This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajp98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Make sure you do much better second attempt and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
=

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
At least a 505

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the MCAT in August and scored a 497. I had already submitted my primary to 5 schools, since I planned to enter med school directly after graduation (I graduate this december). I have a 3.88 sGPA.

1) Are my chances significantly hurt because of the 497?
2) I plan to retake in January, as I don't think I'll have much hope for this cycle.
3) Should I add schools and submit secondaries ASAP, or hold off?
4) Will the 497 hurt me life-long, even if I get a better score next attempt?
For MD schools:

1) Yes.

2) If you check your MSAR, you can see if any of your schools will consider a January MCAT score (which is unlikely, based on the last time I looked). So there's no rush to retake. You might as well take a few extra months to study and perhaps take it after spring break, if you are repeatedly scoring in your target zone.

3) No. Don't waste your money.

4) Some schools average MCAT scores. Others take the most recent or the highest one. Aim your future applications at med schools with the latter policies.

@Catalystik shoud OP withdraw from the five schools he had primaries sent to or doesn’t it mater?

I guess this is a good example of why experts say you shouldn’t apply without your MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
For MD schools:

1) Yes.

2) If you check your MSAR, you can see if any of your schools will consider a January MCAT score (which is unlikely, based on the last time I looked). So there's no rush to retake. You might as well take a few extra months to study and perhaps take it after spring break, if you are repeatedly scoring in your target zone.

3) No. Don't waste your money.

4) Some schools average MCAT scores. Others take the most recent or the highest one. Aim your future applications at med schools with the latter policies.

So I will still be fine for MD schools, if I retake and get above a 510 right? The 497 won't overshadow the new score?

@Catalystik shoud OP withdraw from the five schools he had primaries sent to or doesn’t it mater?

I guess this is a good example of why experts say you shouldn’t apply without your MCAT score.
I would suggest that withdrawing from this cycle is appropriate.

If OP has not yet been verified, a Withdrawal of all applications can be done through the AMCAS portal, and all but $170 of the application fees would be returned.

If verification is complete, withdrawal can be done through each school individually. There is no mention of any Secondaries having been sent, but if they are not returned when received, that is the same as withdrawing from further consideration. However, it would be polite to formally withdraw from further consideration at each school. One doesn't want to burn bridges.

Reactions: 2 users
So I will still be fine for MD schools, if I retake and get above a 510 right? The 497 won't overshadow the new score?
I don't know about fine. See above, about averaging. Most established DO schools have a 505 cutoff, not all that high. Do better on your next try
Good luck and best wishes

I would suggest that withdrawing from this cycle is appropriate.

If OP has not yet been verified, a Withdrawal of all applications can be done through the AMCAS portal, and all but $170 of the application fees would be returned.

If verification is complete, withdrawal can be done through each school individually. There is no mention of any Secondaries having been sent, but if they are not returned when received, that is the same as withdrawing from further consideration. However, it would be polite to formally withdraw from further consideration at each school. One doesn't want to burn bridges.
I already sent back the 5 secondaries, since I had put in the money into primaries already. I just won't apply to those 5 schools next cycle, and will not add more to this cycle. Hoping to get app feedback from those 5 to see how I can do better next try.

I already sent back the 5 secondaries . . . . I just won't apply to those 5 schools next cycle
I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't reapply to those five schools. Many med schools do not hold reapplications against you. All schools will be able to see all MCAT scores, even if they are not valid for application due to expiration. Do your research before deciding.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't reapply to those five schools. Many med schools do not hold reapplications against you. All schools will be able to see all MCAT scores, even if they are not valid for application due to expiration. Do your research before deciding.
Got it. Thanks!

I took the MCAT in August and scored a 497. I had already submitted my primary to 5 schools, since I planned to enter med school directly after graduation (I graduate this december). I have a 3.88 sGPA.

Are my chances significantly hurt because of the 497? I plan to retake in January, as I don't think I'll have much hope for this cycle. Should I add schools and submit secondaries ASAP, or hold off? Will the 497 hurt me life-long, even if I get a better score next attempt?

I received the same score when I first took the test. I received a 515 the second time. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice on retaking. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users