4 yr. Navy vs. 3 yr. AF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdmufin27

It's H-O-T in Sin City
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. So here's my dilemma. I come from an AF family and would love to have the opportunity to use an 4-year AF HPSP. Of course with that not being an option any longer I have to make a new decision about the Navy.

What sounds better, a 4-year Navy or 3-year AF scholarship?

Here's how I break it down......

Time: AF-one less year
Monies: Navy: $80,000 or so in tuition/living expenses + $20,000 bonus
Active duty: ????, but no boats = somewhat easier deployments on my family

Do I take on additional $80-100,000 in debt for the branch many of us wanted to go in initially or do I take advantage of the money that the other is giving out.

Members don't see this ad.

It may be biased or overly simplistic, but you can't lose with either option. There are pros and cons of both, but in the end you will be a well-trained dentists with reduced debt and tons of earning potential in the private sector should you choose to get out of the military.

If I were you, I would go with my first choice; and for you it seems AF. You might end up loving it and making it a career. If not, do your time and move on with your life.

I had a question somewhat related, my Air Force recruiter says that if I am awarded the 4 year scholarship and want to go to UOP on a 3 year, I can swear in and then go to UOP. The Air Force will then be forced to switch mine to a 3 year. any thoughts on this, is it true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure its true. My recruiter actually had this happen with a student this year, and he said it worked out. Have you been awarded the scholarship from the air force yet? Hope you decide to stay with UCLA, but if you don't my recruiter speaking from experience said it is definitly possible.

Don't hijack my thread :D

I had a question somewhat related, my Air Force recruiter says that if I am awarded the 4 year scholarship and want to go to UOP on a 3 year, I can swear in and then go to UOP. The Air Force will then be forced to switch mine to a 3 year. any thoughts on this, is it true?

I thought UOP still had 4 billing cycles of 9 months each it just happens to be over a total of 3 years. I still think you need the 4 year scholarship to cover all your tuition costs at UOP. That's not 100% for sure, but that's what I remember.

I thought UOP still had 4 billing cycles of 9 months each it just happens to be over a total of 3 years. I still think you need the 4 year scholarship to cover all your tuition costs at UOP. That's not 100% for sure, but that's what I remember.

I heard something along these lines as well.....I would contact an HPSP office. Go to afit.edu, and look under civilian institution programs, and there should be some phone number available in order to contact an HPSP office.

To assist the original poster, if you think you'll be able to tolerate the differences that come with the Navy, then I think you should do Navy. But if you really don't like the idea of a 6 month deployment at sea, then take the loans for one year. This way, you'll be much happier in the Air Force, and one year of loans won't be hard to pay off. When it comes to the military, my belief is to never do anything simply for the money.

In your case, I would choose the Air Force deal. Who knows, maybe you will decide to make a career of it.

If you just serve the 3 years, you have one less year of commitment and you would make up the difference in salary in the real world pretty fast.

I'm AF biased but the Navy has great programs as well. You can always try an interservice transfer if you want to change services--not sure how/or how easy it is but I've know people who have done it. Gives you the best of both worlds!

Aside from the branch of service it also really depends on how important, or unimportant it is to have the additional year of school loans to pay back out of your own pocket.

Congrat!

To answer your question first, you will be placed on a 3yr scholarship because even though financially UoP takes 4 installments, the calender time is 3 years and it is the calender time HPSP goes by. So 3-year-school means 3-year-commitment. You will be in the reserve for 5 years since the total commitment is still 8 years.

I will attend UoP with AF HPSP, and I am happy about the two years I am saving and zero debt. UCLA and UoP are both great schools. See which one you like, and go for it!

I had this same choice, but I was choosing between AF or Army. Really, though, what is the point of doing the scholarship if you're still going to graduate with six figures of debt. I would have just not done the scholarship at all, unless one of your main reasons isn't the financial side of it. So I went Army, and it's working out for me. I was thinking about switching to AF after my 4 years is up, but now I've learned that I can't switch until my 4 reserve years are up, too. On a side note, there are two guys here who went to UoP and only owe three years back.

Anyone have some more opinions on this? I'm in a similar situation.

Ok. So here's my dilemma. I come from an AF family and would love to have the opportunity to use an 4-year AF HPSP. Of course with that not being an option any longer I have to make a new decision about the Navy.

What sounds better, a 4-year Navy or 3-year AF scholarship?

Here's how I break it down......

Time: AF-one less year
Monies: Navy: $80,000 or so in tuition/living expenses + $20,000 bonus
Active duty: ????, but no boats = somewhat easier deployments on my family

Do I take on additional $80-100,000 in debt for the branch many of us wanted to go in initially or do I take advantage of the money that the other is giving out.

I was Navy 3 yr and of course wish I did not have the 1st yr debt to pay back. Although it is nice to be done in 3 yrs. Don't forget to include the interest. You are also going to have some loans most likely.

I was selected for training through the Navy, but turned down what could potentially be a 450K scholarship with tuition, equipment, and salary. What's more debt when you owe all that for one year.

Good Luck with your decision. Either way you will make it work.

I am also interested to hear others opinions on this also... I was initially interested in the AF HPSP but began applying too late and so I am now working on an application for the Navy, but I'm considering the option of just taking the 3-yr AF.

I am in the same posistion. I applied to both and the AF is my first choice. I feel like I have the potential to make a career out of it in the AF. Luckily I don't have to deal with this yet because I have not been awarded either yet... Oy vey.. sorry I cant be of any help because I need some too!

The 3 year is a good deal. I've run through some hypothetical numbers on an excel spreadsheet that actually shows my profit margin to be highest with a 3year scholarship over a 4-year.

Yes, you will have loans from first year that will potentially accrue the most interest over the course of your education (compounded over the longest period), but I've been chipping away at that first year loan with my stipend.

Also, figure that tuition is continuing to rise. My 2nd-4th years are by far the most expensive so the 3 year works to your advantage there as well.

I've also been told that the military often offers bonuses, specialization offers, etc following the end of your active duty committment in hopes of retaining your services. If this is the case, those offers may come a year earlier on a 3-year scholarship than a 4-year.

Hell, if the military isn't for you, the 3-year offers you 25% less time that you have to serve.

KOM, do you still have that spreadsheet? I would love to take a look at it if I could.

Me too, KOM

Is that including the 25k one would make while in dental school?

Thank you!