1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

4th year electives and away rotations

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by sparticus, Dec 2, 2005.

1. sparticus

sparticus sparticus
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello. I am a third year studying at a small community program in Ohio with no ophthalmology program :( . I am really interested in opthalmology. Where would you recommend I do my 4th year rotation, to have the best chance of matching in ophthalmology? I really don't care where I end up as long as I am doing what I love to do :love: . Thanks. :) :) :) :) :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MicheleVet

MicheleVet DVM c/o 2005
    5+ Year Member

My husband is interviewing in Akron (sp?) so I would assume they have an Ophtho program. ;)

4. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello, I recommend Iowa or with Ben Glasgow at UCLA (Ocular Pathology).

Also consider Johns Hopkins and Wills.

5. rubensan

rubensan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I like Dr. Doan's recs. I also recommend USC/Doheny and UC Davis.

6. Visioncam

Visioncam Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Is sparticus in Toledo? If so, sparticus might be interested in knowing that one of Toledo's medical students went on to Pittsburgh, stayed on as faculty, and is well respected even though he's still young. I heard that he was #1 in his class but I only met him once at the Academy or similar meeting when he was a resident and I wasn't yet a resident.

Want to do the 4th year rotation at the Univ. of Pittsburgh. It's not a bad place at all. I ranked it somewhat high.

Or is sparticus in Dayton? Poor Ophthal. Chair at Dayton, got injured and they closed his department around 2001.

7. babyblue_39

babyblue_39 Member
    5+ Year Member

In general, as a 4th year going through the process right now, I'm appreciating the importance of having a LOR from a well known faculty member. So I would definitely advocate going someplace famous and being sure you will get to work w/ well-known faulty early enough to get a letter (by August - remember it takes awhile for LORs to be written) and then if you know you want to go to a certain program/region, you can do many more electives in that area (till about Oct/Nov when interviews start kicking up). But that is me speaking from less than 1 year of experience. Good luck!