4 years from now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This is something that has been in the back of my mind for a while now.
I notice that a lot of medical students or applicants pride themselves about getting into "top" schools/ schools with a good reputation.

However, a lot of physicians I have talked to (with established careers) ask you to look at the big picture.

"4 years from now you will be a physician"

My question is: does it really matter what school you attend?

I have seen people forgo IVY league schools due to various personal reasons, so it makes me wonder.

Members don't see this ad.

-Sometimes a good reputation is translated into a good match list- which is important for those who wish to persue more competitive specialities.

-Access to well-respected research may be another factor. This may or may not be linked to the previously mentioned example.

For these reasons, an Ivy League/Top Tier school may be a better choice. However, there are many other schools that get the job done just a well.

It is all about fit. For some, ranking and reputation are a part of the equation. For others, it is not.

So to answer your question, yes, it does. Whether or not fame fits into that, however, is dependent on the individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, compare the matchlist of different schools. It matters, not THAT much, but it matters.

Dude, compare the matchlist of different schools. It matters, not THAT much, but it matters.

Really? Want to explain how you go about comparing those?

Most premeds have no clue how to read a match list and match lists say more about individuals in a class than the quality of a school. Every school has people match to competitive specialties, every school has people match into #1 programs. A lot of time differences in the number of competitive specialty matches is more because the people who attend a particular school are self selecting (eg. those who are hyper competitive will happily go to Harvard 3,000 miles from home, while those who are less competitive will prefer to stay close to home and go to a state school).

Match lists are practically meaningless.

In some ways yes, it matters. But those are ways we as premeds can't imagine at this point (eg. if you want to become the head of cardiothoracic surgery of the Mayo Clinic yes you probably should go to Johns Hopkins). For the most part go where you will be happy and don't dwell on match lists or PERCEIVED premed prestige.

Last edited:
Man, this question just will not die. I think this is the second most asked question behind "will an A- in ____ hurt my chances?"

After you start, all that matters is surviving the next round of exams / rotations, etc .... Heck, I'm just glad to be hanging in there, doing what I love week after week. Keep in mind that no matter where we matriculate, we become members of a very fortunate group to experience the privilege of this training.