4th year about to get dismissed! Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junee1007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a 4th year MS who is about to be dismissed from a medical school on grounds of poor academic performance. To describe my situation a little: I have passed through my second year without any problem (one minor fail(histology test that was remediated with retest). Then during the summer when I had to take step 1, my grandfather passed away, which caused extreme psychological disturbance. I was not able to take step 1. Then I go through third year failing 2 of the required clekrshis. After third year I was so stressed out and decided to take a year off and do research, but I was not in my right mind and didn't start reserach until December. School found this out and put me on probation since basically I was "lying" about my research student status. At this time I had a psychological consulting because of possible depressive episodes. After a year off I got back, trying to take step 1, but I was still not able to concentrate and did couple of electives and took one of the shelf exams, which I failed. So I remediated with extra clinical time. I was not able to take the second shelf and dean suggested taking some time off until I felt I was able to succeedd academically. So I took the second part of the year off, and I got back to beginning of my fourth year, and took step 1 and took the second shelf retake, which I failed again. So now school committee will be discussing possibility of dismissal beacuse of poor academic performace.

Is there anyone who experienced or know someone in similar situation?

My questions is how likely is it that they will actually dismiss me and what can I do to prevent getting dismissed? After getting dismissed, I have heard people appealing their case to the school to be re-instated. What does that entail? (i.e., hiring a lawyer? writing a letter? what is the actual process of appealing ?)

Also, when you get dismissed, do you have to start paying off your loans immediately? Is there any way of being granted forberance? I would have to file a bankruptcy if I have to start paying off my loans now.

Please Help! any advice welcome! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a huge mess. Did you ever pass step 1? You do realize that you can never get out of the student loans even with a bankruptcy dont you? I think I would try to convince them to let you take a full year off to get your head together/study for step1. Then you could start back as an MS3. The research lying thing does not look good but you may be able to play it off as too much going on in your life. Do you still really want to finish?

It sounds like the school has good grounds to dismiss you for poor academic performance. Sounds like they gave you multiple opportunities. You don't have much recourse. Dismissals from med schools for one reason or another are common. About 5% of students won't make it through.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should seriously pay more attention to your academics because you know, eventually, peoples lives are defendant upon it.

I think it's a valid point the OP inadvertently makes. Once you start this path there is an immense load of pressure to finish out that most people don't fully realize until they go off the tracks. They really have you by the short and curlies when it comes to these loans. Let's say you do fail out of med school - there aren't a ton of jobs clamoring for B.S. in Biology.

Hi,
I am MS4 at a top 20 us med school trying to apply for residency match this year. my step 1 score is 220.
My clinical grade not so good. 2-3 high passes(medicine and surgery) and everything else is just pass. I don't know anyone in the field, so my letters will be generic. I took a year off to do basic science research but no publication.

I am trying to apply to either anesthesiology or internal medicine to do either cardio or pulm fellowship.

So my question is:
1. how likely is it for me to get a position at a major university anesthesiology program?
2. What are the future prospects of the anesthesiology compared to cardiology or pulmonology? pros and cons?

I feel like if I don't land a fellowship after 3 yrs of IM, then I'm pretty screwed whereas if i just go into anesthesia, i don't have to worry about such things. Can anyone enlighten me to make a wise decision???:eek: Thanks!!!!

Here's an earlier post by the OP. Even if you don't get dismissed, I think you would have a difficult time in the match, especially with your two failed clerkships. Your step 1 is good. IM is probably more realistic. Good luck with staying in and the match.

Sure are a lot of asshats on this board who do nothing to offer advice to the OP. I don't have a lot to suggest, have you passed Step 1? If so, I would appeal the decision of the school and work on making up the 3rd year clerkships you failed. I would present them with a clear outline of why you failed, and a strategy you have developed for succeding if reinstated. I would start now by utilizing all services available to you, from student mental health to tutoring services. I would also meet with course directors and professors for advice. These steps will show you are serious about your studies and making an effort/plan to comfront your psych/educational issues. I would meet with your dean and ask the process for appealing their decision, as I am sure a process has been developed.

Here's an earlier post by the OP. Even if you don't get dismissed, I think you would have a difficult time in the match, especially with your two failed clerkships. Your step 1 is good. IM is probably more realistic. Good luck with staying in and the match.

yeah, my dean mentioned that to me as well saying it will be very difficult to receive interviews for IM and all the other residencies for that matter once they see NC/P (two of them) on my transcript. Is there anyone with F or remediated courses who match into a respectable US IM program?

