4 yr DDS VS WAITING ENDLESSLY FOR ADDMISSIONS INTO ADVANCE STANDING

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alabama79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: hey guys i have a question.....can a international dentist apply for a 4 year regular DDS program in US ...if so what are the requirements....i am aware i would need to give GRE, DAT, and prerequisite classes in some subjects ....can anybody give some insight on this ,,thanx

Members don't see this ad.

alabama79 said:
:confused: hey guys i have a question.....can a international dentist apply for a 4 year regular DDS program in US ...if so what are the requirements....i am aware i would need to give GRE, DAT, and prerequisite classes in some subjects ....can anybody give some insight on this ,,thanx

Hi... Yeah, you can always do that. But you have to take a minimum of 6 prerequisites, assuming that the college you are applying to will accept the dental courses we have taken as bio prereqs (otherwise 8 prereqs). It will take a minimum of 1 year / 2 semesters to finish the 6 classes. Then you take the DAT assuming you take it right after you finish organic I. Then apply and it takes 1 year for the schools to respond. Yes, you can do it if you are willing to devote 6 years (for the 4 year program) as opposed to 3/4 years (for the 2yr or 3yr advanced standing program).

g3k said:
Hi... Yeah, you can always do that. But you have to take a minimum of 6 prerequisites, assuming that the college you are applying to will accept the dental courses we have taken as bio prereqs (otherwise 8 prereqs). It will take a minimum of 1 year / 2 semesters to finish the 6 classes. Then you take the DAT assuming you take it right after you finish organic I. Then apply and it takes 1 year for the schools to respond. Yes, you can do it if you are willing to devote 6 years (for the 4 year program) as opposed to 3/4 years (for the 2yr or 3yr advanced standing program).

thanx for the reply ,well ofcourse i know advance standing is a better option ...but assume a scenario where ....u cant improve experience cause im on a h4 visa no social security number, so no wants to hire me even as a dental assistant ....secondly ...i have 89 in part 1 ...no admissionm so far any where ....so assuming i study n give part one again and reapply...will take 1-2 yrs getting in any ways ....plus no garentee i will get in with only improved scores no work experience....and the compitition for advance standing is only getting worse....so its an option worth considering...rather than not practicing dentistry at all ......

Members don't see this ad :)
alabama79 said:
thanx for the reply ,well ofcourse i know advance standing is a better option ...but assume a scenario where ....u cant improve experience cause im on a h4 visa no social security number, so no wants to hire me even as a dental assistant ....secondly ...i have 89 in part 1 ...no admissionm so far any where ....so assuming i study n give part one again and reapply...will take 1-2 yrs getting in any ways ....plus no garentee i will get in with only improved scores no work experience....and the compitition for advance standing is only getting worse....so its an option worth considering...rather than not practicing dentistry at all ......

Hi
i agree with u . Even m experiencing the same scenario and even marks are same. But still i havent considered this 4 yrs of regular program bcoz i think i can study part 1 subjects just to avoid the DAT's physics, chemistry and all. It has been a long time since we left those subjects , almost 7 yrs for me.
It would be a tough job. And if u want u can go for NYU. i think it will appreciate score of 89 which we have.

but its good to keep all the options open.
all the best

alabama79 said:

Yeah, you are right... whatever makes you happier :) !! Good luck!!

hi albama,
i have lil suggesstion for u. u shd start writing down ur options. i have few for u-
1- improve part1 and sit for part2 ; apply again.
2- sit for minnisota exam
3-apply for pat graduate programs
4-think abt australia exam
and for work exp u dont need ssn, u can do volunteer work at any clinc.
beauty abt minnisota and australia is u dont have to join program.

dont lose hope.!! everything will fall in place at right time.

ami_iq said:
hi albama,
i have lil suggesstion for u. u shd start writing down ur options. i have few for u-
1- improve part1 and sit for part2 ; apply again.
2- sit for minnisota exam
3-apply for pat graduate programs
4-think abt australia exam
and for work exp u dont need ssn, u can do volunteer work at any clinc.
beauty abt minnisota and australia is u dont have to join program.

dont lose hope.!! everything will fall in place at right time.

hi,

Are you sure that one can do volunteer work without ssn[in H4 visa status?]what i thought was that we are not supposed to do any type of work with that status [even if it is volunteering].Can you please make it clearer?

Thanks .

drdds said:
hi,

Are you sure that one can do volunteer work without ssn[in H4 visa status?]what i thought was that we are not supposed to do any type of work with that status [even if it is volunteering].Can you please make it clearer?

Thanks .
hi,
you can volunteer for dental assistant, on that visa, they wont pay you, but that should be fine, if they give you an exp certificate.

godbless said:
hi,
you can volunteer for dental assistant, on that visa, they wont pay you, but that should be fine, if they give you an exp certificate.

hi godbless,

Thanks for the reply.Thatz something good!!a lot better than in a state of not being able to do anything .Thanks once again for the information.

Hi All U Guys ...thanx For Responding To This Post ...all This Concern Is Greatly Appreciated ...n I Think Sdn Is A Great Platform :)