40 and above on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heisenberg

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there people out there who broke the 40 mark? How did you feel after the exam? Did you feel that you had aced the exam? Did you guess on some questions and still manage a 40? Good luck to those waiting for April MCAT results!

Members don't see this ad.

Prophecies said:
It's rare to find someone who made a 40+ on the MCAT...in fact, during the last two sessions (April 2004, August 2004) I think the highest score anyone made was a 39...this is indicated by the 0.00% of people scoring 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, or 45 on our score reports. But I'm sure at least ONE person on SDN has made a 40+...just don't expect a flood of responses.

No, that isn't right. According to the AAMC, the highest score last year was 43, not 39. Since fewer than 0.5% of test-takers earned scores above 40, it rounds down to 0% on the statistics.

OP, there are several people on SDN who scored 40+. I felt that I had done well, but I was surprised to find out how well. I did not think I had "aced" the exam; I was hoping for a 40. Yes, I did have to guess on some questions, but I was generally able to narrow down the choices to two. :luck: to everyone waiting to hear.

QofQuimica said:
No, that isn't right. According to the AAMC, the highest score last year was 43, not 39. Since fewer than 0.5% of test-takers earned scores above 40, it rounds down to 0% on the statistics.

OP, there are several people on SDN who scored 40+. I felt that I had done well, but I was surprised to find out how well. I did not think I had "aced" the exam; I was hoping for a 40. Yes, I did have to guess on some questions, but I was generally able to narrow down the choices to two. :luck: to everyone waiting to hear.
Q, You got a 40? Or did I misunderstand?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prophecies said:
It's rare to find someone who made a 40+ on the MCAT...in fact, during the last two sessions (April 2004, August 2004) I think the highest score anyone made was a 39...this is indicated by the 0.00% of people scoring 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, or 45 on our score reports. But I'm sure at least ONE person on SDN has made a 40+...just don't expect a flood of responses.

Actually, you can do a search on this on SDN, but the highest score in August 2004 was a 43. There were only 2 people whom did this high in August 2004 of which one is on this board. No names mentioned. :laugh: :laugh: ;) :p :D

There are also others on this board, whom you will see if you look up mdapplicant profiles of these people whom scored 43 in other semesters.

In August 2004, there were also a handful of people that got a 42. Not very many again. But none the less a few students. And then there were a few 40 and 41's as well.

However, one thing common with all those whom scored in these ranges is that they had scored decently high on their practice tests. Those on this board have often posted their score ranges and shown to be somewhere within the range of their diagnostic scores. More often then not, they are closer to the high or middle end then the low end of their diagnostic scores. So if you are getting like 37-40+, then it is possible. If you are getting like 23-30, then keep dreaming. It is unlikely that you will go from a 30 to a 40 over night.

Oh, how funny. The season's just begun, and someone's at it again.

All: think, and doublecheck, before you answer a question!

gujuDoc said:
Actually, you can do a search on this on SDN, but the highest score in August 2004 was a 43. There were only 2 people whom did this high in August 2004 of which one is on this board. No names mentioned. :laugh: :laugh: ;) :p :D

There are also others on this board, whom you will see if you look up mdapplicant profiles of these people whom scored 43 in other semesters.

dude, you sure do say whom a lot! :laugh: ;) :)

gujuDoc said:
Since when did this become a grammar class????? Lay off!!!!!!

Everyone, please be nice. Even those of us who are native speakers of English still screw up our grammar sometimes. And not everyone here is a native speaker of English, capisci?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the history of the MCAT being administered, has anyone ever scored at perfect 45? I tried to Google it, but to no avail.

Righty123 said:
In the history of the MCAT being administered, has anyone ever scored at perfect 45? I tried to Google it, but to no avail.
Not since 2003. I don't know whether or not anyone got a perfect score before that. It's possible.

In 2003, a guy on SDN scored a 13 Verbal, 15 Physical, and 15 Biological for a 43 (I don't know about the writing sample). In 2002 or before, that would have been a perfect score because the top score on the Verbal section was reported as 13-15.

Phil Anthropist said:
Not since 2003. I don't know whether or not anyone got a perfect score before that. It's possible.

In 2003, a guy on SDN scored a 13 Verbal, 15 Physical, and 15 Biological for a 43 (I don't know about the writing sample). In 2002 or before, that would have been a perfect score because the top score on the Verbal section was reported as 13-15.