It sounds like the school has good grounds to dismiss you for poor academic performance. Sounds like they gave you multiple opportunities. You don't have much recourse. Dismissals from med schools for one reason or another are common. About 5% of students won't make it through.

I know most of them occur before 2nd year. I haven't heard anyone who got dismissed during 3/4th year for failing same shelf exams twice. But I may be one of the few.. who knows. praying it doesn't happen

Are you saying IM will be relatively easier to match than anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, my dean mentioned that to me as well saying it will be very difficult to receive interviews for IM and all the other residencies for that matter once they see NC/P (two of them) on my transcript. Is there anyone with F or remediated courses who match into a respectable US IM program?

First, try to stay in. You better beg and grovel. The odds are against you staying in. Schools can and will dismiss you and there's not much you can do about it, even if you get a lawyer.

Second, if you stay in, apply very broadly and widely. Probably 100+ IM and anesthesiology programs. IM is much easier to get in than gas and so you have to be realistic with yourself. Take step 2 CK and CS early and crush them. Give PD's every reason to take a second look at you. Step 1 220 and top 20 school will help you a lot. If you don't match, do a research year.

You have to be humble in this process. You screwed up big time and now you're paying the price. I know of FMG's who apply to every single IM program in the country and get like 5 interviews. I know of one US grad who applied to every radiology program in the country and got into a rads residency by the skin of his teeth.

Exactly, then how can you get mad at me? I see these threads far too often. Its basically lack of effort, and then followed by a "save me thread".

I'm not mad at you, I just think you're being a dick.

Hi, I am a 4th year MS who is about to be dismissed from a medical school on grounds of poor academic performance. To describe my situation a little: I have passed through my second year without any problem (one minor fail(histology test that was remediated with retest). Then during the summer when I had to take step 1, my grandfather passed away, which caused extreme psychological disturbance. I was not able to take step 1. Then I go through third year failing 2 of the required clekrshis. After third year I was so stressed out and decided to take a year off and do research, but I was not in my right mind and didn't start reserach until December. School found this out and put me on probation since basically I was "lying" about my research student status. At this time I had a psychological consulting because of possible depressive episodes. After a year off I got back, trying to take step 1, but I was still not able to concentrate and did couple of electives and took one of the shelf exams, which I failed. So I remediated with extra clinical time. I was not able to take the second shelf and dean suggested taking some time off until I felt I was able to succeedd academically. So I took the second part of the year off, and I got back to beginning of my fourth year, and took step 1 and took the second shelf retake, which I failed again. So now school committee will be discussing possibility of dismissal beacuse of poor academic performace.

My questions is how likely is it that they will actually dismiss me and what can I do to prevent getting dismissed? After getting dismissed, I have heard people appealing their case to the school to be re-instated. What does that entail? (i.e., hiring a lawyer? writing a letter? what is the actual process of appealing ?)

Also, when you get dismissed, do you have to start paying off your loans immediately? Is there any way of being granted forberance? I would have to file a bankruptcy if I have to start paying off my loans now.

Your situation is pretty rare in that most students who get through first and second year manage to hang in there thorough third and fourth. Whether the problem is rare or common, you have to sit down and have a through chat with your dean of students. You have to know what options are open to you and what your next steps are. Perhaps an appeal might be in your future but you need to know exactly what is possible from the school's standpoint.

In addition, you need to have a professional evaluation (psychiatric not psychological) from someone who can figure out what will be the best course of action for you. Obviously, you have suffered some major setbacks that have placed you in a tailspin that you can't see your way out of. Perhaps with a thorough professional evaluation, you might be able to get the treatment you need to get yourself and your career back on track. Certainly, you are not the first medical student to have major traumatic events that derailed them.

Medical schools earn no points for destroying the lives and careers of students. After four years, you certainly have earned the benefit of the doubt and you have earned/paid for the right to salvage your career. Your dean of students and perhaps a trusted faculty adviser can likely be of help. If you are beyond this stage, you may need to get a specific diagnosis for your problem and the seek legal counsel so that once you are treated, you can continue.

