486 COMLEX 1... Is peds possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BossDoctor786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a current third year. My comlex score is 486 and I did not take the USMLE. I wanted to get into a pediatrics program, preferably in the midwest. Do I have a decent chance for this? I have also been considering FM, which I know would be less competitive for me. However, how much of a chance do I have in pediatrics? And how many programs should I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

1000x yes. Peds is DO friendly. Apply broadly and do away rotations. Midwest is even more DO friendly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in peds yourself and went through a similar process?

I am a current peds resident and have multiple peds friends that having varying usmle scores/no usmle and all had success. If you are worried, there is only 1 osteopathic recognized peds program and that’s OK state. I’m sure they won’t care if you took the usmle or not.

Hey everyone,

I am a current third year. My comlex score is 486 and I did not take the USMLE. I wanted to get into a pediatrics program, preferably in the midwest. Do I have a decent chance for this? I have also been considering FM, which I know would be less competitive for me. However, how much of a chance do I have in pediatrics? And how many programs should I apply to?
Do you have a pulse? Then congrats on peds. It is literally the easiest specialty to match as a DO (yes, even more than FM)

• Haha
Hmmm. I just checked NRMP and avg level 1 is 495 for FM and 522 for peds. I guess there isn't much of a difference.
Yes, but the match rate for peds is like 96% whereas FM is like 94%. Level score is only part of the picture

Do you have a pulse? Then congrats on peds. It is literally the easiest specialty to match as a DO (yes, even more than FM)

Unless you’ve failed steps. They are less forgiving than FM. But all in all I agree it is extremely uncompetitive for a multitude of reasons. Mainly you have to either really like kids or hate adults to take the pay cut.

As for 96% vs 94%, that’s pretty much a wash and more likely another reason than competitiveness. Whether people like it or not, everyone with a ton of red flags is told to apply fm. These people shouldn’t be and if the programs can see through it then they will not match them.

Unless you’ve failed steps. They are less forgiving than FM. But all in all I agree it is extremely uncompetitive for a multitude of reasons. Mainly you have to either really like kids or hate adults to take the pay cut.

As for 96% vs 94%, that’s pretty much a wash and more likely another reason than competitiveness. Whether people like it or not, everyone with a ton of red flags is told to apply fm. These people shouldn’t be and if the programs can see through it then they will not match them.
Fair enough. High match rate could also be explained by self selection as you mention