499 MCAT but 3.79 GPA!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenny710

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle to every DO school and NOVA and Seton Hall for my MD schools. What are my chances with a 499 MCAT (retake, first time I got a 501). I have around 150 shadowing hours (DO and MD combined), 200 research hours at a top 25 med school, one poster presentation, another one is coming. 200 clinical volunteering hours, officer of a club. 3.79 GPA, 3.69 sGPA. What are my chances of getting into a school this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats, especially the newer schools. Where is your state of residence ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this cycle to every DO school and NOVA and Seton Hall for my MD schools. What are my chances with a 499 MCAT (retake, first time I got a 501). I have around 150 shadowing hours (DO and MD combined), 200 research hours at a top 25 med school, one poster presentation, another one is coming. 200 clinical volunteering hours, officer of a club. 3.79 GPA, 3.69 sGPA. What are my chances of getting into a school this cycle?
Wait, did you go from a 501 to a 499? Or am I mistakenly reversing that?

It is worth applying to your Texas MD schools since almost 15% of applicants with your MCAT scores receive an acceptance. For OOS MD schools you could add these:
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loma Linda

It is worth applying to your Texas MD schools since almost 15% of applicants with your MCAT scores receive an acceptance. For OOS MD schools you could add these:
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loma Linda
Only if OP is Adventist or devoutly religious (and doesn't drink or have sex outside of marriage) can I recommend Loma Linda.

Reactions: 3 users
Some DO schools pre-screen at around a 500 MCAT mark, so I would look into that as I'm not sure if they will average the two scores or look at the most recent, etc. (Of the top of my head, KCU-MB pre-screens at a 501 MCAT.)

I got 3 DO and 3 MD interviews with similar stats to yours. I got accepted to 2 DO schools, I think MD may have been possible if I would have applied earlier (submitted secondaries day they were due).

I got 3 DO and 3 MD interviews with similar stats to yours. I got accepted to 2 DO schools, I think MD may have been possible if I would have applied earlier (submitted secondaries day they were due).
Would you mind sharing what MD schools you got an interview to?

What MD schools did you apply to ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a 499? If so, I can recommend you a few schools
Def the hbcu’s .... It also depends on her exp and PS that’s why I believe I’m doing so well this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Miami
Indiana
State schools
If U have experience in underserved communities/service then GW and UCLA/DREW
Temple
Creighton
Drexel
Adding on to this list:
Howard
Meharry
MCW