498 on new MCAT. How bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowmix1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the july 2015 mcat.
Received the breakdown:
Chem/Physics: 123 33%
CARS: 123 33%
Biology: 125 50%
Psych: 127 75%

Total: 498 (43%)

I have a 3.51 cgpa. Science GPA is a 3.3 - 3.4. Which is already low for MD schools. I'm going to be a senior at Loyola Chicago. Part-time job, 3 years of pathology research, publication, shadowing, hospital volunteering, community outreach, and etc. Average/decent ECs. Great letters of Rec. My GPA would be much higher but I was hospitalized my freshman year. I obtained a 4.0 science/cumulative GPA for the most recent semester. I submitted my apps to Rush, Rosalind Franklin, and Loyola since I knew MD was a long shot - I mostly applied to DO schools (23 in total): KYCOM, LEUCOM NEUCOM, Burrell, Ohio Heritage, Des Moines, MSUCOM, Novasoutheastern, West Virginia, Edward Via (both campuses, PCOM (Philly & Georgia), Marian, A.T Still - Arizona/Kirksville, Western, Midwestern, Liberty, Campbell, Lincoln, AZCOM, CCOM and pretty much everywhere excluding the Touros, Alabama, New York. Not a chicago resident. From New England. I just received secondaries from Rosalind Franklin and Loyola.
Low for MD schools.
Obviously, a 498 isn't good and the last MCAT is offered in September - which isn't enough time.
Since I didn't take a prep course and I've heard reviews for Kaplan. I'm thinking about taking a kaplan course and taking the mcat in January 2016.
How should I interpret this for both MD and DO schools? Since I've received secondaries from Loyola and Rosalind Franklin - do I bother even filling them out? Am I screwed for this cycle? Would the January MCAT even help me this cycle?
How bad is my score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bad. Forget MD schools, and the top DO schools.
I wasn't aiming for a top-tier DO school. I admitted that MD schools were already reaches in my previous post.
How does a January MCAT retake look?

By January, once you have your new scores in hand and get them submitted, you'll probably end up interviewing for a spot on a wait list, at least for those skills that don't average scores.

Of these schools, your chances are best with:

KYCOM, NEUCOM, Burrell, Ohio Heritage, Nova southeastern, West Virginia, Edward Via (both campuses, PCOM (Philly & Georgia), Marian, A.T Still - Arizona/Kirksville, LMU, Wm Carey and all three VCOMs.

By January, once you have your new scores in hand and get them submitted, you'll probably end up interviewing for a spot on a wait list, at least for those skills that don't average scores.

Of these schools, your chances are best with:

KYCOM, NEUCOM, Burrell, Ohio Heritage, Nova southeastern, West Virginia, Edward Via (both campuses, PCOM (Philly & Georgia), Marian, A.T Still - Arizona/Kirksville, LMU, Wm Carey and all three VCOMs.

Ugh.
Are the DO schools you listed- are the ones I have a chance for interviewing for a spot on a wait list after I submit new scores in January - or schools that I currently have a shot at right now?