Yah, there have been quite a few people on here whom have gotten 42 or 43. I believe there were at least 4 people last school year whom had 43 as well. Not all of them took it in the same administration of the test, but 2 of them were in the last application cycle and got accepted to the top tier schools.

Shrike said:
Oh, how funny. The season's just begun, and someone's at it again.

All: think, and doublecheck, before you answer a question!

There iwill always be someone who won't be happy without near perfect scores.

I started medical school in 1999 during our first week of orientation we received a breakdown of our entering class GPA/MCATS. I was shocked to find that the range was 21 - 43. It turned out that one of my good friends got that score. He received Bio-15, Phys-15, Verbal-13. Apparently, it was impossible to get higher than 13 on the verbal therefore the highest anyone could get was 43. I believe that stills holds true today.

radonculus said:
I started medical school in 1999 during our first week of orientation we received a breakdown of our entering class GPA/MCATS. I was shocked to find that the range was 21 - 43. It turned out that one of my good friends got that score. He received Bio-15, Phys-15, Verbal-13. Apparently, it was impossible to get higher than 13 on the verbal therefore the highest anyone could get was 43. I believe that stills holds true today.

I don't think it is true that it is impossible to get higher then a 13 in one particular section. However, it is unlikely that anyone will get a perfect score.

Many of those whom got a 42 or 43 had a more even break down of 14, 14, 15 or 14, 14, 14 across the board. So its definitely possible. however, that being said....

It is unlikely that anyone will get 15, 15, 15 because of the way it is graded and the test is designed.

According to the AAMC, it IS possible for test-takers to score a perfect 45, but no one scored higher than 43 in 2003 or 2004. People have scored 15 on one or two individual sections, but no one person scored 15 on all three. Sheesh, it is hard enough to score 15 on ONE section let alone all three of them. :smuggrin:

I got a 40T in April 2003, but when I saw my score, I was actually a bit disappointed, because I wanted at least one 15 and I didn't get one. The problem is I had no idea how it was scored or what a 15 or a 40 even meant, since they didn't release percentiles for several weeks after the scores came out. I discovered SDN when I tried to find out what my score meant by googling "40T". When I found out what it meant, I was stoked. :)

Nutmeg said:
I got a 40T in April 2003, but when I saw my score, I was actually a bit disappointed, because I wanted at least one 15 and I didn't get one. The problem is I had no idea how it was scored or what a 15 or a 40 even meant, since they didn't release percentiles for several weeks after the scores came out. I discovered SDN when I tried to find out what my score meant by googling "40T". When I found out what it meant, I was stoked. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Trust me, many people would love to trade places with you and receive your score.

:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

gujuDoc said:
I don't think it is true that it is impossible to get higher then a 13 in one particular section. However, it is unlikely that anyone will get a perfect score.
You misunderstand. At the time the person you were quoting was talking about (before 2003), it was impossible to score higher than 13 on the verbal reasoning section: top scores, in that section only, were reported as 13-15. As we know, this is no longer true, and 45 is now possible, though no one has done it.

gujuDoc said:
It is unlikely that anyone will get 15, 15, 15 because of the way it is graded and the test is designed.
I have to disagree. I agree that it's unlikely that any given testtaker will get a 45, but that's because the test is really difficult, not because of some subtlety of design. However, I believe it is merely a matter of time before someone gets a perfect score. We know it's been done in each section, and performance on each section is strongly positively correlated with performance on the others, so I'm actually willing to bet it isn't too long. Within five years, max.

(And no, it's not gonna be me -- I'll always manage to miss something. I'll max out at 14, 14, 14. Besides, I once declared on this board that if I got a 45 I'd apply to medical school, and the whole process sounds seriously unfun. [Plusunfun, I guess I should say.])

yeah i've heard of someone with a 44 so it wont be too long until some genius gets a 45. plus, you can miss a couple questions on the science portions and get a 15, so there is a little room for error.

topdogg82 said:
yeah i've heard of someone with a 44 so it wont be too long until some genius gets a 45.
"genius?" please, ladies, you're embarrassing me. i predict i'll get a 43.

Shrike said:
(And no, it's not gonna be me -- I'll always manage to miss something. I'll max out at 14, 14, 14. Besides, I once declared on this board that if I got a 45 I'd apply to medical school, and the whole process sounds seriously unfun. [Plusunfun, I guess I should say.])

