4 years in the making, finally get to post my DAT scores =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT - 19 (lower than all my practice tests) :vomit:
QR - 22
RC - 24 :highfive:
BIO - 21
GC - 21
OC - 23 :laugh:
Total Science - 22
AA - 22 :soexcited:

It will be amazing to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about this exam ever again. I encourage everyone to study hard, take as many practice tests as possible, and relax. I was freaking out the last few days, and even made a post on here asking for advice on whether or not I should delay the test. If you put in the time and effort, there is no reason why you won't be successful. As Russell Wilson says, "the separation is in the preparation."
If anyone can find my percentages I would appreciate it. They aren't posted on the printout.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here is some more info about what I used:

Gchem - Chad's and Destroyer
Ochem - Chad's and Destroyer
I had nearly every reaction from the Destroyer road map memorized, and I was scoring well in all the practice tests for ochem, so I wasn't too worried about this section. I took detailed notes from all of Chad's videos and did all of the quizzes at least 3 times, including some gchem the night before my exam. Destroyer was, in hindsight, overkill. It does however prepare you for some difficult questions that may come up on your DAT. Being able to answer just 2 or 3 extra questions though can make the difference between a 18 and 21, so even though it's hard to get through the problem sets at first, stick with it.

Bio - Cliff's AP Bio, Ferralis' notes, Destroyer
I read through Cliff's once to refresh my memory since it had been a couple years since my last bio class. The book is great for the basics, but I highly recommend Ferallis' notes. They are extremely detailed, but contain so much valuable info. You need to be able to weed out some of the info though, as it was way too detailed, especially the circulatory system. The questions on my exam were random, and I thought I was going to score a 17 so you can imagine my surprise when I saw a 21. I spent way too much time on Bio, I think close to 40 minutes, which was 10-15 minutes longer than it was taking me on all my practice tests.

PAT - CDP
My exam was way harder than I expected. I was usually scoring 21-23 on all my CDP practice tests, but the shapes given for Keyhole were so frustrating, and again slowed me down just like Bio did. The differences between some of the answers were so minute, I was continually looking back and forth. The shapes on 2 or 3 were nearly identical, just the dimensions like thickness and angles were different. I could easily differentiate that on CDP, but my eyes were strained on this test.
TFE was easier than I expected. This has always been the worst part of my PAT, so I walked into this section thinking I'll be lucky to get half correct and then make up for it with nearly perfect scores on hole punching and cube counting.
Hole punching was.....strange. The holes were so tiny that I had a hard time figuring out where they were being punched and if they were on a line of symmetry or not. Then on some other questions they looked just like CDP, but then it went back to these very tiny holes. There was only 1 question I wasn't completely certain about.
Cube counting wasn't too bad. There weren't any 25+ cubes like you'll see on CDP, but there was one figure that I just stared at thinking "WTH!?" due to one or two cubes that looked like an illusion. Whatever. I'll take the 19 and be happy with the rest of the scores.
Just use CDP and you'll be fine.

RC - I didn't really prepare for this section at all. I did Bootcamp practice test 1 and DAT Qvualt practice test 1 and one test from Crack DAT. I scored between 20-22 for the tests, so I felt good. I read each passage in about 9 minutes, then spent the remaining 11 minutes answering questions. I took a few notes along the way, which helped just a little. I actually enjoyed the articles that I read about, and one of them I was very familiar with already since I have taken microbiology.

QR - Chad's for all the basics, and DAT Math Destroyer. It's been 12 years since I've taken any type of math class, so to say I was rusty is an understatement. I watched all of Chad's QR videos to get the basics, then made flash cards of all the formulas from Math Destroyer. I would also watch some Khan Academy videos when needed, especially for computational and probability questions. Practice is the key. I went through 7 Destroyer quizzes. I think I got about 50% correct the first time, but it got easier and easier. By the time I took practice tests with QVault and Bootcamp I was scoring 19-22. Just do Destroyer. While hard, it made the questions on the DAT seem like a joke in comparison. For example, I was given all the lengths of a right triangle, and then asked to compute the cos of a certain angle. I couldn't believe how easy some of these questions were.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulation and thank you for share your experience.

May I ask a quick question: Do you remember how many choices for each RC questions? Is is 4 (ABCD) or 5(ABCDE)?

It was about four years ago that I decided to move back to Seattle and take all the dental school prereqs. I worked in Korea from 2005-2010 and started taking classes in the Spring of '10. It's taken a lot longer than I initially expected due to me working full time, but I'm beyond thrilled with my scores. I'll try to add more tomorrow, I'm just exhausted after cramming for 2 months and getting home a few hours ago from my test.

QR - 22
BIO - 21
GC - 21
Total Science - 22

It will be amazing to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about this exam ever again. I encourage everyone to study hard, take as many practice tests as possible, and relax. I was freaking out the last few days, and even made a post on here asking for advice on whether or not I should delay the test. If you put in the time and effort, there is no reason why you won't be successful. As Russell Wilson says, "the separation is in the preparation."
If anyone can find my percentages I would appreciate it. They aren't posted on the printout.

12-16, but the one with 16 had shorter paragraphs, so they were all roughly the same length. In terms of difficulty, one was a little challenging in terms of vocab, but the other two were fairly simple and could have been done with search and destroy. I didn't want to try S&D though since I did well on my practice tests just reading the passages and answering questions.

I know I'm very, very, very late in this year's application cycle, but does anyone think I would have a shot at any school if I were to apply?

Last edited:
I know I'm very, very, very late in this year's application cycle, but does anyone think I would have a shot at any school if I were to apply? I'd love to get into UW since I live in Seattle, and I'd save a lot of money with in state tuition, but their deadline has passed. I think I may just apply next cycle. Thoughts? Oh, and does anyone know where or how I can find out my percentages? Thanks!
Nice job. :)

I'd wait until next cycle to apply to UW. As for other schools, you are late for quite a few. And I don't think there is a way to find out percentages. Seems they stopped doing that on the score sheets recently.

And greetings from Tacoma! Are you still a student at the UW? I knew someone (who was Korean) who said that she was going to take the exam in November. Wondering if it's you (last name Han).

It was about four years ago that I decided to move back to Seattle and take all the dental school prereqs. I worked in Korea from 2005-2010 and started taking classes in the Spring of '10. It's taken a lot longer than I initially expected due to me working full time, but I'm beyond thrilled with my scores. I'll try to add more tomorrow, I'm just exhausted after cramming for 2 months and getting home a few hours ago from my test.

QR - 22
BIO - 21
GC - 21
Total Science - 22

What would you suggest to do well in reading section? I seem to not do so well in that section

No, I graduated in '04 from UW, moved back to Seattle in 2010 and took all my prereqs at Bellevue College. The only course I completed at UW was biochem
My bad. XD it was a long shot anyway.

Either way, Congrats on the scores!

Your hard work paid off. I know it took a long time, but you invested time into studying and you earned some great scores. Congratulations.