473 unfilled positions? Was 377 last year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dry dre

All hat, no cattle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The numbers listed are the match outcomes for "surgery-general" in 2005 and 2004, respectively.

The majority of these positions are prelim, but still....does this mean that this year's match was "less competative."

Members don't see this ad.

dry dre said:
The numbers listed are the match outcomes for "surgery-general" in 2005 and 2004, respectively.

The majority of these positions are prelim, but still....does this mean that this year's match was "less competative."

Do you know how many spots are categorical?

Last year out of the 377 I think only 2 (two) were categorical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey can you post the link to this information. Thanks

Otto42 said:
Hey can you post the link to this information. Thanks

The data from this year is on the NRMP site; last year's data can be found at scutwork.

but the number of avaliable spots increased by around 200.. i dont' know what it means :confused:

maverick213 said:
Do you know how many spots are categorical?

My numbers are a little off (by 20)-- i'm not known for my speed-addition skills...

Based on adding up the quota #s for both cat and prelim,

Categorical 1051
Prelim 1311
Total 2362 -- (2382 listed on the regional stats on nrmp site)

We'll all know exact #s next week when the final #s are posted.

deb

98 unfilled categorical spots---Aproximately??[/SIZE]

captainj said:
98 unfilled categorical spots---Aproximately??

Huh? How did you come up with this number? Since the number of applicants and interviewees was up sharply this year, I find it hard to believe that such a large number of Cat spots would be unfilled.

Kimberli Cox said:
Huh? How did you come up with this number? Since the number of applicants and interviewees was up sharply this year, I find it hard to believe that such a large number of Cat spots would be unfilled.

This is a rough calculation: Last year 377 spots went unfilled (only 2 were categorical) This year 473 went unfilled. If you assume that 375 spots are preliminary spots (going by last years numbers, then about 98 spots are categorical. This assumes--of course--that the number of position remained constant. Wow, now all i need is an equation :cool:

captainj said:
This is a rough calculation: Last year 377 spots went unfilled (only 2 were categorical) This year 473 went unfilled. If you assume that 375 spots are preliminary spots (going by last years numbers, then about 98 spots are categorical. This assumes--of course--that the number of position remained constant. Wow, now all i need is an equation :cool:

IGNORE this calculation--i am completely way off. There is no way 98 categorical spots are unfilled. I bet only 1 categorical and 472 prelims are unfilled/

Over 260 new spots were added. I have no idea how many were categorical and how many were prelims. There's probably no way that there are that many categoricals available. We'll know for sure on Thursday. For now let's hope all of those of us who did not match can find a place.

debvz said:
My numbers are a little off (by 20)-- i'm not known for my speed-addition skills...

Based on adding up the quota #s for both cat and prelim,

Categorical 1051
Prelim 1311
Total 2362 -- (2382 listed on the regional stats on nrmp site)

Just adding on from my earlier post,
From 2004 NRMP Comparison Statistics, in 2004,
Categorical 1044
Prelim 1074
Total 2118

Looks like those extra 200 or so positions were pretty much all prelims.

deb

Denial said:
teeheee . :laugh:
Are you already a resident? Your post have been massively informative.
Also what is your top 2 test of choice?
Good luck.

Yep - PGY 4 in Gen Surg at Penn State.

Test of choice? How about the Driver's license test and a good old fashioned spelling test? (NB: not sure what you were referring to)

Kimberli Cox said:
Yep - PGY 4 in Gen Surg at Penn State.

Test of choice? How about the Driver's license test and a good old fashioned spelling test? (NB: not sure what you were referring to)
hey sorry,
I meant TEXT of choice. Like greenfield or sabiston . and also for pathophysio as ganong is poorly equiped with info. I am thinking guyton.?
thanx
denial

Denial said:
hey sorry,
I meant TEXT of choice. Like greenfield or sabiston . and also for pathophysio as ganong is poorly equiped with info. I am thinking guyton.?
thanx
denial

Ahhh...that makes a bit more sense.

We use Greenfield here as our text, but frankly I also read Cameron now (which implies I actually read). I've got pretty much all the major texts and I do use the others (ie, Mastery of Surgery, Zollinger's, even Schwartz) from time to time depending on the strength of the subject as presented. Greenfield has a fair bit of basic science and Cameron is more clinical.

No one book is really better than the others; overall they all have strengths and weaknesses. Find one you like and stick with it.

GreatSaphenous said:
Over 260 new spots were added. I have no idea how many were categorical and how many were prelims. There's probably no way that there are that many categoricals available. We'll know for sure on Thursday. For now let's hope all of those of us who did not match can find a place.

Did you not match? I hope the scramble worked out well for you!! :(