If you'd study some organic, you could probably do it. I know someone who could teach you.... ;)

topdogg82 said:
plus, you can miss a couple questions on the science portions and get a 15, so there is a little room for error.
Is this confirmed? Can anyone personally attest to having done this?

I have been told otherwise by people who should know, but I do not know for sure. Please confirm, anyone.

Shrike said:
Is this confirmed? Can anyone personally attest to having done this?

I have been told otherwise by people who should know, but I do not know for sure. Please confirm, anyone.

I'd be interesting to see what kind of Doctor a person with a score of 45 would be.

QofQuimica said:
If you'd study some organic, you could probably do it. I know someone who could teach you.... ;)
There are people who actually know that organic chemistry stuff? Why?

With your help, maybe 14p 15b 14v, but I do have a history of missing one $%&^ question on these things. Good thing, because I doubt I have the patience to be a doctor. (Of course, I do teach...)

That durned verbal section -- I really think they had something with the old 13-15 range. Several great LSAT teachers at TPR refuse to deal with MCAT verbal, because of AAMC's maddening inclusion of questions with no good answers. (Not as bad as ETS tests, but you'd think they could do better.) This essentially never happens on the LSAT, and we get spoiled. Really, I probably have a better chance of nailing a 15 on the bio section than on verbal, for this reason.

KingTutATL said:
I'd be interesting to see what kind of Doctor a person with a score of 45 would be.
i'll bet it'd be someone who tends to get the diagnosis right more often than not. and certainly more often than their colleagues who scored <30. i wish their mcat score was listed next to their degree, 'cause then i'd know who to pick from my ppo list.

housecleaning said:
i'll bet it'd be someone who tends to get the diagnosis right more often than not. and certainly more often than their colleagues who scored <30. i wish their mcat score was listed next to their degree, 'cause then i'd know who to pick from my ppo list.

What are the Boards chop liver buddy?.....huhh huh duhhh

MCAT SMEMCAT...once your in it is not important..and why stop there...might as well list one's 6th grade time in the mile and 2nd grade report card. Then you would have a much more accurate and valid representation of the providers on your PPO list.

callendm said:
What are the Boards chop liver buddy?.....huhh huh duhhh

MCAT SMEMCAT...once your in it is not important..and why stop there...might as well list one's 6th grade time in the mile and 2nd grade report card. Then you would have a much more accurate and valid representation of the providers on your PPO list.
ooops! sorry, banjo! I fergot about y'all in east virginny. my apolergeezs.

Shrike said:
I have to disagree. I agree that it's unlikely that any given testtaker will get a 45, but that's because the test is really difficult, not because of some subtlety of design. However, I believe it is merely a matter of time before someone gets a perfect score. We know it's been done in each section, and performance on each section is strongly positively correlated with performance on the others, so I'm actually willing to bet it isn't too long. Within five years, max.

Oh ok. Either way, even if it is possible, I highly doubt that someone will get in the 44 or 45 range. however, if someone did, I would be really really impressed. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh and I don't know much about the 2002 and before time period of the MCAT. I was just stating that people I know have gotten 14 on Verbal in the past 2 years. Mostly, people I know through the board, but also someone else i know that used to work in the same research lab as me. Like I said, though, I don't know what was different about the 2002 and previous time period.

Shrike said:

'Cause it's the most interesting part of the pre-med curriculum. ;) :p Who cares about that fuddy-duddy physics and biology??? :smuggrin:

Shrike said:
With your help, maybe 14p 15b 14v, but I do have a history of missing one $%&^ question on these things. Good thing, because I doubt I have the patience to be a doctor. (Of course, I do teach...)

You know, I have an idea. There should be optional team MCAT testing. I mean that you get two or three people to complete one test together. Of course, it wouldn't mean s*** for medical school admissions, but I bet we could get a few 45s for each test administration that way, because each team member could specialize. Care to join my team, Shrike? :D I've got first dibs on Shrike!!! I called it!!! :laugh:

Shrike said:

Because when I'm a doctor I'm going to write out all the mechanisms of the pills that I'm prescribing to my patients so they understand how they are made and how they work. :rolleyes: :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
You know, I have an idea. There should be optional team MCAT testing. I mean that you get two or three people to complete one test together. Of course, it wouldn't mean s*** for medical school admissions, but I bet we could get a few 45s for each test administration that way, because each team member could specialize. Care to join my team, Shrike? :D I've got first dibs on Shrike!!! I called it!!! :laugh:

Oooh oooh pick me pick me. *hopes not to be picked last*

I can be the team's water girl and equipment manager.

