4th year externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pumpernikel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing a couple externships during my 4th year of medical school... I have some questions and was hoping someone might have the answers..
1) Is there an official website concerning this process to find which schools allow students from other schools to rotate through their hospitals?
2) Is there a generalized application that you can submit to different schools?
3) When is the best time to do your externships?
4)When is the best time to apply for externships?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Pumpernikel:
I'm interested in doing a couple externships during my 4th year of medical school... I have some questions and was hoping someone might have the answers..
1) Is there an official website concerning this process to find which schools allow students from other schools to rotate through their hospitals?

I am not aware of one. Your first stop should be the Student Affairs office at your school; they will undoubtedly have information on where former students have gone for externships. If none of these do it for you, then you can simply check school web sites in the area of the country you are interested (or specific schools in which you are interested). Most will have information on requirements for visiting students, electives offered, etc.

2) Is there a generalized application that you can submit to different schools?

No. Every school have their own application, but its generally just a page long - demographic stuff, which elective do you want to do and when, and then a place for your school to affirm that you are in good standing, have malpractice and health insurance in effect while away and will or will not be getting credit for the rotation. Its not like you'll have to send out dozens of apps to get a few acceptances for externships so its not likely to take lots of your time to complete.

3) When is the best time to do your externships?

I'd suggest first thing 4th year, assuming you hope to use that experience to apply for residency. Do it no later than October if you want to get a letter of recommendation from your supervisor and get it written, submitted to your Dean's office, ERAS, etc. in time for 2002 match.

4)When is the best time to apply for externships?

Since the summer/fall of 4th year is a busy time, I would suggest as early as possible. Several schools stated on their web pages that they wouldn't let me know if I was accepted for the externship until their own students applied, but this wasn't enforced in any of the schools. BUT beat the rush and start looking for places now, sending out the apps before students start registering for 4th year.

Hope this helps.