41 years old. Should I reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyclhex38

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a 41 female new to SDN and a clothes designer who was in medical school more then 12 years ago but had to drop out due to personal issues and there is only one semester's record of me at the school. I don't really remember much of the mcat now so obvioulsy that is something I would need to take again; thinking of taking a 1 year refresher course and then taking the mcat sicne I already have all the pre requisites from mid 90's. What I really would like is some sort of program that might be suitable for people in my shoes. Does anyone know of a program for those who have been in medical school previously and are trying again? How does it look to the addmission committees as well? I am quite open at this point for any reasonable suggestion.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably get more knowledgeable advice in the reapplicant forum. I can move your thread there if you like.

I think your best bet would be to approach your previous school first and inquire about the possibility of being reinstated as an M1.

Being a previous med student changes things. Do as NTF says and speak with the school first.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll probably get more knowledgeable advice in the reapplicant forum. I can move your thread there if you like.

I think your best bet would be to approach your previous school first and inquire about the possibility of being reinstated as an M1.

I talked to the school few days back. It said its been 13 years ago so reapply with all things again like mcat. Does any one know of a accelerated 1 yr/ 18 mos programs for premed students which then grant admission to MD medical colleges they are affilated with? My situation seems diffrent than most premeds on here but I'm sure their are people reading this who have been in same boat. Your opinions are especially appreciated.

Last edited:
I talked to the school few days back. It said its been 13 years ago so reapply with all things again like mcat. Does any one know of a accelerated 1 yr/ 18 mos programs for premed students which then grant admission to MD medical colleges they are affilated with? My situation seems diffrent than most premeds on here but I'm sure their are people reading this who have been in same boat. Your opinions are especially appreciated.
Haven't seen a story like this before. In your shoes I'd expect to have to forge a new path.

See the postbac forum for a variety of options.

Best of luck to you.

Hey all. I'm a 41 female new to SDN and a clothes designer who was in medical school more then 12 years ago but had to drop out due to personal issues and there is only one semester's record of me at the school. I don't really remember much of the mcat now so obvioulsy that is something I would need to take again; thinking of taking a 1 year refresher course and then taking the mcat sicne I already have all the pre requisites from mid 90's. What I really would like is some sort of program that might be suitable for people in my shoes. Does anyone know of a program for those who have been in medical school previously and are trying again? How does it look to the addmission committees as well? I am quite open at this point for any reasonable suggestion.

In general, you have six years to complete a four-year medical school curriculum (state licensure requirements-pretty uniform across the county). You are not eligible to reapply to other medical schools until your previous medical school releases you from your six years. Quite likely, since it's been 12 years, you are not going to be eligible for readmission to your previous school unless they are willing to allow you to start from the beginning (depending on how many years you burned at that time-if more than 2, all bets are off). If they won't readmit you, they should release you but again, your previous matriculation may be problematic for other schools. Be prepared for an uphill battle.

In general, you have six years to complete a four-year medical school curriculum (state licensure requirements-pretty uniform across the county). You are not eligible to reapply to other medical schools until your previous medical school releases you from your six years. Quite likely, since it's been 12 years, you are not going to be eligible for readmission to your previous school unless they are willing to allow you to start from the beginning (depending on how many years you burned at that time-if more than 2, all bets are off). If they won't readmit you, they should release you but again, your previous matriculation may be problematic for other schools. Be prepared for an uphill battle.

the school says there is no record of me because 10 yrs have passed. From responces here on here it seem no 1 has had a similar issue which is kind of hard to believe

Last edited:
the school says there is no record of me because 10 yrs have passed. From responces here on here it seem no 1 has had a similar issue which is kind of hard to believe

Not trying to provoke, but you find it hard to believe that no one has left medical school (after being accepted as a nontrad the first time around based on your age,) joined the workforce for 12 years doing something completely non-medically related, and then tried to go back to medical school? No, there will not be many people on here with any first-hand advice for you. But best of luck.

Not trying to provoke, but you find it hard to believe that no one has left medical school (after being accepted as a nontrad the first time around based on your age,) joined the workforce for 12 years doing something completely non-medically related, and then tried to go back to medical school? No, there will not be many people on here with any first-hand advice for you. But best of luck.

I think the better question mite be how many people who were once in medical school and dropped out went back successfully?