and then for sure I'll be able to share the good news to everybody....

Has anyone's recruiter told them that they are waiting for scroll approval. I know this is one of the last steps but not sure if its before or after being professional recommended.

This is where I'm at in the process and kinda confused if this means I will probably receive the scholarship or not.

Do you guys know how long it will take for final select to go through? My recruiter seems to know nothing. He did not even call to tell me I was professionally recommended, I had to call him and ask what my status was.

Do you guys know how long it will take for final select to go through? My recruiter seems to know nothing. He did not even call to tell me I was professionally recommended, I had to call him and ask what my status was.

It took two weeks for me to get mine.

It took two weeks for me to get mine.

I have to think it's going to be a lot more random now, with the recruiters knowing much less, since I believe it's about waiting lists now and not just straight open slots up for grabs. [/not fact, just conjecture]

Edit: Side note, I NEVER heard the term "professionally recommended" during the process, only here on SDN.

Has anyone heard about Final Select??

Has anyone heard about Final Select??
I received a copy of my Final Select letter yesterday morning from my recruiter (via email). He had notified me I had been selected last week, but I did not receive documentation until yesterday.

My recruiter just called me today to inform me that he received my final select letter. However, it had been a good 1-2 months since I had last talked to him, and in that time a lot of varying things have come up (personal and otherwise) that are making me second guess the military route--I don't think I would be doing it for the right reasons. Does anyone know about declining the scholarship/if it is possible/what that would entail? Thanks.

My recruiter just called me today to inform me that he received my final select letter. However, it had been a good 1-2 months since I had last talked to him, and in that time a lot of varying things have come up (personal and otherwise) that are making me second guess the military route--I don't think I would be doing it for the right reasons. Does anyone know about declining the scholarship/if it is possible/what that would entail? Thanks.

It basically entails telling your recruiter and not taking/signing the oath of office. I would do some soul-searching before you make a final decision.

Has anyone's recruiter told them how many spots are remaining after the March board results?
Having LASIK really pushed back when I could get my physical and I am hoping to make the April board (if there is one),

Thank you!

I got mine yesterday. Anyone know when we begin to receive our stipend? Soon after signing our oath? Soon after beginning classes? What about the bonus, when does that clear? Thanks!