4th DAT attempt and ended up with a 14 in QR, WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dannys00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just the DAT for the 4th time today and I did even worse on the QR section. Here are the previous and current scores:
-9/15/2015 -- 12/14/2015 -- 7/21/2017 -- 3/02/2020
PAT: 13 -- 16 -- 17 -- 23
QR: 15 -- 15 -- 15 -- 14
RC: 15 -- 17 -- 17 -- 18
Bio: 16 -- 16 -- 18 -- 19
GC: 16 -- 14 -- 17 -19
OC: 16 -- 16 -- 17 -- 21
TS: 16 -- 15 -- 17 -- 19
AA: 16 -- 16 -- 17 -- 18

BS - Bio major/chem minor 2017: 3.39
Nonthesis MS in bio 2019: 3.434

I'm embarrassed to even put my numbers on here, but I'm not sure if I can ever get into dental school and would like advice. I've applied to dental school 4 times and MU has been the only school to interview me (2017 and 2018). I wasn't asked for an interview in 2019, even though I completed a masters degree. What are my chances of getting accepted into any dental school now?
My current plan is to find a job in the microbio field because I took micro heavy courses for my masters degree and I enjoy them very much. The only other thing I can think of is to take the DAT again next year and focus more on the QR and of course apply to dental schools and hope for the best..

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

That QR is definitely going to be problem. Especially since you haven't shown an improvement over the four exams.
How did you study for the DAT?
Your GPA is fine. My GPA was similar to that and I got accepted this cycle.

The good news though is that in all other subscores you improved on the DAT. There are some schools that don't place considerable weight on the QR score, and there are those that do. All you can do is find out which schools are more likely to disregard the lack of improvement in that score considering how you improved in all the other areas.

For more comprehensive insight on your application and your chances, use the WAMC template to provide the desired information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
That QR is definitely going to be problem. Especially since you haven't shown an improvement over the four exams.
How did you study for the DAT?
Your GPA is fine. My GPA was similar to that and I got accepted this cycle.

which school did you get accepted into if you don't mind me asking. thank you

Reactions: 1 user
I’m just gonna be straight up. With your numbers I’d only apply to expensive private schools but don’t be shocked if you don’t get in.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have to agree here.
I also agree with this. not trying to be mean, but you have 2 gpas that are not the greatest on top of not great dat scores. If you really want to be a dentist, be prepared to go anywhere to school in the US and pay a steep price.

How have you been preparing for the DAT? I would re-work your approach there because it's likely the most significant factor holding you back.