4 years of medical school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by aagbay, Feb 25, 2001.

1. aagbay

aagbay Member

Hey everybody,

Just out of curiosity, out of the 4 years of medical school, which year(s)is the toughest. I imagine that the 1st is the toughest because of the adjustment and the 2nd is the same as the first other than the fact that we're used to it. Then years 3 and 4 are just different. Maybe not necessarily easier, just different. What do you all think?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Ask most people and I believe you'll hear that the second-year of medical school is the toughest. Third-year tends to be a re-invigorating experience, and throughout the first-year you're still smitten by the fact that you are a medical student. [​IMG] Fourth-year is a vacation at most schools, although at some they've introduced some things to make the MS4 year a pain in the butt. [​IMG]

Second-year is horrible. That's the consensus in New York City at least. Good luck.

W.

4. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

I found year 1 to be far harder: more hours sitting in lecture, more classes, relearning how to learn, adjusting to the schedule, etc. This year I hit my stride and am much happier and saner -- and as we watch the first-years wrestle with neuro, I'd say the MS-IIs are pretty darned relieved not to be in their shoes.

5. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

I agree with Djanaba. I am a third year now, and for me, the first year was the worst! Second year was more interesting. Third year has turned out to be plain fun! I hope the fun will continue on into my fourth year, though at my school you MUST pass COMLEX II to graduate, so that adds some stress to that year.

Billie

6. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

I think year 2 is harder in terms of stamina, but it is MUCH more enjoyable than first year was. I am definitly happier now than I was last year.