4th year advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rada

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

I'm a third year trying to plan 4th year for a career in EM. Any advice of what to do and when to do it? What did you do for electives/selectives that you think was worth it? We have a mandatory EM rotation that I plan to try to start with, but other than that I'm still wondering. Thanks a lot. Looking forward to hear how you all did on the match.

Rada

Members don't see this ad.

If you can, I'd try to schedule your away EM rotation at the end of your third year -- we have no elective time at our school but sometimes students will postpone psych so as to get an elective slot. O/w, get your letters in early, turn your app in early, and just try and do your best. I would apply to >30 schools -- you can always turn down interviews. Apply to a variety of places to give you an idea of what's out there.

I did my two EM electives in the month of August and the month of November. I think the August month was a great move, it was in plenty of time for ERAS and LOR, and I got to really gleam a lot of "introductory EM" stuff that the residency had for its interns (I think a lot of basic teaching goes on the first few months)...

My November month was great as it was up in the Mid-East, and I'm down in FL. I got to knock out a few interviews while I was up there. I didnt' ask for any LORs at the time as most of the interviews were given out, so it was definately stress-free that month, I just had to atleast look good in front of the attendings/residents... I didn't have to fish for a LOR...

Q