Last, please try to find someone at your school or a legal adviser that can be of significant help rather than subjecting yourself to additional commentary on a public message board. The most valuable thing that you can do at this point is to take care of yourself. From what you have described, you have a major traumatic loss (on top of the stress of boards and medical school) that derailed your ability to continue with your academics. If you had been hit by a truck and suffered a major trauma, my guess is that you would end up with the same problems and you need to get yourself healthy (mentally) before you try to get your career back together. Your career will be there when you are ready to assume it. You previously had things under control and you likely can get things back to where you need them. Good luck but this board is not the place to get things figured out.

I will try to write a letter to the committee explaining my situation and how I will manage to set the ship right.
Thanks all for your advice!

I second NJBMD's comment. I couldn't have said it better.

1. People have family losses all of the time. My friend's mother died from cancer her first year of medical school. She pulled through and is now an Internal Medicine resident. The fact that your significant loss resulted in a what could possibly have been a major depressive episode is not a normal response. A psychiatrist needed to be involved then, and needs to be involved now. Everyone has different coping mechanisms. You just needed more help. Medications would have certainly helped. There are plenty of medical students and residents on medications for depression or dysthymic disorder, or something else. It is an issue that is openly discussed and shared with UCSF students so as to not to make it stigmatizing.

2. Failing 2 of the required clerkships was probably not b/c your grandparent died. You have to figure out exactly why you failed. Was it b/c of your personality, your knowledge base, your patient care abilities, other psych issues? Was it the scores or the actually comments or both? Evaluations are meant to teach. If you don't internalize some of your evaluations and try to do better, you're doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

3. Lying in medical school is not professional. The medical profession has a zero tolerance for that. So my advice is to not do that again.

4. I don't know about school dismissal processes, but I would beg and plead to stay. Get people who support you to speak up for you. I don't think you deserve to get kicked out of medical school. You just need more time. But remember that you will be treating patients one day so you need to get it together soon.

5. Everyone deserves a second chance. Life hits us full of surprises. No one is at their best all of the time. Everyone makes mistakes. Get the book "Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do!" by Robert Schuller. You should find it for cheap online or at your local library. Read it b/c it will inspire you through the tough road ahead. You need some positive words of advice, and this book will do it.

6. Please recognize where you went wrong and take ownership of your mistakes. That is the only way to move past this.

7. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
If you were at UCSF, the school would have pushed harder to get you emotionally stable before starting up again. So in that sense, your school failed you by not noticing the problem sooner and providing you with the needed psych support soon after your grandparent died.

2. Failing 2 of the required clerkships was probably not b/c your grandparent died. You have to figure out exactly why you failed. Was it b/c of your personality, your knowledge base, your patient care abilities, other psych issues? Was it the scores or the actually comments or both?

I believe it's not being able to study for step 1 and take it before third year that led to 2 failed shelf exams in the first place. Without basic science foundation, it was really hard to grasp all the necessary knowledge during the first part of third year(I failed my first two shelfs).
This is the way I view it, but people might view it as lame excuses for not studying my ass off during third year.

My post was not intended to be read that way at all. I honestly apologize if you read it that way. It was only used to compare and contrast, and to share what is done at other schools. I can only speak from my experience, and I hope what I wrote was helpful to the OP, since that was whom I was specifically addressing.

Junee1007, I think you will be fine. Many students go through this tough process. I think you are handling it well and professionally and that you have the perseverance to get past this. I wish you the very best. Remember to seek out those people at your school who will support you.

I believe it's not being able to study for step 1 and take it before third year that led to 2 failed shelf exams in the first place. Without basic science foundation, it was really hard to grasp all the necessary knowledge during the first part of third year(I failed my first two shelfs).
This is the way I view it, but people might view it as lame excuses for not studying my ass off during third year.

Right now, your med school is looking for some modicum of personal responsibility from you. In your original post, I was struck by what lengths you went to to avoid admitting any culpability. It could be that you are one unlucky SOB who has just been railroaded by circumstance, but fairly or unfairly you have to frame your apology along the lines of "I screwed up," not "I was unable to not screw up."

My post was not intended to be read that way at all. I honestly apologize if you read it that way. It was only used to compare and contrast, and to share what is done at other schools. I can only speak from my experience, and I hope what I wrote was helpful to the OP, since that was whom I was specifically addressing.

