4th year electives and away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparticus

sparticus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a third year studying at a small community program in Ohio with no ophthalmology program :( . I am really interested in opthalmology. Where would you recommend I do my 4th year rotation, to have the best chance of matching in ophthalmology? I really don't care where I end up as long as I am doing what I love to do :love: . Thanks. :) :) :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

My husband is interviewing in Akron (sp?) so I would assume they have an Ophtho program. ;)

sparticus said:
Hello. I am a third year studying at a small community program in Ohio with no ophthalmology program :( . I am really interested in opthalmology. Where would you recommend I do my 4th year rotation, to have the best chance of matching in ophthalmology? I really don't care where I end up as long as I am doing what I love to do :love: . Thanks. :) :) :) :) :)

Hello, I recommend Iowa or with Ben Glasgow at UCLA (Ocular Pathology).

Also consider Johns Hopkins and Wills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like Dr. Doan's recs. I also recommend USC/Doheny and UC Davis.

Andrew_Doan said:
Hello, I recommend Iowa or with Ben Glasgow at UCLA (Ocular Pathology).

Also consider Johns Hopkins and Wills.

sparticus said:

Is sparticus in Toledo? If so, sparticus might be interested in knowing that one of Toledo's medical students went on to Pittsburgh, stayed on as faculty, and is well respected even though he's still young. I heard that he was #1 in his class but I only met him once at the Academy or similar meeting when he was a resident and I wasn't yet a resident.

Want to do the 4th year rotation at the Univ. of Pittsburgh. It's not a bad place at all. I ranked it somewhat high.

Or is sparticus in Dayton? Poor Ophthal. Chair at Dayton, got injured and they closed his department around 2001.

In general, as a 4th year going through the process right now, I'm appreciating the importance of having a LOR from a well known faculty member. So I would definitely advocate going someplace famous and being sure you will get to work w/ well-known faulty early enough to get a letter (by August - remember it takes awhile for LORs to be written) and then if you know you want to go to a certain program/region, you can do many more electives in that area (till about Oct/Nov when interviews start kicking up). But that is me speaking from less than 1 year of experience. Good luck!