4th year away electives--recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

energy_girl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all can offer some recommendations for places to do 4th year away electives. What are some student-friendly places (i.e. focused on education and making visiting students have a good experience), with lots of exposure to trauma, and preferrably not terrible hours? I would like to go back to Cali for residency.... any places there, or on the East Coast?

Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

energy_girl said:
hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all can offer some recommendations for places to do 4th year away electives. What are some student-friendly places (i.e. focused on education and making visiting students have a good experience), with lots of exposure to trauma, and preferrably not terrible hours? I would like to go back to Cali for residency.... any places there, or on the East Coast?

Thanks!! :)

You should go to a place you really want to go to for residency, because they will get to know you. At my program, Lincoln, I think the experience is good for students if you are interested in New York and seeing alot of trauma. PM me if you want to know some more.

Excuse me while I hijack this thread: how many outs should I do? I did one EM at home (DO program), and I have one out scheduled at an allopathic program. I'm thinking of adding one more out at a different allopathic place. Good idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
NKMU said:
Excuse me while I hijack this thread: how many outs should I do? I did one EM at home (DO program), and I have one out scheduled at an allopathic program. I'm thinking of adding one more out at a different allopathic place. Good idea?

I did two weeks at my home DO program during third year. I have two aways scheduled during fourh year one at a MD program and one at a DO/MD program. I don't know if there is a magic number for away rotations, but I'm guessing that two should be good.

Maximize your experience. If your first away was at a University setting, do your second at a county program, or if not interested in county do it at a private. EM comes in many different flavors and some aren't for everyone.

You should do your aways at places you want to go, AND at places that you know you can probably get an Honors...

what I mean by this is that there are some places out there that give the vast majority of their students HP as grades, even if they are stellar...which prob isn't a huge negative on ur app but an H looks better than an HP in any case

also, i second TBP's comments

oh, if you wanna be exposed to a lot of trauma....do a trauma rotation. Thats the best way to be exposed the most.

Good luck

JkGrocerz said:
You should do your aways at places you want to go, AND at places that you know you can probably get an Honors...

what I mean by this is that there are some places out there that give the vast majority of their students HP as grades, even if they are stellar...which prob isn't a huge negative on ur app but an H looks better than an HP in any case

also, i second TBP's comments

oh, if you wanna be exposed to a lot of trauma....do a trauma rotation. Thats the best way to be exposed the most.

Good luck
How would you know which programs pass out the honors?

trkd said:
How would you know which programs pass out the honors?

I don't know how a student could figure this out, besides perhaps word of mouth (very reliable). BUT, I have a suspicion that if the student finds out which programs dole out the honors, then the PDs have known for awhile, so it probably won't carry as much weight as you think. Similarly, if you go to a program with a rep for being stingy with grades, PDs know this too, and it will be reflected in your SLOR.

Bottom line: Don't let this info (if you can even get it) influence where you rotate.

Thanks for your comments.

Any specific programs you all can think of in Cali that would be good to rotate through? I would appreciate your "word of mouth"!

Also, would doing a rotation in November be too late?

Thanks again!

Denver is an option-great trauma, great teaching and you get hooked up with a mentor. However, I hear it is hard to get honors-but PDs know this. anyway, good luck!
streetdoc