4th MCAT, yes or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mahwish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th MCAT? Have had trouble with physics, but have been studying for months and am consistently getting 12s on practice tests. Previous scores, P7V11B9, P7V10B10, P8V11B10. Everything else in app is solid.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends...how many have you taken this year? (can't take more than 3 in one application year)

...what are your scores? have you been improving?
EDIT: your edit gives scores.

I have been improving, and I'm confident I can get Physics up. The first two tests I took were in the summer of 2009, and the last one was last summer. Since then, I've been working as a Med Tech at Wayne State University and I've had a lot of time to study.

I've been getting 12s on only the most recent practice AAMC tests I've taken, and my previous practice tests were pretty accurate in terms of predicting my actual mcat scores. I know it was dumb to take the actual tests when I wasn't hitting the scores I wanted on practice tests, but I freaked out about timing and having to take a year off... which I ended up having to do anyway :p

My concern is that I've heard that taking the mcat 4 times seriously hinders your chances of acceptance. I don't want adcoms to just throw out my application because they think I took it too many times. I'm wondering if going into the next cycle with a 29 after taking the mcat 3 times is better than going into it with a 32+ after taking it 4 times?

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither is good. Whenever you retake, there's an expectation for a significant improvement. Unfortunately, even if you get a 32, you'll still have an uphill battle. Also, I wouldn't trust that practice PS score.

Thanks for the input! I guess I have no other choice than to give this one my very best shot and apply broadly. Hopefully, it's enough to get at least one acceptance.

You really shouldn't retake again unless you can absolutely nail it and get a 35+ Another score hovering around high 20s/low 30s probably won't offset the shear number of bad retakes.

Thanks for the input! I guess I have no other choice than to give this one my very best shot and apply broadly. Hopefully, it's enough to get at least one acceptance.

Your scores should get you into a D.O. school.