All you have to say is "gee, it sounds like your school could have supported you more." UCSF is a fine school, but it's not a magical place where no wrong is done, and further it's irrelevant to the point. For all you know, OP goes to UCSF.

I know I made mistakes in terms of not putting in enough effort, and I would like to pay the price but not by getting dismissed from the school after 4 years of education.

I am just pissed off at the school in some ways because they never mentioned possibility of being dismissed if you fail two shelf retakes. All they said when students asked what they have to do when they fail retake is to remediate through extra clinical time. But now that I failed 2 of them, they are bringing the issue up. If they set this standard from the beginning and conveyed it across sooner, then I wouldn't have taken retake until I was positive I was going to pass it.

Mostly I am venting at myself for screwing up and at school for not dismissing me earlier when I had less loans.

PS. USCF, I didn't mean you think I have lame excuses. I am just saying the possible sentiment among the committee members. I appreciate your positive advice.

If you stay in and get into residency, you better bust your butt and learn your medicine. You're behind compared to your peers. There's a very real chance that you might get kicked out of residency. I think that medical schools are typically more lenient than residencies when it comes to giving people 2nd chances.

I am just pissed off at the school in some ways because they never mentioned possibility of being dismissed if you fail two shelf retakes. All they said when students asked what they have to do when they fail retake is to remediate through extra clinical time. But now that I failed 2 of them, they are bringing the issue up. If they set this standard from the beginning and conveyed it across sooner, then I wouldn't have taken retake until I was positive I was going to pass it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't really understand. I mean, I do understand feeling pissed - it is a natural defense mechanism. But you had to know that failure (and repeated failure at that) had consequences, right?

I know I made mistakes in terms of not putting in enough effort, and I would like to pay the price but not by getting dismissed from the school after 4 years of education.

Mostly I am venting at myself for screwing up and at school for not dismissing me earlier when I had less loans.

PS. USCF, I didn't mean you think I have lame excuses. I am just saying the possible sentiment among the committee members. I appreciate your positive advice.

Do you have a student handbook that clearly outlines all the promotion and graduation requirements?
That's the first place I'd look.

It kind of seems like they're also upset about this:
After third year I was so stressed out and decided to take a year off and do research, but I was not in my right mind and didn't start reserach until December. School found this out and put me on probation since basically I was "lying" about my research student status.

I think you need to have a plan for how to finish med school and how to match, and you should be very humble and avoid giving an entitled attitude. If they give you the boot, I think a lawyer would just be waste of your money.

If you can provide the school with documents from your psychiatrist you may have a shot at your argument before the promotions board. You need to have a serious talk with your Academics dean and figure out a plan for re-doing all the clinical work you're missing. Show them you're interested in making it better, Im sure they will help you.

Wow, that's too bad. What you should do is beg for a leave of absence and study hard for Step 1 and Step 2. If you can pass those, then it would be difficult for the school to dismiss you when you do return.

It's unlikely you will match in any residency (will have to scramble) but at least you will have a medical degree which is still marketable.

Just remember that despite all of your recent academic problems, you do have your options. You can consolidate all of your loans so that the payments are stretched over a period of 30 years. Interest rates are historic lows so it shouldn't be too bad.

Get in touch with a financial advisor and seek psychiatric counseling, too. You should also be medically evaluated for conditions that could affect your cognition (e.g., hypothyroidism, B12 deficiency, B6 deficiency, etc).

Last edited:
Wow, that's too bad. What you should do is beg for a leave of absence and study hard for Step 1 and Step 2. If you can pass those, then it would be difficult for the school to dismiss you when you do return.

It's unlikely you will match in any residency (will have to scramble) but at least you will have a medical degree which is still marketable.

Just remember that despite all of your recent academic problems, you do have your options. You can consolidate all of your loans so that the payments are stretched over a period of 30 years. Interest rates are historic lows so it shouldn't be too bad.

Get in touch with a financial advisor and seek psychiatric counseling, too. You should also be medically evaluated for conditions that could affect your cognition (e.g., hypothyroidism, B12 deficiency, B6 deficiency, etc).

Not for those of us who borrowed from the government at a usurous 8%.

Interest rates are historic lows so it shouldn't be too bad.
Yeah...that isn't true at all, actually. If anything, student loan rates are quite a lot higher than they were in the recent past. I guess things at Stewart U. are a little different than here in the U.S., eh?

