4th year away rotation...where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franklinthedog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an avg UNC student who needs to pull up my Step 2 score (Step I was not good, i passed). I'm taking Step 2 in July. I plan on doing 1 month at UNC and another away. But where for the second one?

Areas I like....Please bear in mind, it is very important i get a lot of one on one time with attendings and go somewhere that I have a REALISTIC chance at getting into...ANY ADVICE???

Chicago
NYC (St Lukes/Roosevelt is good cuz 1-on-1 guaranteed time w/ attending, right?)
Charleston, SC
San Francisco
DC
Chicago
Portland

Members don't see this ad.

ANY ADVICE???

Hurry up! My away site looks like it is already full for September, judging by the amount of people on a group email they just sent out. Start calling these places and asking what's available and what the application involves - tomorrow!

Go whereever you want. Apply broadly, you can always turn them down.
Apply yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an avg UNC student who needs to pull up my Step 2 score (Step I was not good, i passed). I'm taking Step 2 in July. I plan on doing 1 month at UNC and another away. But where for the second one?

Areas I like....Please bear in mind, it is very important i get a lot of one on one time with attendings and go somewhere that I have a REALISTIC chance at getting into...ANY ADVICE???

Chicago
NYC (St Lukes/Roosevelt is good cuz 1-on-1 guaranteed time w/ attending, right?)
Charleston, SC
San Francisco
DC
Chicago
Portland

I can only comment about NYC. Of course, I have an inherent bias to SLR (I have to disclose). You will get a great rotation here. One on one with an attending. Procedures (minus intubations) on your patients are yours. A LOR from a NYC program will do you well for all NYC programs.

I would apply to several programs. PM me if you have particular questions about NYC

its not on your list, but i rotated at Indiana Univ. and it was awesome. i worked at the county hospital Wishard and would recommend requesting there if you decide to go.
i'm not sure what you mean by 1-on-1 but when I was at Wishard all of my presentations, workups, plans, help with 80% of my procedures was 1-on-1 with an attending. they had some of the smartests and funnest faculty i have worked with, and they would teach me something with every new patient. very EBM and practical approach. i also did a ton of procedures and was given a lot of autonomy there which was great. i don't know how you feel about indianapolis, but as a med-student the rotation there was the best for 1-on-1 attending time, fun, and number of procedures out of 3 EM months I did at various places

Somewhat relatedly... Denver, I was told, was full for Sept back in February. (How are there people more anal retentive than I?? :p) So people are right-- get crackin'!

I do know that Portland, Stanford and SLC (other programs I'm looking at) just started accepting applications for Sept on 4/1... so you're not SO behind.

i suck for not having applied earlier, oh well.

thanks to all, please keep the advice coming. i have tomorrow off, so the calls can be made for everyone across the country to tell me i'm too late...

any advice on the other places, the specific info you guys are giving about places is fantastic! thanks

f the dog

If you go to any new program, such as where I'm at (Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center), you will get 1 on 1 time with an attending. Very helpful for SLORs!

Q

If you go to any new program, such as where I'm at (Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center), you will get 1 on 1 time with an attending. Very helpful for SLORs!

Q

Having spent a bit of time at georgetown, I must admit that this is certainly true. Great 1-on-1 there with some very young, kick-a$$ faculty (and that was before quinn, so imagine how amazing it is now :D ).

Does the following sound good?

I've gotten apps for:

St Lukes/Roos in NYC
MUSC in Charleston
Georgetown in DC

What about middle of the road programs (in terms of competitiveness, not quality) in the Chicago area? Portland, Or? San Fran?

THANKS TO ALL FOR ADVICE, VERY VERY HELPFUL!

Does the following sound good?

I've gotten apps for:

St Lukes/Roos in NYC
MUSC in Charleston
Georgetown in DC

What about middle of the road programs (in terms of competitiveness, not quality) in the Chicago area? Portland, Or? San Fran?

THANKS TO ALL FOR ADVICE, VERY VERY HELPFUL!

Resurrection in Chicago has a GREAT MS4 rotation. Lots of face time with attendings (some of whom are well known nationally), good SLORs and a relaxed atmosphere condusive to learning. I loved my rotation there.

- H