Those #2 pencils don't sharpen themselves! :p

shantster said:
Because when I'm a doctor I'm going to write out all the mechanisms of the pills that I'm prescribing to my patients so they understand how they are made and how they work. :rolleyes: :laugh:

haha, :thumbup:

And about your avatar, those lines from Frost's poem always bother me. Read back over the poem, it's not clear whether he or she actually takes the less traveled road. This drives me nuts. :smuggrin:

kalix said:
haha, :thumbup:

And about your avatar, those lines from Frost's poem always bother me. Read back over the poem, it's not clear whether he or she actually takes the less traveled road. This drives me nuts. :smuggrin:

Yeah.. I've been meaning on changing that avatar since I got it but I have been slacking on that. It was just one that I found on one of those quiz things on someone's livejournal page and it was the one that I liked the best out of the ones on the page.

shantster said:
I actually used to ask my doctors that sort of thing, in the days when I had health insurance. I think there was a conspiracy to take my coverage away, to prevent my asking that sort of question any more.

Oh... uh, you were serious, right?

QofQuimica said:
Care to join my team, Shrike? :D I've got first dibs on Shrike!!! I called it!!! :laugh:
Honored to be chosen to your playground MCAT squad. Thank you. We're gonna kick some AAMC booty.

Can I play third base? Or middle linebacker? Or setter? Can I? Can I please?

Shrike
TPR physics, verbal, biology, LSAT, GMAT, GRE, kickball

Shrike said:
Honored to be chosen to your playground MCAT squad. Thank you. We're gonna kick some AAMC booty.

Can I play third base? Or middle linebacker? Or setter? Can I? Can I please?

Shrike
TPR physics, verbal, biology, LSAT, GMAT, GRE, kickball

hahahahahahahaha
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have a q's?

In what section would the average pre-med be most likely to score a 14-15?

gujuDoc said:
Probably bio since most people are bio majors.
Actually, that just makes the curve harder. It doesn't matter how well you did in terms of right/wrong answers, it only matters how well you did WRT everyone else. But in any category, the percentage of people getting a 15 is ~0.1%, so the odds are equal across the board for the 15. In 2004, the numbers getting 14 were VR: 0.3%, BS: 1.0%, and PS: 1.7%. Clearly, the spread is broadest in PS, likely because most premeds suck at PS, while virtually all have a reasonable grasp on bio and VR--the few with really strong understanding of PS are more rare than those with really strong understanding of bio or reading comp. That's why the PS was the section where i got my 14, I presume.

Nutmeg said:
Actually, that just makes the curve harder. It doesn't matter how well you did in terms of right/wrong answers, it only matters how well you did WRT everyone else. But in any category, the percentage of people getting a 15 is ~0.1%, so the odds are equal across the board for the 15.
All sensible, but at odds with what we believe to be true. It is generally believed among TPR people that, while each section is curved as you explain, the rules for 15s (only) are not as the statistical approach would dictate -- to get a 15 requires, in practice, a perfect score, regardless of test form or section. This belief is the reason I questioned an earlier post, which stated a different view, so intently.

I don't think many of us can prove this, as we usually don't get to see our raw scores, but in fact my own PS performance last August supports my view -- to be honest, I couldn't imagine having missed more than one question on the PS last time, and given the distribution of scores in PS I suspect that would have put me in the top 0.1% (my test form had a rather difficult PS section, relative to others), but I still recorded only a 14. (I guess it is possible to see one's raw score, isn't it? I didn't, but someone who did might be able to settle this.)

If my hypothesis is correct, 14 on the PS should be somewhat broader and 15 somewhat narrower, in terms of percentiles, than what is reported by AAMC.

This is all speculation, though based on a ton of anecdotal evidence as well as some insider knowledge (second- and third-hand, though). Anyone who knows for certain how the calculations work for scores of 15, please tell us. The only datum that will prove me wrong is a confirmed 15 with at least one question wrong in the corresponding section; unfortunately, there's no way to prove me right.