4th Year International and Away Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewRawTick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my fantasy 4th year, I want to do an international rotation and do some away rotations (at programs where I want to match). Plus, I want to take Step 2 early. Again, this is my fantasy world, where I have all my stuff together, the planets aligning and all.

What is a reasonable timeline to integrate something like this with applying to residencies during your 4th year (which starts, say, June)?

Keep in mind the following need to be accounted for:
- being overseas and not having a reliable mailing address, email connection, and/or phone (are there secondaries/supplemental apps prior to interview invites?)
- having enough time to put together a good application and personal statement
- not asking for days off at an away rotation so I can go to an interview at another program

I'm only a 2nd year, so I'm unfamiliar with life after boards.
Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

i'd recommend you go on your international rotation in february of your 4th year. this would be after all your interviews are done (normally november-january) and before the match (which is march). that way, you'd avoid missing important phone calls or e-mails that programs may have for you. i did an away rotation in india in february. you could also go in april keeping your graduation day in mind. also, once people find out where they matched, they need to look for a new apartment, etc...so remember that as well.

as far as rotations at other hospitals...do that in the summer/fall of your 4th year so that you can impress the programs + learn if you like them or not.