Yeah...that isn't true at all, actually. If anything, student loan rates are quite a lot higher than they were in the recent past. I guess things at Stewart U. are a little different than here in the U.S., eh?

Yep, not true and the days of consolidating Federal loans at a ridiculously low rate are over as well.

That's too bad. I consolidated my loans for less than 3 percent interest. I suppose they had anticipated high inflation after the recent action to stimulate the economy. By the way, is Stewart U. for real?

That's too bad. I consolidated my loans for less than 3 percent interest. I suppose they had anticipated high inflation after the recent action to stimulate the economy. By the way, is Stewart U. for real?

Nope, this all happened like 3 years ago with the student loan scandal.

Nope, this all happened like 3 years ago with the student loan scandal.

I think the OP might still be eligible to lock in the low interest rates for loans issued before July 2006.

I think the OP might still be eligible to lock in the low interest rates for loans issued before July 2006.

Interest rates weren't low before then. They were like at 6.75% or something. I know because all of my loans were issued before then. The lowest interest you can get for your loans is the rate they were issued at.

Interest rates weren't low before then. They were like at 6.75% or something. I know because all of my loans were issued before then. The lowest interest you can get for your loans is the rate they were issued at.

It also depends on your credit history.

Sure are a lot of asshats on this board who do nothing to offer advice to the OP. I don't have a lot to suggest, have you passed Step 1? If so, I would appeal the decision of the school and work on making up the 3rd year clerkships you failed. I would present them with a clear outline of why you failed, and a strategy you have developed for succeding if reinstated. I would start now by utilizing all services available to you, from student mental health to tutoring services. I would also meet with course directors and professors for advice. These steps will show you are serious about your studies and making an effort/plan to comfront your psych/educational issues. I would meet with your dean and ask the process for appealing their decision, as I am sure a process has been developed.

So true!!, Ill just add consider using an "educational consultant" and regrouping your whole progam.. Also sometimes praying and divine intervention helps!

[I figure saying something constructive is better then offering no advice at all--- (I refuse to be total dead weight on this board) :luck:

By the way, a 220 on Step 1 isn't too shabby. You could request a leave of absence and seek psychiatric counseling (psychiatry, not psychology) and a medical evaluation. If anything abnormal comes up, it would be difficult to dismiss you. During this time off you could study for Step 2 and study for the two shelf exams you failed. A medical degree from a top 20 school will be marketable so you want to do all that you can to earn it while not going broke.

My credit was very good, and my student loans for college (2003-2007) are from 6-8%. We've been out of the 2-3% era for a good 8 years or so.

I last took out loans in 2003. I never carried a balance on my credit card or charged more than 20% of the allowed credit limit since owning a credit card because a balance of 20% or more adversely affects your credit score. I also never made any late payments. My interest rates are below 3%.

I last took out loans in 2003. I never carried a balance on my credit card or charged more than 20% of the allowed credit limit since owning a credit card because a balance of 20% or more adversely affects your credit score. I also never made any late payments. My interest rates are below 3%.

I think Al is right. Consolidating federal loans at less than what they were issued at is all in the past, regardless of credit. I also have good credit and could not get rates reduced.

I think Al is right. Consolidating federal loans at less than what they were issued at is all in the past, regardless of credit. I also have good credit and could not get rates reduced.

Yeah, the whole financial aid world changed in 2006 when federal loans switched from variable to fixed rates. It might be possible that the op could consolidate pre-2006 loans for a lower interest rate, but that won't help her with the last 4 years of loans.

If the op does decide to leave medicine, though, she might be able to consolidate her loans under the federal direct loan plan and qualify for the hardship repayment plan. If loans are a big issue, I'd recommend checking out the financial aid forum.

Really? that sucks. I didn't know you couldn't go below that number at all. What if I took out a private equity line against my house at a lower interest rate? Could I use that to pay off student loans?

None of which really helps us out now. Those days are gone. My wife and I both have great credit.

Really? that sucks. I didn't know you couldn't go below that number at all. What if I took out a private equity line against my house at a lower interest rate? Could I use that to pay off student loans?

I'm no expert, so I have no idea. I just thought I'd be getting ahead by consolidating my undergrad loans at a low interest rate only to find out that was a no go. The lowest rate they would give me is the average rate of the loans that I wanted to consolidate. All of mine were at 6.75%. I checked with several different places, but that's all I could get at the time.